It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

nobones HB User
wondering

i just got diagnosed with osteoporosis last week. I am only 45 but went through early menopause most likely brought on by my multiple battles with anorexia. the last bought of it was around 40 and i stopped having my period (which is usually what happened) but this time it never came back...even after i put the weight back on. my doctor gave me a prescription for evista but after reading all the horror stories, i think i will leave it at the drugstore. i was wondering why, with all the controversy over the osteo drugs, that no one goes on hrt. wouldn't the risks of that be less than these biophosphates or the slight risk of breast cancer? i have no family history of breast cancer so i am thinking of asking my dr is i can go on that. anyone else have any suggestions or think that i am wrong. plus, does anyone know if there is a cutoff time for going on estrogen after menopause? thanks alot!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: wondering

Hi nobones and welcome to the board . I've never taken hrt, i've been lucky and never had the need for them. Do you know what your t-scores are? If you are looking for a natural option to build your density you might want to look into strontium citrate. It's a natural supplement you can get online that has few side effects and has proven to be effective in improving bone density for many of us here on the board. Its widely used in Europe and in many other parts of the world to treat osteo, but so far here in the states it hasn't been FDA approved. If you put strontium into the search box at the top of the page you'll find a lot of info about it or you can ask, there are plenty of members who will give you good info.

There is really no wrong or right way to treat your osteo, its a matter of deciding what is the right path for you to take personally. Your doctor has already told you how HE would treat it, but it's up to you to make the final decision whether to take the drugs, try the natural approach or go on hrt. Good luck..take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

nobones HB User

thank you so much for responding. i am afraid to post my tscores cause i don't want people to be like "omg" and make me feel beaten. I feel perfectly fine, actually better that i did in my 30's. about 4yrs ago i started really eating right, exercising (inc wt bearing) and stress management. that is why i was so surprised with my diagnosis. very scared...didn't know who to talk to since none of my friends have this. this forum is full of information. just having osteoporosis doesn't mean that bad things will eventually happen, does it? you sound pretty secure so you give me a feeling of hope. also, whose to say that maybe my numbers were even worse before and they are already getting better. afterall i don't have a baseline.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI nobones, i assure no one would OMG about your scores, regardless of the scores we are all seeking the same thing, better density. Even though you feel fine now your bone loss probably came from the years you were battling anorexia, which i'm very glad to know you have conquered. The calcium we have in our bodies is like a balancing act, you have to maintain a level where you replace what your body use. When you weren't eating right your body was taking calcium from your bones to fill other needs and you weren't replacing it food or supplements, thus bone loss. That's how a pharmacist explained it to me. You're playing catch up now to rebuild what you lost. What you're now doing has done good, but not as fast as you'd like it to. You didn't lose the density overnight so it will take time to see the gains. Just keep up the good work and be patient.

No, having osteo doesn't mean that bad things will happen, it just means that the chance of it happening may be a bit higher. There are many people walking around with varying degrees osteo who will never have a fracture and some with perfect bones who will. It's all luck of the draw.

I haven't always been optimistic about having osteo. Like you and everyone else in the beginning i was afraid that i would break at any minute, luckily I got over that pretty quick and made the choice to do the best i can to help my bones. It's all about making a few lifestyle adjustments...exercise more, eat right, take bone supporting supplements, stay active and live life to the fullest. You are still the same person you've always been and can do all the things you enjoy doing.

Now for the the last bit of advice in this post...relax, once the initial shock wears off you'll be able to see it more clearly and do what you need to do. have a good Sunday...take care..phyllis

Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

nobones HB User

thanks so much...you have made me feel much better. you have excellent advice...you must have experience in talking with people. it is a great gift and i am grateful that you share it. wishing you a good sunday too!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
(female)

Myth HB User

hi nobones, welcome to the board, may I suggest the first thing you do is buy the book 'the MYTH of osteoporosis' by Gillian Sanson
it is full of information on osteoporosis, its various treatments & will help dispell your fears...I wish I had it when first diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 49 they told me I have the bones of a 90 year old and every doc I saw asked me 'how did it get so bad' ? ..you can imagine how scared I was then.

ten years on after trying HRT, actonel, strontium, and various quack treatments I have finally found a safe & natural treatment that works for me... silica,vitamin D,calcium/magnesium & exercise have for the first time increased my bone density whereas everything else just gave me side effects...its important to remember here that we are all different & no one treatment works for everyone. so do some research find what works for you, be your own patient advocate.

myth

Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi nobones, i posted this last year and thought you might enjoy reading it. BTW, Myth gave you a great suggestion about reading the Myth of Osteoporosis, its a very good read that will help you immensely. You can get a copy at yoir local library if you don't want to buy one at this time.

We are all looking for the right things to do to help our bones, but sometimes we forget that its simple things that many times do the most good. take care...phyllis

1. Balance...an easy way to prevent broken bones is not to fall. Practice balancing exercises along with your weight bearing and weight training. Let's not forget good posture.

2. Keep active...no matter what we do during the day just moving and doing daily chores is exercise. It's all good.

3. Eat a balanced diet that includes all the right food and a few not so good, that we eat just to be happy. Chocolate does a body good .

4. Laugh often and heartily, its good for spirit and gives you strong abdominal muscles, which support the back.

5. Take your supplements, but don't stress about forgetting them some days. Stress isn't good for anything.

6. Listen to what you gut tells you, you'll know what's right and whats not for you. Everyone has an agenda to share or sell, some are good, some aren't, we have to decide for ourselves.

7. Don't let our less than perfect bones rule who we are...we are all much more than a dx given by a dr. who doesn't know us.

8. Enjoy everyday the best you can.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

nobones HB User

thank you so much. i am going to look it up on amazon right now and order it. how are you feeling now?

Closed Thread