I have been off of Fosamax for about 9 months. Decided to get off after my Pharmacy, a Orthopedic Doctor, and two Dentist told me some real horror stories. I am now on nothing, just had my bone scan and my doctor said that my T-Score was about a -2.7. She said that is ok but it has been ok because I take Fosamax. Now what happens. I am thinking of taking "nothing" and see what happens. I am now on the Citracal with Vit. D faithfully about 3 times a day. My Internist wants me back on "something" what ever that means. I know she said Evista, or Actonel or back on Fosamax. I must say since I have not been on Fosamax my whole body feels a lot better. I am going to be 68 years old and I don't have that many aches and pains since Sept. 09. Has anyone out there had to make these decisions?
Yes, I've had to make decisions about treatment. Not having very many good options doesn't help.
After using Fosamax for 3 weeks, my stomach couldn't take it so after alot of hassles with doctors and insurance I was approved for Forteo. I used that for the 2 years, made good gains and then did not want to take bisphosphonates no matter how much my doctors promoted it.
I couldn't take the oral medication anyways, so they were suggesting IV infusins. I was afraid of bad side effects with a year's worth of medication infused at once. So after my bone density got in the -3.0's again my doctor finally got an exception and I was started on Forteo again for 2 more years. There's risks with it but so far my bone density is up 11.7%.
But next year I'll be in the same position as you trying to figure out if to take medication and what to take. I think mild osteopenia patients can get by without taking medications and use exercise and taking calcium but with my real low scores it seems like I have to be on some medication or another. Let us know what you decide to do.
I was taking actonel for 3 years and have been off for a few. I'm in limbo and waiting for a safer treatment that I can tolerate to come along. So far I haven't found any but let me know if you come across any? My last bone density test was a pinch better than my previous one, but the doctor feels I need to be on medication. My big concern about bisphosponates is hearing about more and more cases of bones shattering...ouch...how can they fix that?