It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

itaril HB User
What lifestyle changes are recommended with severe osteoporosis?

Hello everyone,

My mother-in-law (an otherwise healthy 65-year-old) was recently diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. Unfortunately I do not know her exact bone density test scores etc. or what medical regimes her Drs will be recommending.

She remains very excited about traveling overseas and spending six months with us next year to help us take care of our new baby, but I wanted to ask for an objective external perspective on whether or not this would still be a good idea.

- Specifically, full-time care of our little one would involve lot of walking and bending over, sometimes with an extra 30+ lbs to pick up and put down - any advice on whether this would be bad for her bones/ slow her recovery would be most appreciated.

- Also, I presume that she will be starting on some kind of medication - does osteoporosis treatment typically require regular checkups (i.e., should she avoid travel and stay near to her Dr) or other supervision? She is a trained nurse and so I am sure that injections would be no problem.

- May I please also ask on her behalf about any lifestyle changes that would be recommended further to her diagnosis?

I apologize if my questions seem pre-emptive. My concern is that in her eagerness to hang out with her new grandson she will downplay the seriousness of her condition and so we would like to inform ourselves a bit about it as well.

Many thanks and best regards,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: What lifestyle changes are recommended with severe osteoporosis?

Hi,
Walking is a good exercise for people with osteoporosis since it helps strengthen the bones. If your mother in law decides to take osteoporosis medication, depending on what type, in my opinion I don't see any reason why she couldn't travel. Could she get a 6 month supply of medication to bring with her?. Maybe she could get tests before she leaves and after she returns. Taking Calcium supplements with Vit D is recommended also.

I would find out if your mother in law has spinal fractures or other type of fractures caused the osteoporosis which are healing, and whether traveling would cause a problem. I have some fractures and also because of other back problems I don't lift much weight, or lift items from the floor, etc., so it would be up to her doctor/her whether she can lift a 30lb kid off the floor safely for her back. She should also think about the risk of falls, she wants to prevent this so bones don't fracture.

I haven't really change my lifestyle much, I still do the activities I"ve always done and I'm careful not to fall. I take medication, vitamins, eat dairy products, and exercise to help strengthen my bones.

Last edited by taape; 08-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
(female)

itaril HB User
Re: What lifestyle changes are recommended with severe osteoporosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
Hi,
I would find out if your mother in law has spinal fractures or other type of fractures caused the osteoporosis which are healing, and whether traveling would cause a problem. I have some fractures and also because of other back problems I don't lift much weight, or lift items from the floor, etc., so it would be up to her doctor/her whether she can lift a 30lb kid off the floor safely for her back. She should also think about the risk of falls, she wants to prevent this so bones don't fracture.

I haven't really change my lifestyle much, I still do the activities I"ve always done and I'm careful not to fall. I take medication, vitamins, eat dairy products, and exercise to help strengthen my bones.
Thanks taape - I know that she had some kind of knee trouble earlier this year - didn't think that a fracture was involved, but as I understand it they must have found a non-fall-induced fracture in order to diagnose severe osteoporosis, so this could be related. She has not complained much of back pain, but I will be sure to ask.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Closed Thread