It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
(male)

lonesomedove51 HB User
Dr Visit Today!!!

Although I barely understand those T scores, and I did ask him to run me a copy of the results so I could keep it for my records, I hope some of you can help me understand this T score Business. From what I understand, They take 3 measurementes. One at the wrist, one at the spine, and one at the hip. Then the way I understood it, they then take the lowest or worst reading to make the diagnosis.

I think I read somewhere that if you had a reading as low as -2.5 you were diagnosed as haveing Osteoperosis. Then is you were lower than -2.5 they then considered you as haveing severe Osteoperosis, So the lowest reading I got was in my left hip. The reading was -4.18. He wasn't too happy with that. He said I had prettry severe Osteoperosis.

So after he did his best to describe it to me, he went ahead and wrote me a prescription for the forteo, and the Pin Needles to give yourself the injections with,and HE ALSO GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR CALCIUM 1200 TO 1500 .

And he wrote a prescription for Vitamin D. He told me that some folks did okay with it and did not experience any side affects, and then some did such as pretty bad nausea. He went ahead and wrote the prescriptions so I would not have to make another trip back down there. He is in a different town than Iam.

He said not to fill them yet because he would have to get it appoved first. He also said he had this lady who would teach me how to give myself the injections. So thats where we are at . He talked like the reading of -4.18 was not good at all. One thing I asked him was about the screws in my neck. He said he would not worry about that yet. I had one other thought but I forgot to ask him about it.

Could there be any way that me wearing a prosthesis on that side since 1995 could have had anything to do with this? Any other help would greatly appreciated. Is, just readimg you what was in the report. Thanks everyone. You all seem to be very good folks. I suppose it may take him a week or so to get it all approvred. I just hope they do. I only have medicare but not medicaide. As expensive as it is, if they even wanted me to pay the 20% there is no possible way I could do so. Have a good evening my dear friends.

Don & "Miss Angel"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Dr Visit Today!!!

Hi,
A noormal T-score is 1.0 (+) and osteoporosis -2.5 and lower bone density. My socres are around -3.0 and some in my spine are -3.7. I think it means about 50% bone loss when I looked it up. Also, mine can be seen on plain xray as tin bones which means quite a bit of bone loss for me. That really scared me but it doesn't mean you will break a bone. The measurements taken for me were done on one hip, my spine, and then the side view of the spine.

It sounds like the doctor gave you a prescription and he's requesting insurance authorization in the mean time. Some doctor's get starter kits from the pharmaceutical companies and can give you a free first pen but it doesn't sound like you got that. My insurance only pays for the Forteo and supplies to be ordered from a speciality pharmacy and shipped to me at my house. It's cheaper for them that way. If that's the case the doctor needs to provide the prescription to your insurance so it can arranged.

The injections are really easy to do and there should be instructions and I think a video on line at the Forteo website.

I had to fight my insurance company to pay for the Forteo and my doctor and I both filed an appeal. I don't know how medicare handles this but someone else might.

I take Calcium citrate and buy it at Costco but if you can get your insurance to pay for it all the better. Mine has Vit D in it.

As far as your prosthesis causing osteoporosis it doesn't seem likely. Could you be putting more stress on one hip than the other? Even so, I would describe osteoporosis as systemic because the bones are not growing fast enough to keep up with the old bone dying off.

I hope you get all your prescriptions approved.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

lonesomedove51 HB User

He I believe said he looked at my spine as well as my hip. At the hip The score was minus 4.18. He said that was pretty bad. Do you think a score of Minus 4.18 is severe? And one more question if you don't mind. Does the medicine make you nauseated?

Don

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Yes normal bone density is +1.0 and -2.5 is osteoporosis, and any score below that such as -4 is severe bone loss. From what you describe, your hip bone loss is worse than your spine. So if your walking is uneven due to more weight on your good hip then your prosthesis hip just be careful.

My spine boss loss is worse than my hip so I just try and be careful not to fall or run into things that will jar my back.

The Forteo injections don't make me nauseated. The only thing is my skin has some small bruises from the needles and I try and inject in different places on my abdomen so the skin doesn't get worn out.

Closed Thread