It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

BonyChick HB User
Do I need to be freaking out?

Hi Ladies,
I just had my first scan recently and they called me with the following results. Doc wants me to start taking Fosemex.

T-Score
spine -1.9 z-score -1.0
femoral neck -2.0 z-score -1.1
total hip -1.7 z-score -1.2

I wasn't that surprised, since I went into a premature meno at 38 from cancer. I'm 52 now and otherwise healthy, thank god.

Do I need to be freaking out? I wear 3 inch heels to work everyday and now I'm paranoid everytime I take a step! This stuff really does a number on your head and I refuse to let it. So, I'm rebelling and started doing P90X three days ago and love it.. Maybe it will help... After having chemo and all, I really don't want to put any more drugs in my body.

Please let me know what you think and thanks for all the inspiration on this board...it really helps.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Do I need to be freaking out?

HI BonyChick, welcome to the board . No, you should not be freaking out, you should really be happy to see scores like that. All your scores are well in the osteopenia range. Exercise, healthy diet and supplements should be enough to keep those score and even improve them. Are you taking calcium, vit D3, magnesium and good multivitamin? There are other supplements you can take but those are the basic ones to start with.

I like your attitude, don't give into what your doctor says. Do your own research, learn all you can and do what you think is best. Your doctor can advise you what to do, but its your choice to follow his advice of go your own way. I'm not familiar with PBOX90, but have heard its a killer workout. Does it include weights? OH, and BTW...you won't break. You should read the book The Myth of Osteoporosis (which you don't have) by Gillian Sanson. It's a very informative book loaded with lots of great info that will put things into perspective for you. It also helps many get rid of the scare factor. You can get a copy at your local library or buy a copy. Have a good weekend. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

BonyChick HB User

Thank you Phyllis. I appreciate the input and will definitely get a copy of the book. I was confused by the scores at first, since the doc put a diagnosis of osteoporosis on the report.. I checked the T-score scale on nof.org and you are right...it says osteopenia. So much for what he knows. Regardless it certainly is a wakeup call!

I've been on HRT for years, but have not kept up with taking calcium. Believe me, I will be now. The P90X does involve weights or resitance bands. It is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've been doing Pilates for over a year and nothing compares. So far, hubby and I have only been able to do about 15-20 min. a day. I love the mental challenge...and just keep pressing on!

Have a wonderful weekend
Susan

Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi BONYCHICK...I don't think you have anything to freakout about. If I had swallowed a fosomax pill, I would be freaking out. Your scores sound great, especially for your age. And osteopenia is much easier to reverse than osteoporosis. Although I was able to reverse mine with just exercise and vit, diet etc. Your on the right track with the pxo. Probably spelled it wrong. I also went through chemo and rads. And it was right after that, that I got good results. 3 inch heels everyday doesn't sound very good for anyone. But that's my personal take. I guess if your used to wearing them. Flats are in style this summer, and probably more comfortable. I was freaked when I first heard the news...afraid to bend over to pick things up..etc. The doctors get their info from the pharm companys, who want to scare you into spending your money on biophosphates...made from the same materials that they make soap scum remover with. They even make commercials using Sally Fields to convince you how great they, and that they are the only way to go. It's a scam. Good luck to you. You will be fine. They seem to be recommending biophosphates to everyone lately. When they first came out it was only offered to scores above -2.5. They just get greedeier and greedier. Pardon my spelling.

Closed Thread