It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Dexa results - osteoperosis with -1.6 Tscore?

I'm a 51 year old male, 74" height, 220 lbs. I had a dexa scan done with these results

Lumbar Spine T score -1.6 BMD 0.917 g/cm2
Left Hip T score -0.6 BMD 0.944 g/cm2
Left Femoral neck T score -1.4 BMD 0.739 g/cm2

The diagnosis was Osterporosis. Why is this not Osteopenia? Specifically it says:

DIAGNOSIS (based on BMD alone): Osteoporosis

Any ideas on this? I'm not sure how to interpret the BMD numbers and if that is the reason for the diagnosis. I thought diagnosis was based on the T score.

Thanks

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-18-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Dexa results - osteoperosis with -1.6 Tscore?

Hi hayfarmer, welcome to the board. I don't know why your dr. told you you had osteoporosis, those are very good scores. I've always thought score values were standardized, but there could be a chance that your dr/radiologist has a different set of number to go by. I doubt this, but it is possible. Is there a reason the dr. had you have the the scan done? People don't usually get a DEXA at your age unless there is a reason to check. He didn't suggest any of the meds did he? From you name i'm guessing you are a farmer and do plenty of hard work everyday, which has kept you bones strong.

You might want to call your dr. and ask him about the dx or maybe ask for a second scan on a different machine to compare the scores and see if there was maybe a mechanical error.

Until you talk to your dr. and get some answers don't stress yourself about the results. The scores you got are ones that we would all like to see on a DEXA report. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Thanks for your reply Phyllis. I have hypogonadism, low testosterone, for about 10 years now. I have treated it but there was probably a 2-4 year period before I knew I had it and as treatment started where T remained low. Low Testosterone for men is a major cause of bone loss so I read. My orthopedic doctor ordered the test but had a nurse tell me the results and tell me to see my primary doctor for treatment, which I thought was strange. She just read the diagnosis to me and then I went and got a copy of the radiologists report. So the only "Dr" that says it is Osteoporosis is the radiologist. I have thought of trying to see if I can call him somehow. It may be a good number for this board but it scares the heck out of me because my father just died due to complications from a broken back from osteoporosis.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Hayfarmer, i didn't mean to make light of you scores, but they are still good. With your secondary cause being treated, you can work on getting the oterr scores. We have mainly women here with either postmenopausal bone loss or loss from other causes like you. Mine came from Grave's disease, hyperthyroidism and which, like you, i probably had off and on for several years before being dx and treated. With that said your scores are much closer to being normal than to osteoporosis and you have time to make changes help improve them. Talking to the person who read your scan is great idea, they will be able to she light on the readings better than a piece of paper.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, that explains your concern. Was he previously dx with osteo or did he only find out after the spinal fracture? Sorry i can't be or more help. take care...phyllis

Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Thanks Phyllis. You have been a great deal of help because you have confirmed my initial thought the dx was probably an error. Also, I did not realized I could improve my scores....I thought the best to hope for was to prevent or slow them down from getting worse.

My father was never diagnosed to my knowledge. He had lots of other health problems his doctor was treating him for but this one was missed. He was 80 when he passed away so he still had a pretty full life but I sure wish he had been treated for the osteo.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello again, you bet you can improve your scores, but it takes is a few lifestyle changes. Weight bearing exercises and weight training are helpful in building density. A healthy diet including both dairy calcium and non dairy calcium sources. Taking supplements that are good for your bones..calcium, D3, and magnesium are good basic ones. These are things you can do without resorting to the osteo meds now available. Look up osteoporosis and you'll find all kinds of info to help you make the changes. One thing you should do soon is read the book the Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson. It offers a wealth of info about it and helps alleviate the fear of hearing the dx. It's been very helpful to a lot of people who are newly dx.

Over the last 4 years i have improved my bone density doing these things. I also take a natural supplement called strontium citrate. I'm not quite in the normal range yet, but will keep up doing what i've been doing and see what happens.

