It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

BrittleD HB User
If I didn't break a hip with that fall!

Hi everyone.

I took a really bad fall at my local grocery store. I slipped on some liquid that was in the middle of the floor that I didn't see and I took a really hard fall and landed right on my left hip. I don't think I have ever fallen that hard before in my life. My DEXA says I have 3.5 in the hips, if I'm really that bad why didn't I break? I don't know about this osteoporosis thing. It makes me wonder Maybe I'm not so brittle after all.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: If I didn't break a hip with that fall!

EXACTLY! That's been my point all along re DEXA scans. I had my first (and only) one done about 4 years ago. I'm not having any more, because I don't trust those machines and I also believe that BigPharma has an interest in them too. OK, I did my one and only, and was diagnosed with osteopenia in spine and osteoporosis in dual femur. Have fallen SEVERAL times since, and never fractured anything. Hard falls too! These machines only check the density of bones, not the STRENGTH of bones. I take calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, vit d3, omega3 fish oil capsules and lots and lots of brisk walking and lifting moderate weights.

monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm glad to hear you didn't break your hip. You did get it xrayed right? Were there any signs indicating a wet floor? There should have been. I fell on my hip before,landing on a wet floor and injured my back permanently even before I had osteoporosis, make sure you get checked out fully, hip, leg, back, neck, wrist, etc., in the coming weeks because sometimes injuries don't show up right away.

I figure my hip has some padding if you know what I mean but still a hard fall and no fracture is great news. I think the bones are easier to break the older we get even without osteoporosis, I guess not as strong. Take care and heal.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Montesflus,

Those are my thoughts exactly too. Thank you!

Taape,
The floor I slipped on had a big blob of meat juice that had driped out of another shoppers cart I guess, and no one knew it was there so there was no warning at all. It had dripped in different spots. I didn't see it at all because there were people in front of me so when I walked past them...down I went. No, I have not had anything xrayed, I did think about it but I try to stay away from xrays as much as I can now. I have had so many it the last few years since being told I have osteoporosis. I'm fine I'm sure. Thank you

Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Britt, glad to hear that you didn't break anything when you fell. I'm surprised the store didn't insist you get an xray if not for your well being, but to protect themselves. Taape is right, an injury could show up in the near the future, so beware of any new aches or pains you may get. You fell on your hip, but your whole body took the impact as well. Do you have a bruise at the site of impact?

I think your -3.5 score means that you have a 3.5x's greater risk of a fracture that someone with normal density. It doesn't mean if you fall hard you WILL fracture something, which you just learned. That's how it was explained to me and it makes more sense than being told if you fall you will break. take care...phyllis

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi Phyliss,
I'm glad I didn't break anything either. I did get a bruise on my hip, thank goodness I had a little padding there, but not much. Now I'm getting nervous that something might pop up after that. The store did write up an accident report and was suppose to call the next day to see how I was doing but I didn't hear from them. I might have also hurt my shoulder a little too but it's also feeling better too. I'm glad I didn't hit my head
I'm not sure if anyone ever explained the 3.5 score to me before. Thank you phyllis

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Britt, like i said i don't know if that is100% accurate, but it was the best way i could understand how the score work. Makes sense since when you look at the big picture while there are women breaking hips and such there are so many more who may never break a bone. Its too bad we only hear the bad stories and not more about those living active lives e with osteo, like us

How are you feeling this morning? Have a good wekende, take care...phyllis

Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Thank you, phyllis.

I'm feeling just fine, no problems at all.

Have a great weekend too! Take care.

Closed Thread