It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #1

dianelip HB User
Question Ipriflavones Helpful or Harmful?

I'm totally confused. Some studies show Ipriflavones helpful in preventing bone loss while other studies show it doesn't. One study even said Ipriflavones decrease one's white blood cells and is harmful. What are we to believe? Should we steer away from using this supplement?

Old 08-07-2003, 06:32 AM   #2
Inactive

tilly2 HB User
I'm giving it a try. I take a Vitamin Shoppe brand called Osteoprotector, each pill has 100IU (25%dv) of Vitamin D, 500 mg calcium, 250 mg (63%dv) magnesium, and 200 mg ipriflavone. I usually take 1-2 of these pills per day plus one chewable Citrical at night. Also I am taking Glucosamine.

BTW my dr. said if you are supplementing heavily with calcium, as we all probably are, that you should take one day off per week so your body can expel any excess calcium. He basically said take one day off a week for any vitamins you are taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I completely agree with taking one day off a week from all vitamins. I have been doing this for years.

My calcium contains Ipriflavones. Probably most do.

P.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 AM   #4

marciakeeney HB User
I have never heard of taking a day off from your vitamins and calcium. Is this scientifically documented anywhere? Does taking a day off really let your body expel excess calcium? This is a new one on me! I'd would like to hear more.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I never heard about it expelling excess calcium, my understanding is that it gives the body a rest and also a chance to "kick in" on it's own. I have also heard that if you start some protocal, like using COQ10, for instance, that it is a good idea to do it for a period of time, like 4 to 8 weeks and then stop and see if the body can then, again, "kick in" on its own and/or . . . if that protocal had an effect and is now no longer needed. For myself, I'd rather not just rely on a mass of vitamins if they aren't really needed. I think the body has an intelligence of its own and can exemplify that if given half a chance.

Peregrine

Old 08-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
dianelip: Where did you read that Ipriflavones are harmful and can do harm to white blood cells? Can you give us a link? I have a low white blood count and do not need it to go any lower, now that I have just got it up to almost normal, as I did on my last blood test in July.

I just started taking a sublingual 200 mgs today. In Japan, it is considered the answer to osteoporosis.

I am not taking steroids, but my rheumatologist did
recommend it. I understand it is a very important
thing to take in Japan!
O

Old 08-08-2003, 05:03 AM   #7
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by OppOnn:

I just started taking a sublingual 200 mgs today. In Japan, it is considered the answer to osteoporosis.

I am not taking steroids, but my rheumatologist did
recommend it. I understand it is a very important
thing to take in Japan!
O

Opp,

Welcome back! So you are taking extra ipriflavones? Did you know there is 100 mg. in the liquid cal we take? Do you feel taking extra is helpful and if so, where did you see that stated?

btw: my rheumie also suggested steroids but I refuse to touch the stuff. Personally, I think it deadly stuff to put in MY system!

P

Old 08-08-2003, 06:21 AM   #8

merryk HB User
The website "naturalproductinsider.com" refers to a study of ipriflavones with calcium. 474 women, 57-69 years old, given 500mg calcium with 200 mg. of ipriflavones. There was a decrease in lymphocytes (carries white blood cells) with no difference in increase in bone mass with the control group. 29 women developed "asymptomatic lymphopenia". Further study of this problem was suggested.
This study was reported at a conference for the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.

Old 08-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #9

dianelip HB User
In regards to Ipriflavone lowering white blood cells.
I believe it was a study of the long term use of it which may have caused it. It suggested getting your white blood cell count done periodically. But how long is long term and how often is periodically, who knows. All the other studies say Ipriflavones are very beneficial. I will most likely still take them at the recommended therapeutic dose of 200 mg. a day, 3 times a day. But I will definitely make it a point to have a white blood cell count test done at least once a year at physical time. Of course I'd stop taking them if the count was going down.