When your Dad broke his back did it happen from an accident or spontaneously? A traumatic fracture from a car accident or fall off a ladder is different from a non traumatic fracture where you are doing nothing the bone breaks. Non traumatic can happen with severe osteo. Men aren't usually tested unless there is a reason or cause the dr. is looking for. I found out i had it when i did a heel test at a local health fair and then had a DEXA to confirm it. This was 2 years after the graves dx and treatment.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of a farmer are you or is it just a name you picked? what part of the country do you live in? have a good weekend, take care..phyllis

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

I already do a lot of the things you mention. I already take 50,000 iu a week of D3 and my vitamin D 25 OH level is currently 61. I also do a lot of exercise. I have not been taking calcium or other supplements though and I have been on Nexium for several years and I'm wondering if that is preventing absorbtion of the calcium in my diet.

Farming is not my main ocupation but I do have a small hay farm. We are cutting and baling this week, later than it should be done here in Virginia but the weather has not coopertated. You need at least 3 good days in a row with no rain and we have not had that since early May until just this week.

My father's fracture was due to a fall from a standing position so I guess it was traumatic. He became paralyzed several weeks later. The doctor reversed it with surgery but said the osteo was so severe his bones were like sand and warned the vertebra could easly break more. It did, he became paralyzed again before he ever even got to walking. He ended up getting a blood clot in his leg that went to his lung, a pulmonary emobolism. He could not overcome that and died a few days after it happened.

It is a beautiful weekend and I am enjoying it here but tomorrow will be my first father's day with no father so it will be a sad one for me. Thanks for your advice. It is nice to have people help each other here. I have made many posts to help others with low testosterone on the Mens Health board too.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi,
Osteoporosis can be hereditary so that's perhaps why your doctor gave you the Dexa scan to test for it. I agree with Phylwill, your T scores show minimal bone loss but it's worth improving it if you can. It sounds like you already started with this.

Sorry to hear your father passed away due to the aftermath from a traumatic fall. Can you spend tomorrow with some other family members for support?

The weather this year has been crazy everywhere. I hope it stays dry so you can bale the hay.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
(male)

lonesomedove51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
Thanks for your reply Phyllis. I have hypogonadism, low testosterone, for about 10 years now. I have treated it but there was probably a 2-4 year period before I knew I had it and as treatment started where T remained low. Low Testosterone for men is a major cause of bone loss so I read. My orthopedic doctor ordered the test but had a nurse tell me the results and tell me to see my primary doctor for treatment, which I thought was strange. She just read the diagnosis to me and then I went and got a copy of the radiologists report. So the only "Dr" that says it is Osteoporosis is the radiologist. I have thought of trying to see if I can call him somehow. It may be a good number for this board but it scares the heck out of me because my father just died due to complications from a broken back from osteoporosis.
I had a scan a month or so ago and I didn't think men got thos problem. But to my surprise my T score was -T 4.18. They told me I had very severe Osteoperosis. I know I have had a lot of pain lately in my fore arms and my thigh, and other places, I just wonder oif it is because of the Osteoperosis. I am going to begin with the Forteo next week. I am so scared Iam going to break something as my score is so bad. I guess I will just pray that all goes well. I was told the if you had a score of -T 2.5 thats when they diagnosed you with Osteoperosis. Thats what scares me so bad is because mine is a lot worse than that. I just learning about thos so I am not sure. Thats what I was told though. Gopod luck to you.

Don

Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

better have your testosterone level checked too. If your hormones are whacked out it will be very hard to improve your numbers.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
(male)

lonesomedove51 HB User

Quote:
better have your testosterone level checked too. If your hormones are whacked out it will be very hard to improve your numbers.
Hopw do I do that my friend? Just asked the Dr.? Isds it just takeimh blood from your arm like he usually does? I donm'yt know anything about this desease As much as I know it could because of the inhalers I tale for Chronic CPOD.I Take advair 500/50 and have for years. I take Spiriva Handihal;er, I talke albuiterol for my rescue inhaler.

I have been briken all over to begin wotjh and Iam, an amputee on the left side. Starting from the top of my head, I had to have an eye lid coprrected when I was a child. One lid drrooped. Then at about 20 I was involved in a very severe car accident which broke my righ thinmgh in 3 seperate places as it crashed into tjhe dash. I also broke my left leg as well when the foot on that side somehow got up under the seat and we hit that mans house doing almost 90 miles and hour the impact threw us into the dash, and somehow my ankel and foot got slid under the seat, and when we were thrown back by the inmpact it just turned my ankle all the way around faceing me. So mu right thinmg was broken in 3 places and my left ankle was twisted all the way around crunching all tjhose bones up.

