It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

4boystolove HB User
Help please - new to the board....

Hi - can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? I had to see the physicians asst. last time I went to my rheumy and she did not explain anything to me except that my numbers have gotten worse. They gave me Phosmax (sp) but after reading alot of messageboards I have yet to take it and kind of don't think I will.
I have hypothyroidism, SLE, Sjogrens syndrome, hashimotos. PLUS I have been on prednisone for 15 years. Currently weening myself from it. I am a 48 year old female.

Region BMD T-Score Z-Score Classification

AP Spine (L1-L4) 0.917 -1.2 -0.6 Osteopenic
Femoral Neck (Left) 0.854 0.0 0.7 Normal
Total Hip (Left) 0.997 0.5 0.9 Normal

Thanks, I consider myself pretty strong and I am petrified over all of this. Are my scores really really bad?

Thanks everyone.

Kathy

Sorry for the mess of numbers but when I previewed it before I sent it, it jumbled them all up. I hope someone can still read them for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help please - new to the board....

You need to fire this doc. To think they wanted you to take Fosamax with those numbers without some sort of discussion on other options is reprehensible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI 4boys, i agree with titchou, those are number that anyone here would love to have. With 2 out of 3 in the normal range and the other barely into the osteopenia range, your dr. is making an unnecessary recommendation. Those meds are for people with much worse scores, not ones like you have. There are so many little things you can do to improve your score, not that much is needed, that for you at this time drugs are not the answer. If you have doubts go see another dr., have another DEXA and see what the new one has to say. With the secondary causes you have it is amazing that your score are so good, you much have gotten good genes from your ancestors. Now, go out, relax, and have a good weekend. take care...phyllis

Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
(female)

4boystolove HB User

Thanks you gals for getting back to me. I have been freaking out for over a week now. I am so happy I decided to get on this board and look up this med. It was the Physicians Assistant who ordered this prescription. The doc wasn't even at that office that day. I won't fire the doc but will mention it to him when I go in Oct. I actually feel pretty strong. My back hurts but its a pain I live with. With the Lupus its pain all around.

I am happy to hear that my scores weren't as bad as I thought. I have been freaking out and did order "the myth of osteoporosis". I am looking forward to reading it. I am hoping I can improve my dexa scores from now until the next time i have a scan.

I agree that these docs and PA's are so quick to give you any kind of med. I really did think that she jumped the gun and had me freaked out that I should take this drug. I think I will go have some MILK and cookies for breakfast. Have a wonderful day!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

Agree with the gals.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

4boystolove HB User

Thanks - I feel so much better reading all I can on this board. I hope I can help someone out someday!

Closed Thread