It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Strontium and finger nails...

Hello, hope everyone is keeping cool this hot, hot summer. Personally i'm ready for fall and winter. I was talking to friend, who also takes strontium, and she ask me about my nails and teeth. She said since starting strontium she's noticed her nails were stronger and grew longer and that she hadn't had any new cavities. I have noticed my nails growing faster and stronger but didn't give the strontium much thought until she mentioned it. I did make the connection with cavities, since some toothpaste already contain strontium. Now we have to think, is it the strontium making our nails better or the combination of calcium and strontium? Now we know another nice benefit of strontium besides better bones, fewer aches and fewer cavities. Have any of you noticed better nails since starting it? Have any of of those just taking calcium noticed a change? have a good week, take care...phyllis

Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: Strontium and finger nails...

Hey Phyllis, do you know what brands of toothpaste contain Strontium? I've looked at about 5 different brands and can't find one that has it. Are you using one with it in it? If so, did you have to buy it at a health food store?

I sure could use this since my jaw bone loss isn't getting better and the Evista doesn't seem to be doing anything for my jaw just my hips and spine.

Thanks for the heads up on this!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI DB, We use Crest Pro or Colgate total health. I did a quick search and found that Sensodyne original contains strontium chloride. It seems that its use in paste for sensitive teeth. I don't know if brushing with would help the bones or not. A few other brands that came up in the search were Tom's of Maine and Crest Pro Clinical. take care...phyllis

Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Desert Bloom,

There is a product called Tooth Soap that is incredible! I have all family and friends using it now because we have all had the same results - stronger teeth and gums, and less plaque build up (next to none for me). My dental hygenist said I have better, stronger teeth than the teenagers he sees.

Jen

Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Phyll and Jen: Thanks to both of you for your input, it's greatly appreciated! Now I have two types of toothpaste to look for and see how it works.

Good luck to you both...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hellow DB,

It's me. montesflus. Nice to hear from you again.

Just curious. Why don't you just take Strontium Citrate? Or perhaps you do? What was the cause of your jaw bone loss? If I remember correctly, you only took Actonel for a short period, right?

Hope all's ok with you now. How is your back pain - any improvement?

monte

Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Monte good to talk to you too! How have you been? My jaw bone loss is from periodontal disorder, which I've had for many many years. It runs in my family. I'm currently taking Evista with no probs, but am contemplating some form of HRT, but not sure yet what I'll do since I had a hysterectomy recently. I've considered SC, but just never got around to it for some reason. Something must be holding me back, but can't say for sure what it is

The pain remains about the same-drats! Hope you and yours are doing well and hope it isn't too hot there. Are you taking SC? If so, I hope it's working very well.

Good luck....

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Phyllis....I never give it much thought. But since taking calcium and strontium, my nails grow like crazy. I like to keep my nails cut short, for a few different reasons...the arts and crafts I do, but also all of my life I have had a phobia of accidently a nail breaks off too close to the tip...I find that pain unbearable. I know it's maybe obsessive. But oh well. My sister used to get mad at me for keeping them short. She thought it was unfemine. Definately they are growing at a rate..hard to keep up with.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hi Tomato,

Have you heard the latest reports about calcium supplements? They've been posted on this board quite recently. In case you have, did you make any changes re taking calcium supplements? I asked Phylwil about this as she took Strontium for quite some time. I asked her, because apparently Strontium has to be balanced with calcium, and I wasn't sure whether the balancing calcium ''had'' to be via supplements, or whether dietary calcium could balance out with the Strontium just as well. She said ''yes, it could''. Anyway, I haven't started Strontium as of yet. I guess I'm procrastinating as I doubt I can get enough calcium in my diet to balance out with the Strontium

Hope all's well with you.

monte

Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi Monte...Yes I have read them. I stopped taking Strontium about 4 months ago. I just figured taking it for three years was enough. I think I read that in the studies for Strontium renalate...it was taken for 3 yrs. I have always been cautious about getting too much calcium. I read years ago that it could effect your heart. So I always took half the suggested amt....which was usually about 500mg. Figured I get the rest from food. But after reading the most recent findings I have cut back on my calcium vitamins again. My multiple gives me 200mg. And I take a new calcium with mag, and D from country life. 4 pills give you 1000mg, but I only take one. I am a little concerned about gettin enough D. But my levels have always been good. I am having another DEXA. Curious to see whether stopping strontium and cutting back on calium and D has an effect. As a breast cancer survivor I get a DEXA every year, because they use it also to check for bone cancer. So in December I will post new results. I joined a gym, and go six days a week. I use the stationary bike for 30 min., and walk briskly around the track for 20 min.. Had to stop the weights, as it had an effect on my arm that they removed the lymph nodes from. Don't know if I will do them again. All the best to you. Please excuse my complicated writings.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
(female)

tomatojuice HB User

Just wanted to add that I have been vegan for the past 4 months. Very curious to see if this effects my osteo positively or negativly.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Have any of you noticed better nails since starting it? Have any of of those just taking calcium noticed a change? have a good week, take care...phyllis
Nooo, I certainly haven't noticed a difference in my fingernails. They still rip easily although I do think they grow faster. I've been taking Strontium since last September. How long do you think it would take to notice a difference? I really didn't have a problem with cavities... I brush at least three times a day and floss 2 times.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kt, wish i could tell you how long it took, but its one of those things that you don't notice till someone points it out or you put 2 and 2 together and come up with...ahh the strontium. I noticed mine were getting longer and stronger when they weren't breaking as fast. Now unless one breaks i end up cutting them cause they get to long. Here's an idea, cut them all the same length and see how fast they all grow, you might be surprised when you keep track. I can't remember, are you taking strontium and calcium or just calcium? have a good week, take care..phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 08-16-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: forgot something...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
(female)

Norma41 HB User

I just heard about stronium a few days ago and am doing some research on it. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago; but refuse to take drugs for it.

My doctor is into natural health and suggested I take Calcium, Vitamins K, and D3 and I'm wondering why he hasn't mentioned stronium to me? I've managed to keep my bones from excessive deterioration using his suggestion, but if strontium will increase my bone density (wthout serious side effects), I'm considering giving it a try.

Any Comments?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
(female)

ktnap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
I can't remember, are you taking strontium and calcium or just calcium? have a good week, take care..phyllis
I'm taking strontium and calcium supplement if I don't get my 1200mg / day through food. I'm taking the same brand of Strontium that you are (we communicated a bit offline) so I guess I can't blame the brand. My fingernails do seem to grow faster than they used to but they don't seem a bit stronger

Closed Thread