It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
New Report-Calcium Supplements Increase Heart Attack Risk

I just read a report stating calcium supplements can increase risk of a heart attack by up to 30%. Apparently after a long study this information was just reported today. I am getting so tired of new studies reporting information that makes everyone think that what they're doing is wrong. I'm not sure now whether to keep taking calcium or not. The full report can be seen at the Fox News page.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: New Report-Calcium Supplements Increase Heart Attack Risk

Thanks...I missed that one. After 3 years of Reclast(hate that drug but it did work) and all the calcium pills, I gave up and started eating tons of cottage cheese and yogurt hoping I get enough through my food. I feel so much better. And I put my foot down with my doc and said Reclast every 2 years...the new recommendation for osteopenia....even he didn't know that.

That drug may work but it makes me sick for a month!

thanks again............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

I heard the same reports and the bottom line seems to be that we should get our calcium from an assortment of calcium rich foods and not just dairy rather than a supplements. It seemed to me the problem came from the supplements, not what comes from food. I also think you would have to look at the individual to see if they have risk factors for heart problems that calcium supplements could accelerate. Maybe an option would be to get half from supplements and half from food. have a good weekend...take care...phyllis

Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hmmmmmmm. I also just read that article on Fox News page. They don't specify specifically WHICH calcium supplements cause the most damage, as there are different kinds (citrate, carbonate, coral etc). Unless they mean ALL of them. Hmmmm. It made me laugh when they said at the beginning of the article ''swallowing those TINY pills''! - TINY! Most calcium supplements that I know of are usually HUGE and I usually cut them. I actually use calcium citrate. I may decide to cut back, not sure. Will discuss with doc (who'll probably suggest a bisphosphonate) - but that's one option I'm not willling to take.

But who knows. In another few months they might come out with other studies advising differently. That's what seems to happen so often these days, it's enough to make one go bonkers

Ho-Hum.

Happy days,

monte

Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hmmm... I remember reading something about that years ago, so I decided to take 500mg of calcium and the rest from food. I am going to go down to just one 250 mg pill a day. On the other hand my womens multiple has 200mg of calcium in it. I might just take that by itself, and see what happens at my next Dexa in December. I'll save some money that way too. I became a vegan about 4 months ago. I read Jonathan Faers book"Eating Animals". I don't really reccomend the book, unless you have a strong stomach. It was truely horrific what these factory farm animals go through. In any case I have not been able to even eat an egg, let alone chicken or beef. I would eat wild salmon, but not farmed. They really suffer. Being vegan I find myself eating many more vegetables, bok choy, all kinds of cabbage and kale. They are full of calcium. Although the soil that our food is grown in is so contaminated from the sludge dumped on farm lands, who knows what we are actually eating. I also read online that maybe frozen veg are better than fresh, because of the time factor. I think it best to rely on a little bit everything, and not to overdo vit, exercise etc. I exercised so much about 6 months back that I developed plantar fascitis in my foot. I had to go to physical therapy for a few months to get it to heal. I'm back in the gym, but I go at a slower pace.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
(female)

shewolf75 HB Usershewolf75 HB User

I took calcium supplements for years with no ill effects until I was diagnosed with advanced calcium in any form. I just depend on diet now, and I think it's probably a good thing. It just seems wierd to me that I tolerated 1200-1800 mgs of calcium before taking osteoporosis meds but afterwards it would upset my stomach horribly. Now I feel 30% safer not taking calcium, and my age, that's a good percentage!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI shewolf, you brought up an interesting observation. I wonder how many of the women in the study were currently taking or taken osteo meds and how many never had. Maybe there is a connection between the meds and calcium that brought on the heart problems. Or maybe something in how the supplements are made. With so many side effects to the drugs that could be one that they are just now finding out about. I also wonder about what other factors they took into consideration when coming up with the number, like previous heart problems, family history, general health and such. Have a good weekend, take care...phyllis

Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Yesterday my sister in Germamy faxed me a big article from a German newspaper about the problem with calcium. She knows I'm taking calcium (about 1200 mg per day) for years already. I'm a senior and can't believe all these reports coming out over the years about the pros and cons about medications. I don't believe anything anymore.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Smile Re: New Report-Calcium Supplements Increase Heart Attack Risk