Then I began haveing surgery after surgery trying to save my left leg. The out screws, pins, staples and everything they could to tru and fix it but nothing was successful. I suspect I had 3 to 4 surgerys here in m,y small town of Sheby before they sent me to Kinmgs m,ountain where the did several more on me there. Finally when they got me down to Charlotte whoch is a big town with a huge hospital. The doctors down there did mulitple surgheries there as well doing everything they could to save the leg. They took bone fronm each of mu hips and used it in ,my ankle. I probably had 5 surgeries down there. Imn all I must have had 30 to 35 surgeroies in all at 3 hospita;s just working on my left leg. While the whole time I was in full traction with my other leg. . Well finally I got to come home in a body cast. I stayed in that thing for months and months and I was just like a board. I had to be carried everywhere.Over the years I continued to have one surgery after the other trying to save this leg.Finally, in 1996 the dr looked at me and told me I needed to get rid of that leg and get a prosthetic one. Thats what I have now. Their were several surgeries with that trying to get the fit right. So just with mu eye lid and my leg, I had already had around 35 to 40 surgeries. Then I had to have not one, but both shopulder Cuff Repairs done on each side. Then after that I had to have my gall bladder removed. Then I got something called coxxydinnia and so they had to do a coxxyectomy on me. All they did was tale about 2 inches off my tail bone. Then somehow while I was in that Body cast I developed Kidney Stones. I had the first one while I was encased in that body cast. They were goimgh to take me to surgery, cut a hole in the front of my cast, do the durgery to remove the stone and then re mud me back up. Thankl God I [passed the stone about an hour before I was to go under the knife again. I came back home in my cast, and passed 5 more at home. Then suddleny I developed a hernia in my groin area. I had to have yet more surgery. That was about a 6 to 8 week recovery. in about a year I had to have yet a second hernia at the same site. Then to beat all I had to have a 3rd surgery and a recovery for a 3rd hernia. Then one day my cervical spine in my neck began to huirt so bad I couldn't stand it, so they do another surgery and take bone from the bone bank and install 3 titanium plates in the back of my neck. They are still in there held in with 8 screws. Then believe it or notI had to have additional surgery to emove a crucial vien from my left leg that was in henderance to me wearinmg my prosthesis well. So Another surgery to do that. Well After they sent me home after the tail bone surgery, somehow I managed to pick up a staph Infection in the hospital and I got on a terrible shape. I like to have never gotten rid of that infection. I remember the only antibiotic that would work cost around $3,000.00 a month. So Iam 58 at present and have been under the knove of a surgeon for my entire life.The guy that was actually driving the car only broke his jaw, and in about 6 weeks with his mouth wired shut he was fine. I have suffered muy emtire life. Still am. Now they are telling me that my T Score is -T 14.18 HE said that was quite severe and I am to go on the forteo medication which can make me nauseated, and have leg cramps for which I hate. But what am I to do. I am hurting all over now and my pain is not being suffieciently controled. I was referred to a Pain Clinic where I have been for years now, amnd they have me on Methadone, 20 mg every 8 hours for chronic pain, and also lortab 7.5 one in the am and one in the Pm for break through pain. I am going to have to speak to them because my pain is growing worse and is not being controlled. Iam sorry to have had to tell you all that, but I wanted you to have an accurate picture of what I have been through. Iam on the Methadone 20mg every 12 hours. Iam on 3 inhalers for the COPD. They are Albuterol, Spiriva, anbd Advair 500/50. I am on Alprazolam 10 ,g twice daily for anxiety,I am on a nasal spray called Rhinocort, and I know there are about 4 more I cannot even remember. He is telling me now that my score is so bad I can just step off a curb abd break my foot. Or bump into the wall a little har and break mu hip. Me being an amputee, I have to be soooo very careful. Iam just getinmg started and Iam scared. They say they don't know a lot about this drug, and it also cost so terribly much. Will it relieve pain? I am going to really have to be careful being an aputee with this stuff. I don't guess I have a chice do I because it is sio bad. I didn't think men got this stuff. I talked to the rep today and she says I will only have to pay $6.30 a month for my part. I will have to purchase the needles seperately. I am so hoping I don't experience the nausea, or anu of the side effects listed. Its late and I know I have probably misspelled nearly everything, I apologise and hope you can make it out. Iam extremely down an depressed because I just wionder what is going to be mext. They said one place that rats they had given it to got a tumor. So that has be scared as well. But I do not have a choice. He says I have it bad. I guess I will have to start in about a week. I think I may ask my brother if he will spend the night with me that first night. I know this has bee long folks and a lot of words are mispelled, but Iam in pain and its getting late, and Iam going to bed. May God bless each and every one of you and I pray that he will shower his blessings upon us all.

