It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

dahliaz HB User
boniva and necrosis of the jaw

My dentist thinks I may have necrosis of the lower left jaw based on his exam. He doesn't know what to do. My internist suggested a round of antibiotics. I did. Now more swelling.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: boniva and necrosis of the jaw

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you or have you been taking bisphosphonate medication for osteoporosis?

I would suggest that you get a second opinion from another dentist. There is another member here that had this and was treated, I hope she will see your post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

I just happened to go to the osteoporosis board. I had necrosis of the jaw and my doctor put me on IV antibiotics. It took a year to get rid of the infection and for the bone to stop dieing. One doctor said that they would put me on oral antibiotics and we'd just have to see. I told my other doctor this was unacceptable and I wanted this mess fixed. I'm happy to say that part is but I need another tooth pulled and can't since I still have too much of the biphosphonate in my system.

I definitely think that the IV antibiotic was the only way to go for me since we didn't catch it in time. However, it is an expensive option.

Please discuss these options with your doctor and try to get a hold of it now. I pray you will get better.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
(female)

dahliaz HB User

I was taking Boniva for 2-3 years. Have been to 2 dentists neither of which know what to do but are willing to admit it. Now have an appointment again with my internist.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

dahliaz HB User

Thank you. it is difficult to find a medical person who knows what to do. My 2 dentists did not know so I will go as far as I can with my internist and hopefully he will refer me if needed. Is this problem rare? If so why did we grab the brass ring?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I was on oral actonel for 3 years and had to go off for various reasons. I now have terrible jaw pain in the left side of my mouth. On taking an impression/mold for a tooth procedure I questioned why my jaw looked so collapsed in comparison to the other side. My dentist didn't know but thinks it's arthritis and said that they no longer do surgery because it doesn't help. I question if the actonel caused necrosis but he doesn't seem to connect or putting it this way, I don't think he knows what it is?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

That is common that dentists don't seem to know beyond their field. It is a more common incidence that they are having to become aware of. Dentists that read the latest journals to stay on top of the new technology and information tend to be the most informed. Unfortunately it's the ones that don't know that end up doing the most damage by pulling a tooth when they shouldn't.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)

dahliaz HB User

Thank you for the response. I think the worst is the not knowing.

Closed Thread