For me this was true. A low blood calcium test got to take some supplement. but my heart began to race. then i remember people on caclicum channel blockers. i stopped taking them and my heart rate went back down. it can depend on the person the source. it is best get them naturally and my low calcium was from a kidney problem. i take and rx for a mega dose of one thing and my calcium is back to normal.
listen to your body not what everyone says or rights about minus the studies. just because your sister takes them and is fine does not mean they are for you. i now tell people get your levels checked before you take antihng. then try nature first. if yoiu are severely lacking in a mineral then take a pill. ex vit c in high doses flushed out, iron does not and can become toxic. but no one lables the supplements that way and the fine print on rx is a bit to fine and small for most people.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

The amount of calcium to cause heart attacks in the study was at least 500 mg. a day.

If calcium supplements are dangerous, I can only imagine just how dangerous the biophosphonates are, we probably don't even know the real truth about them, even though we know about some of the bad side effects.

I would assume that lots of women take calcium supplements, but female heart attacks from any cause don't seem to be that common, I am in my 50's, and I have only heard of 2 women who have suffered heart attacks in my entire lifetime, and they were mild, and the women are still alive. It hard for me to believe that heart attack risk when taking calcium supplements goes up 30%.

My Mom has belonged to two senior citizen social clubs for 7 years, and only one 70 year old woman has suffered a very mild heart attack since Mom joined the clubs, and some women in the clubs are over 80 yrs. old.

I read that the calcium channel blockers control high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. Maybe if a woman does not have these conditions the calcium supplements wouldn't be harmful? Other the other hand, if a woman does have these conditions, are her calcium supplements to blame?

A while ago I read that women with the healthiest bones get half the calcium from supplements and half from diet, and with other natural methods of retaining calcium like proper nutrition, exercise, sunlight, maybe we don't need all those calcium supplements anyway...

Last edited by jacal5; 08-02-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
(female)

Myth HB User

the report on calcium does not tell us what type of calcium was studied nor does it take into account any combination calcium supplements such as magnesium or vitamin D which is often recommended when supplementing

it has been long known that calcium can deposit in the arteries if it is not accompanied by half as much magnesium, it is magnesium that helps the body properly absorb calcium ,vitamin D helps keep calcium in the bones and there are other co-nutrients , such as silica,manganese,vitamin K , boron,
all necessary for bone health

I do believe the report is incomplete and alarmist , if it tells us anything at all
then it tells us that calcium should not be taken alone ...but we already know that and the researchers are only just catching up

myth

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
(female)

osteopenia1 HB User

You are correct Myth, the study did not say if it was calcium alone or with D3, magnesium or other things that help calcium work. I understand organic calcium or plant based is like food and the study recommends we use that type of calcium. By the way I contacted E-zorb which I take and they said their calcium is plant based and therefore organic so I will continue to take it since my bone density test shows I am normal after taking it for 4 years.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
(female)

Myth HB User

hi osteopenia, I tried E-zorb, for me it was a very bad experience
if you do a search of these boards I posted a warning about it
just remember there is a lot more to bone health than calcium

Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I actually was using, until a few days ago, a calcium citrate supplement which also contained magnesium as well as vit.d3.

So now what to do? I had thought of taking strontium citrate, but posters have said it needs to be balanced with a calcium supplement too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's what I understood. Couldn't it be balanced with calcium from diet? So now the question remains. To take - or not to take?

I'm not holding my breath re advice from my doc. Chances are he's not even aware of this new study. And if he pushes a bisphosphonate onto me, he can tell me good-bye! I know there's other stuff, such as Evista and some sort of a nasal fish spray (forgotten the name). Have heard they don't work particularly well.

I shall wait and see. I'm not of the opinion that osteo (at least for a large majority of us), will necessarily cause us serious probs. Obviously there are some with family histories, take certain meds, or have had certain procedures, or cancer treatment, which could maximize their risk for a fracture. On the other hand, there are many who don't even HAVE osteo yet suffer fractures.

I'm taking a big breath and waiting for further studies .........

monte

Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI monte, the calcium that balances strontium can come from food. It doesn't matter what form just that you get enough. take care...phyllis

Closed Thread