Old 08-08-2003, 02:37 PM   #10

dianelip HB User
Excellent article from the Osteoporosis Education Project that i just found answered all my questions and cleared the air on Ipriflavones:
[url="http://www.betterbones.com/research/articles/ipriflavone.pdf"]www.betterbones.com/research/articles/ipriflavone.pdf[/url]

Especially read pg. 5 "The Bottom Line for Ipriflavone Unsers"

Old 08-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
Thank you dianelip for excellent information on Iproflavone.

Think I'll stop it until I can speak to a doctor who ...really knows about it. But not sure I have one of those, or one who knows as much about it as I do now!

Reasons? Well, I have been fighting a low white blood count and lymphocyte counts for years. It has just gone up to almost normal, in July, having been down in April, and normal in November, but down for a decade before that! Had all the hematologist and every test under the sun for over 4 worrying years, when I didn't really live because of worry. Although I always felt very well. I even had a bone marrow biopsy, and no one could find any reason - until....I had Crohn's diagnosed formally in July 2002, after 4 years of not knowing. At last, the reason. Went out to celebrate that night!!!!

But I am prone to diarrhea and don't want to risk that coming back now I've got my stomach in remission, which I have. Crohn's is never cured, just goes into remission.

So, although I note I only take 200 mgs of Iproflavone and they say 3 x 200 mgs to equal 600 mgs a day, I don't think I want to risk it. Although if I didn't have these problems, I'd go on taking it because it really does seem very good for our bones.

Thanks, again, so very much.
O

Old 08-09-2003, 02:23 PM   #12
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
Thank you dianelip for excellent information on Iproflavone.

Think I'll stop it until I can speak to a doctor who ...really knows about it. But not sure I have one of those, or one who knows as much about it as I do now!

Reasons? Well, I have been fighting a low white blood count and lymphocyte counts for years. Just gone up to almost normal, in July, having been down in April, and normal in November, but down for a decade before that! Had all the hematologist tets - and every test under the sun - for over 4 worrying years, when I didn't really live because of what it might be. Although I always felt very well. I even had a bone marrow biopsy, and no one could find any reason - until I had Crohn's diagnosed formally in July 2002, after 4 years of not knowing. At last, the reason. Went out to celebrate that night!!!!

But I am prone to diarrhea and don't want to risk that coming back now I've got my stomach in remission, which I have. Crohn's is never cured, just goes into remission.

So, although I only take 200 mgs of Iproflavone and they say 3 x 200 mgs to equal 600 mgs a day, I don't think I want to risk it. Although if I didn't have these problems, I'd go on taking it because it really does seem very good for our bones.

Thanks, again, so very much.
O

Old 08-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #13

prin123 HB User
Cool

Several years ago i aksed my endocrinologist about ipraflavone and she was knowledgeable about it. she advised me not to take it because there haven't been enough studies to ensure its safety; i communicated with some women on another board who said it increased their bone density but i read on some board that there were problems with white count and liver problems; also, ipraflavone has some estrogenic effects and may have a relationship to breast cancer according to this physician. It is too bad because i bought the stuff and was prepared to take it.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I have chronic low white cell count usually below 2500 they refer to it as leukopenia. Anyway I've heard of "take a day off"when taking vit and mineral as more of a rest than a excrete program. Your body works extra hard to digest any vit or mineral and it is scientifically not proven but most Dr and endocrinologist agree the body needs a break once in awhile if we take alot of pills. Too much of agood thing can also be bad. Missing one day of vit and min will not deplete your stash and the body won't miss it except for the rest.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User
Do you take it along with other medicines, like estrogens or biophostates? I am taking Fosamax now, and I started taking a soy supplement (isoflavone 100 mg.) I wonder if the two together will have any effects beyond that of the Fosamax alone. Of course, I've only been on the Fosamax for 4 weeks (that's how long I've known I have osteoporosis) so I don't know if it's working or not, yet....
~Kait

Closed Thread