It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2003, 02:56 AM   #1

Joan6 HB User
Unhappy Fosamax 70 mg joint and muscle pain

I have been on Fosamax 70 mg for 7 months. One month ago I suddenly developed pain when trying to lift left leg; this pain after a few days spread to my right arm and now is in my left arm. I have spoken to several Dr's and have seen a rehumatologist. My blood work was fine except for a sed rate which was high (sed rate shows inflamation). I have tried viox and found no change in pain. I was on predisone for one week and did find it helped. I don't want to take predisone and stopped. The Dr's all felt that the pain is not related to Fosamax but when I read the side effects of Fosamax an called Merk they did say that 4% of the people could experience muscle and joint pain. I have made a decision to stop Fosamax this week.
Has anyone had similar experience; and if so did pain go away and how long did it take?

[This message has been edited by Joan6 (edited 10-19-2003).]

Old 10-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
Hi! I'm taking the same medicine - Fosamax 70 mg. I have only been taking it for a few weeks, but I do notice some pain, particularly in my hands and back, in the several days after I take the Fosamax. The pain tapers off throughout the week and goes away by Friday - then on Saturday I take the Fosamax again and it comes back....it is not bad enough (in my case) to stop taking it though.
I don't know whether your pain is related to it or not. I hope you feel better soon.
~Kait

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
Re: Fosamax 70 mg joint and muscle pain

I wanted to "update" and say that I've now been taking the Fosamax for over 3 months and I no longer notice any side effects from it. I am hopeful that it will work for me!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitrin
I wanted to "update" and say that I've now been taking the Fosamax for over 3 months and I no longer notice any side effects from it. I am hopeful that it will work for me!

Oh good. Thanks for posting that update!! You make me feel better.
I have Borderline Osteoporosis as well as plenty of osteoarthrites.

I took my first Fosamax LAST Thursday. Dr warned me I might get heartburn. I didn't. Everything was fine.
So Yesterday, Thursday, I took my second one. Felt fine. Oddly in the evening my thoughts keep going to my skeleton. The concept of nice white straight bones kept entering my mind and my thoughts were of how my whole skeleton hooks together (weird way to think since I normally don't think of it) but I felt good. I really felt super great last night.

I woke up this morning and felt like someone beat me up. My arthritic knees did not want to hold me up and they screamed at being bent. My arthritic back hurt. My shoulders felt and STILL fell like they've been run over by a Mack truck. My wrist problem hurt. The muscles under and above my shoulder blades are still on fire.. UGH. I have done very little today. I just ache!

This is NOT a problem I normally have so is it the Fosamax?

But if you had this problem and it went away perhaps mine will go away too.
My mother has a horribly bent back and I do not intend to let mine bend like that..so I WANT this Fosamax to work.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-23-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #5

carolcrone HB User

I took Fosamax for at least 3 years. The first year it essentially "cured" my borderline osteoporosis, so the dose was cut to 35 mg/wk. I never had any problem with it, except having to wait to eat breakfast on Sat mornings! Last Oct my doctor switched me to Actonel, because he said it was easier on the stomach (also he liked the Actonel drug rep better!). I do have GERD which I think is unrelated to the meds; i.e. I developed it years after starting the Fosamax. If you are having problems with it & the bone scan shows it's working, maybe the doctor would cut your dose.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User

I'm glad to hear it helped your bones so much, Carolcrone. I'm hoping that it will do the same for me!

Old 10-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
(female)

del56 HB User

I also had severe muscle pain from taking the fosamax for about a year. My legs were so sore and weak I could hardly get my clothes on or stand up after sitting, I was getting leg cramps, my arm ached so bad it would wake me at night and my shoulders were so bad that I couldnt lift my arms above my head. I would classify the pain as severe. I did not make the connection between the fosamax and the pain until the bottom of my feet started hurting, and I read a thread with another woman who had the same foot pain. I immediately stopped the fosamax and my pain improved about 75% within days, but after about 2 months I still had a lot of pain especially after being still for awhile. I inadvertenly got "cured" of my pain when I had to have gum surgery and the endodontist prescribed medrol, which is a steroid, for 4 days. I felt better IMMEDIATELY! and the pain is all but gone. I have a tab bit of stiffness now and again but I can live with that. so if you are having trouble getting rid of the pain, ask your doctor to prescribe a steroid to clear up the inflammation in your muscles. dont just keep suffering.
I am checking out a product called EZorb. It is supposed to have a 92% absorbtion rate. does anybody have any experience with it?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

If you'll look you can see I posted above quite a long time ago.
Time for an update!
Took 4 months for the horrid joint and muscle pain caused by the Fosamax to leave. I took the Fosamax faithfully and toughed it out. Then oh sometime in the late fall.. I began to get an eye lid muscle tic. Quite disconcerting since I have Dry Eye Syndrom to start with this was just and added problem I hated. got worse, got very bad.. only one eye though. So reading threads, I ran across posts where the Fosamax can effect your eyes..

