It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

nesbitgirl HB User
Troubled About News

Hello, I'm a 57 yr. old female. At age 45 I was diagnosed with Osteopenia in Spine (Tscore of -1.0) and Osteopenia in my hips (Tscore of -1.5). After 12 years of exercising (not steady) and trying to eat right (in my dreams), taking Bone Up supplements, Calcium, Vit D, Miacalin (for 3 years), Natural Progesterone (for 4 years), Boniva for the last 2+ years, here are my latest Dexa scores: Spine Tscore of -1.5 and Hip Tscore of -2.7. Note: Dexa scores 3 years ago before starting Boniva were Spine Tscore of -1.5 and Hip Tscore of -2.5. All this stuff I've taken and my hip just gets worse! I don't understand. Now the Doctor wants me go for blood work to test my hormone levels and CBC and Vitamin levels. Then she mentioned a once a year injection of Reclast. Lord have mercy, I don't like the sounds of that! What do the experts out there think?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Troubled About News

Hi,

I don't think your numbers are that alarming at all, especially if you look at the Z score rather than the T score. The Z score compares your numbers to other people in your age group. The T score compares those numbers to a thirty year old. But looking at your numbers, injecting with reclast seems like overkill, to me.

Have you read the book The Myth of Osteoporosis by 'Gillian Sanson? It will put this issue into perspective for you.

Best,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Troubled About News

A couple of my doctor's were pushing me for the yearly injection of either Boniva or Reclast and I didn't do it. Luckily, I was approved for a second two years on Forteo but will be faced with the same issue when I'm finished this time.

The side effects of the bisphosphonates can be really severe if you get them. I would hate to be given a year's dose of medication which I'd be unable to get out of my body for an entire year! I had almost agreed to quarterly injections but I'm not sure they offer those anymore. I did ask my doctor why if the injected medication supposedly stays in your bones for 10 years would a person need yearly injections. She really couldn't answer it and only said that over time the medication wears off. Not an acceptable answer to me.

If you took one bisphosphonate , Boniva and it didn't make a difference. I'd be asking your doctor what's the difference in being given a yearly injection. I assume the bisphosphonates work the same whether taken orally or by injection.Good luck with your decision.

Closed Thread