It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(male)

JustinDowdy HB User
I am a teenage boy with Osteopenia

Hello, my name is Justin and I am a 16 year old boy with Osteopenia. I know it is rare for a teenage boy to have it. It is often considered a precursor to Ospteporosis so I will post my question on this board.

I know that it is a bone thinning 'disease' and that it weakens my bones over time. I am taking once a week medicine for it but have forgeotten to take it alot recently due to a busy summer schedule.

Will having Osteopenia at a young age shorten my life span? I have wanted to know this for a long time but dont have the heart to ask the doctors at Childrens Hospital Boston or my parents.

Thank You
Justin Dowdy

Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: I am a teenage boy with Osteopenia

HI Justin, welcome to the board . You're right, it is uncommon for a teenage boy to have osteopenia, but keep in mind its osteopenia, not osteoporosis that you have. You mention Children's Hospital of Boston, are you being treated for any other medical conditions that could be affecting your bones? There are secondary causes of bone loss that i imagine your Dr. has already looked into. Which of the once a week drugs are you taking?

Osteopenia is a wake up call that tells you its time to make some changes that can improve your bone density. Has your dr. talked to you about being more active or made recommendations? Living at home i imagine your Mom makes sure that you eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh foods, dairy and lean protein. Has your dr. ever sat you down and told you exactly what's going on?

Sorry for so many questions , but without questions there can't be answers. And to answer your last question, having osteopenia won't shorten you life. Unlike most of us you already know that there is some thinning of your bones and have the rest of your life to make sure they don't get any thinner. I also think you should discuss this with your parents and doctors, they are the ones nearest you and the ones to best help you deal with your feelings.

There are a lot of very helpful people here who will be glad to help ya out. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

Myth HB User
Re: I am a teenage boy with Osteopenia

hi Justin, I wonder how is it that you have been diagnosed with osteopenia at such a young age, do you have other health issues or on medication that is detrimental to your bones?
if not dont worry there are a lot of myths about osteoporosis and particularly osteopenia ,it just means your BMD is lower than those averages in your age group but the dexa cannot tell your anything about bone strength/quality

at 16 you are still growing and can reverse osteopenia naturally with a healthy diet and most importantly exercise
you could also add supplements such as calcium/magnesium/vitamin D/vitamin K /silica.. the general consensus is that even osteoporosis can be halted/improved/ reversed without the need for pharmarceutical drugs

I suggest you read the book ' the myth of osteoporosis' by Gillian Sanson
and do some research on healthy eating and exercises ,it is the key to a long and happy life

all the best
myth

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

JustinDowdy HB User
Thumbs up Re: I am a teenage boy with Osteopenia

After many broken bones after silly things like fallings off swings or tripping while playing soccer, I took a bone density scan and it was lower the naverage for my age group as you said. The doctors have never exactly told me what was going on. It is a great releif to know that this is reversable at my young age. I have always ate a healthy diet which is why doctors think it is a genetic mutation as to why I have it.

This is a wonderful forum and I am happy to be a new member, Thank You so much for answering my concern!

Last edited by JustinDowdy; 08-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Closed Thread