It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

Princessallia HB User
Traveling with Forteo-Need Reviews on Travel Fridges

I am starting on Forteo this week and I need your reviews on the 2 brands of travel fridges available, or micro fridges, as they are referred to.

Medi-Fridge manufactures the Micro Fridge MRIIx--there is one with an internal temperature display and another with external temperature display. They both can accomodate 6 vials of insulin, or 2 pens, or 3 vials of insulin and 1 pen. For the most part the reviews on the Micro Fridge are not favourable. The reviews say that they work for a short time then stop, and, as one fellow put it, "boil" or ruin the medication inside.

The other brand is manufactured by Medicool Inc and is called the Medicool Medicooler. This fridge can hold upto 9 vials of insulin and 3 pens. I have only seen one review on this product and its user gave it 5 stars.

Both brands come with a car adapter and are dual voltage. Opinions anyone

Last edited by moderator2; 09-07-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Traveling with Forteo-Need Reviews on Travel Fridges

Hi Princessallia,
I checked out travel refrigerators the first time I was on Forteo and decided against buying one. It's just as effective to use a thick walled ice chest and ice packs (the pharmacy sends me these with my pens) which last up to 24 hours. When I travel that's what I use and if there is a refrigerator at the hotel or at a friends' house, etc., I then use the refrigerator and refreeze the ice packs for the next travel day. Otherwise, I will bring extra ice packs and freeze those and then switch out the melted ones.

I also bought a thermometer that I take with me when I travel because sometimes little hotel refrigerators will be set way too cold and freeze and the pen can not get frozen or the medication will be ruined. I've found that small refrigerators are very hard to regulate the temperatures with that's why I gave up on the idea of buying one for my car.

The gel packs provided by the company producing the pens,that cool in the refrigerator but aren't frozen didn't work for me. They didn't stay cool enough for long enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread