It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Is there a safe treatment for Osteoporosis?

A few years ago I was on weekly actonel and remained on it for 3 years. During that time I developed terrible joint pain, and stiffness not to mention heartburn. After going off the severity of the joint pain got better but still have occasional joint pain. I also have questionable jaw problems on one side of my jaw. I do not know at this time if it is a cause of actonel.

Since I went off, I've been on calcium/magnesium/vitD. I occasionally lift weights. It's been a few years without the actonel? I've been waiting for a treatment that isn't a bisphosponate? Strontium isn't available here. I was thinking of once a month or once a year treatment but I'm scared to take another bisphosponate incase all the previous side effects come back. I use to be on evista before the actonel but they took me off because my bone density wasn't improving much.

Is there any new hopefuls out there? I'm starting to feel more and more aching as I age so would like some help ensuring my bones and increasing bone density.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Is there a safe treatment for Osteoporosis?

Hello,

A lot of posters here use Strontium Citrate, available in most health food stores and over the internet. Just do a search in the top left corner of this page and you can pull up lots of info on Strontium. Re your jaw probs - I'd bet my bottom dollar that it's from the Actonel. Most dentists in the US CERTAINLY ARE aware of the probs bisphosphonates can cause to the jaw. They get all the latest info on this in their association and medical journals, so your dentist really should be more up to date.

I highly recommend you read a book called ''The Myth of Osteoporosis'' by Gillian Sanson. It's certainly helped a lot of people with osteo and also helps put this so called ''disease'' into perspective.

Good Luck,

monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

Vintage Wine HB User

Thanks for the recommendation, Montesflus! I just ordered it from Amazon.

It's soooo true, how the doctors act like you skeletal system is just going to disentegrate instantly if you don't get on some sort of medicine. (BTW, did anyone catch Saturday Night Live last week and see the spoof on Sally Field plugging "Boniva"?) It was hilarious!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

About time somebody made a joke about Sally Field and her Boniva promotions. My stomach turns every time I watch that plug. Creepy

monte

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

So confusing. I just did a quick search on Boniva and Sally Field, I found some comments on her promo yet I didn't get to see the actual plug. At first just by reading the comments on boniva I was thinking hey, once a month, that's not all bad, but then I read some disturbing news about bisphosphonates used together with steroid drugs can cause jaw death. That put the brakes on any notion to even consider the once a month drug. Could that be the reason something painful is happening to my jaw? Who knows, my dentist thinks it's disintegration from arthritis. I used both actonel at the time along with prednisone. Think I better try and find some strontium. I'm in Canada and they did some research and testing on strontium, but it never passed the okay, I will have to look up their reason.

It makes me upset that we are the Guinea pigs for these drugs.

Last edited by dorri; 05-25-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri View Post
So confusing. I just did a quick search on Boniva and Sally Field, I found some comments on her promo yet I didn't get to see the actual plug. At first just by reading the comments on boniva I was thinking hey, once a month, that's not all bad, but then I read some disturbing news about bisphosphonates used together with steroid drugs can cause jaw death. That put the brakes on any notion to even consider the once a month drug. Could that be the reason something painful is happening to my jaw? Who knows, my dentist thinks it's disintegration from arthritis. I used both actonel at the time along with prednisone. Think I better try and find some strontium. I'm in Canada and they did some research and testing on strontium, but it never passed the okay, I will have to look up their reason.

It makes me upset that we are the Guinea pigs for these drugs.
You should be able to find some good online sources of Strontium Citrate that will ship to Canada. Strontium Citrate is considered a supplement, not a drug, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem to order it online. Or you could probably find it at a health store if you have those in Canada. SC has really worked for me with zero side-effects. I was on prednisone for an extended period of time. I was really worried about increased bone loss but I just continued taking the strontium, calcium, magnesium and Vit D and my bone density improved even though I was on prednisone. Strontium hasn't been approved by the FDA in the US either but, in my heart, I feel it is better than most of those other nasty options. Could be worth a try for you.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, last year I checked with Health Food Stores in our area and no one carried it, but I can check with them again incase they have brought it in since?

I haven't had much time to research the strontium trials. The little I did read was there was a small chance of clots, and caused diarrhea and gastric upset in some, but I don't get it, was that enough to give it a thumbs down? to me those side effects are minimal and not nearly as nasty as some of the other meds for osteoporosis, there must be more. When I have time I will have to look into it more. It could be that they are holding for now, waiting to see some long term effects of the European countries where it is allowed before they allow it in our countries?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Strontium ranelate has not been approved in the US because no American drug company stands to make money from it. It is manufactured in France. It is interesting that we can freely buy strontium citrate which seems to be equally effective since it is marketed as a supplement not a medication. Anyway, the better news is that Amgen's new osteo drug (Denosumab) is likely to receive FDA approval in July (stay tuned!). It belongs to an entirely new class of drugs (monoclonal antibody) and promises to grow good quality new bone with minimal side effects. It will likely be pricey and insurance companies will probably give it a hard time, at least initially.
Good luck one and all!
Caol

Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

So interesting.. I will have to research this new hopeful.
Groan....Canada is about 5-7 years behind in the meds they allow and sometimes they don't pass it even though the US gives their approval.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just looked it up and Canada has done some trial studies on it, and from what I understand this is a promising drug awaiting Canadian Health approval. Maybe I'm understanding something wrong? We'll see, hopefully it will be an answer for all those who can't take bisphosponates and other osteoporosis drugs.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I don't have osteoporosis, but I had some mild bone loss (-15%) that is now reversed (-5%). I never took any medication for it, but I believe the bone regrowth was due to a few things: 1) surgery that stopped menstruation and 2) elimination of milk from my diet. Pasteurized dairy products actually leach calcium out of your bones.

I hope that in addition to finding a safe drug, you also try a diet that is free of dairy products, refined/processed food, soda pop, sugar, and anything artificial. This will help you keep the bone you already have.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arggg View Post
I don't have osteoporosis, but I had some mild bone loss (-15%) that is now reversed (-5%). I never took any medication for it, but I believe the bone regrowth was due to a few things: 1) surgery that stopped menstruation and 2) elimination of milk from my diet. Pasteurized dairy products actually leach calcium out of your bones.

I hope that in addition to finding a safe drug, you also try a diet that is free of dairy products, refined/processed food, soda pop, sugar, and anything artificial. This will help you keep the bone you already have.
Thanks, I'm lactose intolerant so stay away from milk products. I have a few sips of coke once a year. I seldom eat sweets but once in a while I will enjoy some cake etc, but I do put sugar in my tea. I rarely drink coffee. The bone thieves for me are menopause, crohn's disease, being too thin, and prednisone.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Good news! Prolia (Denosumab) has been approved by the FDA and should be available shortly. It is an entirely new class of anti-osteoporosis meds (monoclonal antibody), has been remarkably successful in the tests, and should have fewer side effects than the bisphosphonates. The drug is administered as a twice-yearly injection. It is quite expensive and is approved only for post-menopausal women who have already experienced a fracture who cannot do bisphosphonates for some reason. A glimmer of hope, at least!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is good news but I take that it has been approved in the states, I wonder if Canada approved it? while I never had a fracture (and hopefully never will_, I am at high risk for one and cannot take bisphosphonates. I guess they may make some allowances in exceptional cases.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

It's good to hear there's another option available. I went to the website and read about the side effects. Unfortunately, jaw necrosis is a side effect of this medication too.

Closed Thread