It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

whiterosegal HB User
new to Forteo

Hi everyone,
I am a 47 year old female that was diagnosed with Osteoporosis when I was 30.
In the past 2 years I have fractured both of my hips within 6 months of each other, my right side has undergone 3 surgeries. both feet have broke, my left tiblia, etc...
I started using Forteo about 2 weeks ago because all other treatment failed.
I started to have side effects right away. I have no appetite, my body aches all over, slight dizzieness, lack of engergy, Prior to taking Forteo I have daily cronic tension headaches.
Insomnia I had after having brain surgery 6 years ago and I am affraid to take Forteo at bed time because I only get 3-4 hours sleep as it is.(read somewhere that insomnia is also a side effect)
I also have other illiness which I won't bore you with.
My Doctor's advice is to try for 3-4 weeks and the side effects may go away.
If anyone has some advice that might help with these side effects I would be very greatfull
Thank you
whiterosegal

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: new to Forteo

Hi Whiterosegal,
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and fractures. I take Forteo and have not had any side effects that I know of. I do the injection in the morning. Are you taking other medications that might be causing the side effects? Just wondering. The decision is up to you whether you continue to try the Forteo. I'm not sure if the side effects if any are supposed to go away after using it for awhile.

I broke my ankle when I stepped in a pot hole while walking at a fast rate of speed. I was afraid it wouldn't heal because of the osteoporosis but it did. I hope your fractures are healing or have healed. Did you get them spontaneously or from falling or trauma? I do worry about breaking bones and everytime I sprain my ankle I think it's broken.

Let us know what you decide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

whiterosegal HB User

Hi taape,
Thank you so much for replying. I am glad that your ankle healed. How are you doing otherwise?
My fractures have been from falls and stress, when I was working I did a lot of heavy lifting and that put a lot of strain on my body. My hips give me the most pain and I have to use a walker or cane to get around. The others are healing.
I take meds for insomnia, arthritis, back pain, cronic headaches, acid-reflux and have not had any side effects from them.
What scares me about Forteo is the the feeling of being ill and no engergy.
I take it in the mornings also.
Has anyone had these side effects and did they go away?
Thank you

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

soundgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterosegal View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a 47 year old female that was diagnosed with Osteoporosis when I was 30.
In the past 2 years I have fractured both of my hips within 6 months of each other, my right side has undergone 3 surgeries. both feet have broke, my left tiblia, etc...
I started using Forteo about 2 weeks ago because all other treatment failed.
I started to have side effects right away. I have no appetite, my body aches all over, slight dizzieness, lack of engergy, Prior to taking Forteo I have daily cronic tension headaches.
Insomnia I had after having brain surgery 6 years ago and I am affraid to take Forteo at bed time because I only get 3-4 hours sleep as it is.(read somewhere that insomnia is also a side effect)
I also have other illiness which I won't bore you with.
My Doctor's advice is to try for 3-4 weeks and the side effects may go away.
If anyone has some advice that might help with these side effects I would be very greatfull
Thank you
whiterosegal
I am also new to Forteo. I started taking it 09-24-10 and immediately felt slight dizziness, low energy, and muscular and joint aches/pains. My physician stated that these were indeed the side effects, but it was worth taking it to avoid possible future fractures. I am 62 and have osteoporosis in my spine and hip (being the worse of the two).

Closed Thread