Your friend, Don

Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
(male)

lonesomedove51 HB User

Quote:
How do I do that my friend? Just asked the Dr.? Isds it just takeimh blood from your arm like he usually does? I donm'yt know anything about this desease As much as I know it could because of the inhalers I tale for Chronic CPOD.I Take advair 500/50 and have for years. I take Spiriva Handihal;er, I talke albuiterol for my rescue inhaler.

I have been broken all over to begin with and Iam, an amputee on the left side. Starting from the top of my head, I had to have an eye lid corrected when I was a child. One lid drooped. Then at about 20 I was involved in a very severe car accident which broke my right thigh in 3 seperate places as it crashed into the dash.

I also broke my left leg as well when the foot on that side somehow got up under the seat and we hit that mans house doing almost 90 miles and hour the impact threw us into the dash, and somehow my ankel and foot got slid under the seat, and when we were thrown back by the inmpact it just turned my ankle all the way around faceing me. So my right thigh was broken in 3 places and my left ankle was twisted all the way around crunching all those bones up.

Then I began haveing surgery after surgery trying to save my left leg. They put screws, pins, staples and everything they could to try and fix it but nothing was successful. I suspect I had 3 to 4 surgerys here in my small town of Shelby before they sent me to Kings Mountain where the did several more on me there. Finally when they got me down to Charlotte which is a big town with a huge hospital. The doctors down there did mulitple surgheries there as well doing everything they could to save the leg. They took bone fronm each of mu hips and used it in ,my ankle. I probably had 5 surgeries down there. In all I must have had 30 to 35 surgeries in all at 3 hospitals just working on my left leg. While the whole time I was in full traction with my other leg.

. Well finally I got to come home in a body cast. I stayed in that thing for months and months and I was just like a board. I had to be carried everywhere.Over the years I continued to have one surgery after the other trying to save this leg.Finally, in 1996 the Dr looked at me and told me I needed to get rid of that leg and get a prosthetic one. Thats what I have now. Their were several surgeries with that trying to get the fit right. So just with my eye lid and my leg, I had already had around 35 to 40 surgeries. Then I had to have not one, but both shoulder Cuff Repairs done on each side. Then after that I had to have my gall bladder removed. Then I got something called coxxydinnia and so they had to do a coxxyectomy on me. All they did was take about 2 inches off my tail bone. Then somehow while I was in that Body cast I developed Kidney Stones. I had the first one while I was encased in that body cast. They were goingh to take me to surgery, cut a hole in the front of my cast, do the surgery to remove the stone and then re mud me back up. Thankl God I passed the stone about an hour before I was to go under the knife again.

I came back home in my cast, and passed 5 more at home. Then suddleny I developed a hernia in my groin area. I had to have yet more surgery. That was about a 6 to 8 week recovery. in about a year I had to have yet a second hernia at the same site. Then to beat all I had to have a 3rd surgery and a recovery for a 3rd hernia.

Then one day my cervical spine in my neck began to hurt so bad I couldn't stand it, so they do another surgery and take bone from the bone bank and install 3 titanium plates in the back of my neck. They are still in there held in with 8 screws. Then believe it or not, I had to have additional surgery to remove a crucial vien from my left leg that was in henderance to me wearing my prosthesis well. So Another surgery to do that.

Well After they sent me home after the tail bone surgery, somehow I managed to pick up a staph Infection in the hospital and I got on a terrible shape. I like to have never gotten rid of that infection. I remember the only antibiotic that would work cost around $3,000.00 a month. So Iam 58 at present and have been under the knive of a surgeon for my entire life.The guy that was actually driving the car only broke his jaw, and in about 6 weeks with his mouth wired shut he was fine.

