It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Osteoporosis Medication Options

Just received the results of my bone density test. Despite doing everything right in terms of diet, supplements and general lifestyle practices, I've changed from a diagnosis of osteopenia, to one of osteoporosis. I've been on Didrocal for 7 years, and each of my previous follow-up scans showed a small improvement in bone density. So, I don't know why my bones have gotten significantly worse -- perhaps menopause?

My doctor mentioned she'd like to talk to me about starting a more potent medication in a few weeks, after I've had time to study information on the internet so I can make an informed decision. She said I'll find some pretty scary stuff. One of the two drugs she mentioned was Fosamax -- I can't recall the other.

What are my options? Is any one in particular likely to be less risky?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

Becca61 HB User
Re: Osteoporosis Medication Options

Hi, I just found out that I have osteoporsis, and my dr. wants me to take Fosamax, also don't know enough about it so a little leary, am going to get a secon opinion, can you offer any advice, new to this site, so hope I'm doing this correctly, from Boston, Massachusetts and I'm 61, in good health except this news. take care, thanks Becca61

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

Bumpkinto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca61 View Post
Hi, I just found out that I have osteoporsis, and my dr. wants me to take Fosamax, also don't know enough about it so a little leary, am going to get a secon opinion, can you offer any advice, new to this site, so hope I'm doing this correctly, from Boston, Massachusetts and I'm 61, in good health except this news. take care, thanks Becca61
I was taking Actonel for a few years up until this past January. I realized it was possibly the reason why I began to get acid reflux. A friend told me how the meds function in the body. I was leery of the information so I called the pharmacist. He confirmed what I was told. The meds prevent dead cells from exiting the bones. Over time you have less new healthy bone cells and more dead cells. The dead cells make the bones less flexible and more likely to break. The bone scans are deceiving as they do not show the difference between dead cells and live healthy cells in the bone.

I have chosen to take Calcium Citrate every day along with weight bearing exercise. The lifting of weight signals the body to replace the cells in the bone.

Last edited by Bumpkinto; 09-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
(male)

Searfass HB User

I was feeling old beyond my years. I'm only 31, but even last week, I felt like I was a senior citizen. I had a DEXA scan last year, and I was told I was borderline osetopenia, and advised to take calcium supplements. I bought a bottle of Oscal, and after finishing the bottle, didn't buy any more; I thought just drinking 2 heaping glasses of milk every day would suffice. Needless to say last week I bought CitraCal, and after taking the first pill I felt much more energized; I almost felt my age again.

I was going to get another DEXA scan, but I was told that my insurance will not cover it this soon. So I figured, the hell with it, the treatment is basically the same for the worst case scenario. But be sure, I will definitely keep taking my calcium citrate every single day! That stuff is a God-send.

Closed Thread