It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
(male)

sukhui HB User
actonel causing hip pain

I have had osteoporosis for over two years and have been on actonel the whole time. For about 6 months or more I have been having pain in my hip joints when walking (exercising) It feels like a "catch" and is a dull ache, not sharp pain. I am a male and have been very active all my life. My bone density has improved since taking the actonel, but am I doing more harm to my joints by taking the meds? I have had NO side affects before this.

Last edited by sukhui; 05-02-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: left out info

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: actonel causing hip pain

Sukhui,
I"m sorry to hear that your having hip pain. You mentioned that you hip feels like it catches, have you had xrays to see if you have a structural issue such as muscle or ligament problem or gone to Physical Therapy to evaluate your hip pain? Anyways, I"m glad your bone density has improved.

I've been having terrible hip pain in both hips and can not lay on either side unless in a soft bed. Although some of the pain could be from low bone density I found out from my physical therapist that the pain was coming from a huge muscle spasm in the hip. Once it's stretched out by PT, the pain goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
(female)

beebones HB User
Re: actonel causing hip pain

Hi! I took Actonel for four years. Most of that time I also had joint problems including a very painful right hip. My neck also hurt and made loud snap noises that could be heard across a room! I was just generally achy and put it off as "old age". I stopped taking Actonel about 2 years ago and all aches and noises are gone. And I mean completely gone. I feel fantastic and young again! Don't expect your doctors to tell you that your aches and snaps are from Actonel - they won't - none of mine did, even though joint (and particularly hip) pain are common side effects with Actonel. I also had bladder problems from Actonel which my doctor swore "couldn't be" - then I found it under the "more common" side effects in the literature!! Sometimes they really know nothing about these drugs that they push on us. (I solved the bladder issue myself by drinking more water with my weekly pill - it was fine after that).
I considered my side effects to be mild compared to some, but it sure is nice to be pain-free! I take Strontium now and I'm having good results so far. If you are having good results with Actonel (I didn't), you might want to stay with it and try to alleviate the pain somehow (PT didn't work for me). Or you could try another osteo treatment. It's a quality of life decision, for sure, and yours to make. Good luck to you!!!!!

Closed Thread