I have suffered muy entire life. Still am. Now they are telling me that my T Score is -T 14.18 He said that was quite severe and I am to go on the forteo medication which can make me nauseated, and have leg cramps for which I hate. But what am I to do. I am hurting all over now and my pain is not being suffieciently controled. I was referred to a Pain Clinic where I have been for years now, and they have me on Methadone, 20 mg every 8 hours for chronic pain, and also lortab 7.5 one in the am and one in the Pm for break through pain. I am going to have to speak to them because my pain is growing worse and is not being controlled.

Iam sorry to have had to tell you all that, but I wanted you to have an accurate picture of what I have been through. Iam on the Methadone 20mg every 12 hours. Iam on 3 inhalers for the COPD. They are Albuterol, Spiriva, and Advair 500/50. I am on Alprazolam 10 mg twice daily for anxiety,I am on a nasal spray called Rhinocort, and I know there are about 4 more I cannot even remember. I am also on oxygen 24 hours a day at 2.5 lpm's a daywhich is supposed to be 24 hours but I have just been useing it at night. He is telling me now that my score is so bad I can just step off a curb and break my foot. Or bump into the wall a little har and break mu hip. Me being an amputee, I have to be soooo very careful. Iam just gettinmg started and Iam scared.

They say they don't know a lot about this drug, and it also cost so terribly much. Will it relieve pain? I am going to really have to be careful being an aputee with this stuff. I don't guess I have a choice do I because it is so bad. What will make it harder is I live all alone except for my little Shi-Tzu "Miss Angel" I didn't think men got this stuff. I talked to the rep today and she says I will only have to pay $6.30 a month for my part. I will have to purchase the needles seperately. I am so hoping I don't experience the nausea, or any of the side effects listed. Its late and I know I have probably misspelled nearly everything, I apologise and hope you can make it out. Iam extremely down an depressed because I just wonder what is going to be next.

They said one place that rats they had given it to got a tumor. So that has be scared as well. But I do not have a choice. He says I have it bad. I guess I will have to start in about a week. I think I may ask my brother if he will spend the night with me that first night. I know this has bee long folks and a lot of words are mispelled, but Iam in pain and its getting late, and Iam going to bed. May God bless each and every one of you and I pray that he will shower his blessings upon us all.

I have about gotten to the point I can't keep my apartment cleaned as I like. I live in HUD apartments. Well at least I got a lot of this off my chest didn't I? I sure thank you for listening. I was just about to go off the deep end with the worry and anxiety. To beat all I just had to go pawn my Gold College Ring
for $50.00 just to have enough to make it until the 3rd when I get me disability check. I had my car breakdown and so it caused me not to have enough to make it the entire month. Those of you who believe in the power of prayer haw about remembering me. Those who don't just think about my situation and be my friend Okay? Thanks to each and everyone of you for being here.

Don & "Miss Angel"
Your friend, Don

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Don,
I'll let the experts on this board answer your osteo and osteo drug questions. I don't have much knowledge there. Testing for testosterone is a blood test. They take blood from your arm just like any other blood test. I would just discuss with your doctor why you have such a severe case of osteoporosis and what could be tha cause of it. It may be the inhalers you are using are responsible. One known cause for men is low testosterone which is why I suggested you test it. I find that too often doctors will treat a problem wihtout trying to find the root cause if it. Many times the problem, like osterporosis in your case, is a symptom of a larger problem which the doctors miss.

You've had a tough time it sounds. Best of luck to you.

Edit: Don, I forgot. Don' worry, you will be in the prayers of many. You have quite a story there and none of us wish anything but the best for you.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

Hayfarmer,

A possibility for the osteoporosis diagnosis:
If one of the areas is at osteoporosis level, the whole hip or spine is considered osteoporosis. There is some debate on using the score from the lowest score. Some doctors use the average total score, and some use the lowest score. The hologic machine uses total average. With the numbers that I see it would be hard for any area to be low enought to drag you down to an osteoporosis level. In fact you are not much below "normal" score.
As always the best place for answers is your doctor.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Thanks for your post. The report did go by the lowest score and said it was -1.6. I guess I will have to ask the doctor.

Closed Thread