So I quit the fosamax on Christmas Day and the tic was still there a couple months later, though not nearly as constant.

Got my height measured again in January.. I had shrunk another 1/4 inch (2 inches total loss).. and that was for the year I had taken the Fosamax!

I went to an opthamologist.

He said Fosamax defiantely made my Dry eyes dryer. That's a known side effect.
According to him, The eye lid tic was a natural defense mechanism.
My eye lid muscle was acting in defense trying to massage the area and bring more of the blood supply with much needed moisture to my eye area.
He told how to do eye lid and eye area messages to help myself.
I never took any more Fosamax and the Tic is now long gone.
I STILL have problems of Dry Eye syndrom, but I had that before the Fosamax.. the Fosamax just made it too much worse. I do the eye lid messages and they feel so good and I'm happy the Tic is gone.

Ssssoooooo ... I won't be taking Fosamax. I am taking my Calcium ect ..but no osteoporosis meds.

Last edited by snowmelts; 10-02-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

There have been many, many reports of joint and muscle pain from taking Fosamax, Actonel, and Boniva. I tried both Fosamax and Actonel and experienced joint pain with Actonel. Unfortunately, all osteo drugs, including Forteo, caused me to have severe insomnia so I had to stop taking all of them. People who have been diagnosed with osteopenia shouldn't even take drugs at all. Borderline osteoporosis, unless it runs in your family, should consider increasing calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin K, before taking drugs. Long-term use of bisphosphonates is proving to make bones more brittle and subsequent fractures take longer to heal. Everyone should read "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. It's a real eye-opener into the world of pharmaceutical companies teaming up with the makers of DEXA scan machines and the people who decide what numbers (T-score) constitute a diagnosis of osteoporosis.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #10
(female)

jom257 HB User

I heard GERD was related to these drgs. How has it been for you?

Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
(female)

jom257 HB User

Hi Piano0105,
I am with you, I think it is worse to take these medications, I am looking for more natural ways to help further my osteoporosis. I will definitely get that book. Any other suggestions that may have worked for you?
Keep in touch.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - I have been taking Fosamax for over 4 years because I have severe osteoporosis (T score of -3.50). Both my mother and aunt had it before anyone had tests for it, etc. I learned by accident that I had it when I had a chest x-ray and saw the report which said that my bones were de-mineralized. Otherwise I would never have known about it. (This is a good reason for requesting copies of test results, etc.). I then insisted on having a bone density test, which showed the severity.
I have had a bone density test every two years, and the last one showed improvement in my spine and some in my hip, though very slight. I have not read or heard anything about the biophosphinates (sp) causing bones to get more brittle - but I have read that bones become more dense. Of course, osteoporosis can't be cured, but so far, mine has not gotten worse, for which I am very thankful. Many of my friends' doctors prefer Actonel, and one is given a shot weekly (I don't remember the name of the drug - think it's Forteo). I would really like to hear more of the reactions people have had to Fosamax. Thanks! Nancy

Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
(female)

del56 HB User

I took fosamax for about 15 months. my whole body started aching, one area at a time until I could scarely move. I was nearly debilitate. I finally realized that it was the fosamax. I have not taken it for a little over 3 months now, and still have bouts of pain in various limbs. today my hip bones were so sore I had to hobble around, and all last week I had a terrible pain in the center of my back. but everyday the pain is getting a little less severe. I think the drug companies and doctors are too eager to prescribe pills that are not totally safe. I feel like women are being test subjects.
My concern for anyone taking fosamax is what the future may hold. are your bones going to be so brittle that they would break easier than if you had left them alone? and how can dead bone heal itself in the event of a break? I feel like I was being poisoned for 15 months. Please use caution sisters.
I did try a product called ezorb, which is calcium aspartate anhydrous, however I developed a bladder infection after just 1-1/2 days use. I checked out some info on the internet and apparently aspartate can cause bladder problems. the company insists that there is nothing in the Ezorb that would harm me, but hey, I know my body. so again use caution. sounds like that is not the answer either. keep me posted is anyone else had similar problems.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #14
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by del56
I inadvertenly got "cured" of my pain when I had to have gum surgery and the endodontist prescribed medrol, which is a steroid, for 4 days. I felt better IMMEDIATELY! and the pain is all but gone. I have a tab bit of stiffness now and again but I can live with that. so if you are having trouble getting rid of the pain, ask your doctor to prescribe a steroid to clear up the inflammation in your muscles. dont just keep suffering.
I am checking out a product called EZorb. It is supposed to have a 92% absorbtion rate. does anybody have any experience with it?
I would be very cautious with steroids, especially those taken orally, as they have been shown to contribute to bone loss and disease.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:55 AM   #15
(female)

del56 HB User

yes, I agree that the use of oral steriods is not to be taking lightly and should not be taken for any length of time. However, I was in ALOT of pain due to muscle inflammation from fosamax. I only took the medrol for 4 days and that seemed to "kick start" the healing process.

Closed Thread