It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Should I just stop getting bone density tests?????

Hi! Ten days ago I had a severe allergic reaction and had to take predisone for 10days, the last time I had to take predisone was in 2009 after a back operation. My bone density plummeted big time. I have another bone density in 2011. My question is, "do I really need to go and have a bone density test done considering I already know the outcome?" Is it useless anxiety to get a test when I pretty much know what the test will show? At my age right now heading to 72 there really isn't a urgency anymore about anything, unless it is a emergency!! I get all the calcium and vitamin D I need, I eat well, I garden, (I would mention exercise but gardening is exercise,) so I think I may just boycott the bone density machine and say "the heck with it." I do not want to sit in front of a set of numbers and ruminate when I cannot change what is "is." I think I will just sit in my rocking chair listening to my Bose music, reading " The myth of Osteoporosis."
Thank you for listening, I just needed to say it!!!! Blessings

Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Should I just stop getting bone density tests?????

Hi Wildflowers,

I made a personal decision some time back to not have any more bone density tests done. I don't entirely trust them and somewhere in the back of my dense little mind is the suspicion that Big Pharma sponser these machines for the precise purpose of getting people all worked up and worried in order to purchase their darn poison pills! Just my personal thoughts of course. Also, even though they supposedly check bone density, they DON'T, and CANNOT, CHECK BONE STRENGTH!

Keep well and nice to hear from you again.

monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank You Montesflus,,,,,,you made me feel soooooooo good! I couldn't agree more, that makes two of us boycotting the ole" bone density "make us all crazy machine." It seems once we find out what those magic little numbers on the machine is telling us about our bones, we spend time ruminating about it and it changes our life. I am not a frivolous individual, I weigh my decisions carefully and it just does not compute, make sense to me. Like you Montesflus it is my own personal opinion and I thank you for sharing yours with me. Blessings!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm going to have one in early August and it may be my last one. I'm 64, white, 5'2" and weigh about 110. Supposedly high risk because I'm a petite white female. My two previous scans showed me at -1.6 and got a dx of osteopenia. Well, now, how do we really know that since we don't know if I was born with that score!?!? They don't do these things for a baseline at a young age so I don't see how the score actually has much bearing on anything at all. I've been doing weight lifting twice a week since the last scan so will be interested to see if it's impacted my score. However, I really don't think I'll do another one though. And I'm not taking the meds either. My doc tried to talk me into one (forget which one) but it had a caution for people allergic to sulfa drugs. Well, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and she nor her nurse even knew it had the caution on the med!

I'll just keep eating heathly, jogging and lifting weights...and be happy....

Old 07-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
(female)

Canna HB User

I agree forget about our scores and do what we can to prevent fractures... Yah!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

I respect everyones personal opinions and decisions, as we are all individuals. But in my case I look forward to the test. I am having another one in December. If I had not had the first one, I would not have known that I had Osteoporosis, and would never have set out to have a healthier lifestyle and diet(exercise, weights, vitamins etc). I was able to reverse it , and now have mild osteopenia, and I am 60. I go to the gym(which I have come to really enjoy) at least 4xweekly, and lift weights now 2xweekly. I want to reverse this completely, so that is what I am looking forward to. The dexa can tell me that. I also have read and believe that with weights anyones dexa, at any age can be lowered. If someone choose to sit in a rocker at 72, thats their choice. I am going to run a marathon in october.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
(female)

Canna HB User

Good for you Tjuice you truly are an inspiration. I like to know that my scores dropped but I can understand when people say that dexa's don't measure strength and when they get discouraged my feeling is to think about preventing fractures instead but you are proof that density can be reversed by lifting weights and supplements... Best Wishes for greater density Did you go back on strontium citrate?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I haven't had a bone density test in about 4 years. After my diagnosis I had several scans and tried every osteo drug available. I wasn't able to tolerate any of the drugs, and I just got too upset each time I had a bad score. After reading "The Myth of Osteoporosis", I decided to just take plenty of calcium, vitamin D, exercise, etc. I don't see the point of worrying over something I can't do anything more than I am about. I am 66 years old.

Last edited by Piano0105; 07-06-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Canna...I also believe that maybe dexa's don't measure bone strength. And believing that...in the beginning, when I was scared to death that I might break something just bending to take something from the fridge, gave me the courage to start relaxing, and getting on with my life, and ultimately to start walking more, buying a pedometer, and ultimately to buy light weights and use them. I don't think that anyone with osteo should just give up. Exercise, especially the weights is the key. There have been countless studies that prove, even in the very elderly improvement can be had. And I personally know women older than myself who have reversed it. I had breast cancer in 2008, so I had to stop all vitamins and strontium for 4 months during chemo and rads. I did though continue to exercise, and a few months later my dexa showed an amazing improvement. As to your question about strontium citrate. I stopped taking it about 3 months ago. I took it for three years, and I remember reading somewhere that in the studies for the renalate 3 years was the recommended time. Also I really cannot afford it anymore. I will have another dexa in december. They give you one every year when you have had cancer, because they don't just test for density, thy also test for any possible spread of the BC in your bones. I had many lymph nodes removed from my right arm, besides my right breast. Even though my rt. arm is somewhat weakened, I still use the weights. I registered to run in the Susan B. Komen " Race For the Cure" in October. It's 39 miles in one day. It amazes me how healthy I feel. After osteo and Cancer. I see old men and women at the gym all the time. A good work out just feels so good. It's like a shot of adrenaline or something.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm glad that I got my first DEXA because I was considering back surgery and found out that I have to raise my bone density before having surgery. It could have been a disaster not knowing I had very low bone density. The repeat tests are ok with me so I can regulate what I need to do to work on this problem. Also, to convince insurance to pay for the medications by having evidence I require treatment.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
(female)

Canna HB User

My TJuice you are very inspiring I wish you the best of luck in Oct... you will certainly have to keep us tuned on how you do. You must be so proud of yourself. Yes we know that the lower the bone mineral density on the dexa scan the higher the risk of fractures and heavens knows we do not want fractures. I had one nearly three years ago so at high risk for another but luckily with supplements and exercise and foods etc it was my first and last. I don't have another dexa until a year from this fall.. they have it down to two years now because I improved some and like you I will be looking forward to my increases ... all the best to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi everyone It is perfectly o.k. to have your bone density test if you feel you need one, want one and would love to keep track of your numbers as they go up or go down. I do feel however there are some of us who feel we do not want to, need to, and that's o.k also!!!! I am not sitting in a rocking chair all the time, only when I am reading or listening to music, I garden, I walk, I do all the healthy things that all the literature on osteoporosis tells us to do, I am a good student. I said in my first posting it was my own personal opinion to maybe to consider not having a bone density test anymore, it is my own personal opinion and choice. I celebrate with all of you when you have good news, no matter what you are choosing to use to help keep your bones healthy and strong. I have been there, done that when it comes to worrying about my bone density. Somewhere between a persons first diagnosis of osteoporosis and learning to live with the diagnosis of osteoporosis a peace settles into your life, you move on, it doesn't have a hold on you anymore, you cease to be frightened, fearful. I felt that somehow if I did not do all the things that I was told to do by my doctor etc. that my whole body would fall into itself. I haven't done anything more now then what I was doing at the time I was diagnosed, I was living a healthy lifestyle and I continue to do so. I am so happy that the diagnosis of osteoporosis made me crazy only for a short time until I really got it all. I now embrace it, and my bones are at peace finally. Blessings!

Closed Thread