It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

titch4ma HB User
Dexa Scan - High T-scores

I have recently had a Dexa Scan. I have received a letter from the Consultant Physician & Rheumatologist saying that I have high T-scores. Can anyone tell me what this means.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Dexa Scan - High T-scores

Hi,

You could ask for a copy of your Dexa report so that you can post the numbers here. "High" is a relative term. I think people here could better respond knowing the actual numbers.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

titch4ma HB User

Thanks for your reply. I only received the letter today and all it said was that the DEXA scan showed that my T-scores were high and that on my visit to the Consultant we should discuss my Alendronate therapy.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

You really should be told what exactly your scores are. So that you can research this alendronate. I suspect it is a biophosphate, and that being the case, has many many serious side effects. Doctors will consider anything over 2.5 a seriously high. My initial scores were -3 in the lumbar spine, which was also classified as seriously high. That was in 2008. I have since reversed it without biophosphates. I have used diet, exercise, vitamins(calcium citrate and D. and also Strontium. Admittately it does take dedication. But it is worth it. Biophosphates stay in the body for ten years. And if you have any type of gerd problems, they pose even more of a problem. I have reversed my score to -2. I am now mildly osteopenic. You should do some research, and read the book "The Myth Of Osteoporosis". It's a real eyeopener. I don't know your age , but if you are an older female , it is normal to have some bone loss. This does not mean your overall bone strength is not good. My grandmother had osteoporosis and never fractured anything. Let us know your scores and age, and you may find a lot of help on this site. I did. And I am very thankful for it. Also when you take biophosphates you cannot usually have any major dental work. You will be at risk for Jaw necrosis. And most dentist will not even work on you. Not trying to frighten you , just being honest. Ask question on here, you will find the right answers. This is a great sight. All the Best!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Yes, I would also suggest calling the doctor's office to get your exact T Scores. Mine were in the -3 range which my doctor called "Low" bone density even if the number is higher than 1.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
(female)

titch4ma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatojuice View Post
You really should be told what exactly your scores are. So that you can research this alendronate. I suspect it is a biophosphate, and that being the case, has many many serious side effects. Doctors will consider anything over 2.5 a seriously high. My initial scores were -3 in the lumbar spine, which was also classified as seriously high. That was in 2008. I have since reversed it without biophosphates. I have used diet, exercise, vitamins(calcium citrate and D. and also Strontium. Admittately it does take dedication. But it is worth it. Biophosphates stay in the body for ten years. And if you have any type of gerd problems, they pose even more of a problem. I have reversed my score to -2. I am now mildly osteopenic. You should do some research, and read the book "The Myth Of Osteoporosis". It's a real eyeopener. I don't know your age , but if you are an older female , it is normal to have some bone loss. This does not mean your overall bone strength is not good. My grandmother had osteoporosis and never fractured anything. Let us know your scores and age, and you may find a lot of help on this site. I did. And I am very thankful for it. Also when you take biophosphates you cannot usually have any major dental work. You will be at risk for Jaw necrosis. And most dentist will not even work on you. Not trying to frighten you , just being honest. Ask question on here, you will find the right answers. This is a great sight. All the Best!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
(female)

titch4ma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatojuice View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have been trying to get hold of the Secretary to the Consultant to find out the exact T-Scores but have not had much luck. Will keep trying though. My age is 55 coming up to 56. I was speaking to someone in Pathology at the hospital I work and she also mentioned biophosphates. On reflection my condition seemed to worsen last year after I got back from a holiday in Austria. I had an Outpatient appt for my low Calcium and my Alfacalcidol was changed to Calcitriol, although originally I was given too high a dose to start which did have an adverse effect on me and raised my Calcium level from 1.7 to 2.9 in ten days. Whether this has anything to do with the pain I am in at present I do not know. It's like a restless legs feeling but with a lot more pain and the muscles/joints seem to have a burning sensation. I am definitely up for helping myself without medication and to be honest would rather do so if atall possible.

Regards Chris

Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
(female)

titch4ma HB User

I have now seen the Consultant and apparently my Dexa Scan was normal. Thanks for all your comments.

Closed Thread