It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
Post Mayo Clinic Exercise Chart/very simple

Someone gave me a very simple, very easy to follow
Exercise Chart from the Mayo Clinic. Worth checking it out.

Here are details, as on the chart:
[url="http://www.mayoclinic.com"]www.mayoclinic.com[/url]
Item No. 560300/MC5043-09
called Mayo Clinic Osteoporosis Exercise Chart
copyright 2003/Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER)
Mayo Clinic Health Information

Tel: 800-291-1128

I hope this is useful to someone, but check with your doctor first, they say.

O

Old 10-31-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
[url="http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=FF7565B5-0CFC-4DBC-8C090B1601171BB2"]http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=FF7565B5-0CFC-4DBC-8C090B1601171BB2[/url]

Look to the left, Click on "Slide show: Exercises for Osteoporosis. The
diagrams and instructions for each exercise are in printable format.
O

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2003, 05:11 PM   #3

Junomoon HB User
Thumbs up Mayo Clinic Exercises

Thanks, OppOnn

I have been suffering with severe back pain and tingling in legs since February, 2003. I had an MRI which revealed that I have three bulging discs, some stress fractures, and irritation of one of the facet joints. I also somehow broke my pubic ramus bone and it is just now healing sufficiently so that I can get around without a walker, just using a cane, and starting on some simple exercises.

I welcome these exercises because all of the exercises I have found seem to be geared to much younger and abler people (I am 71).

So thank you again for directions to this most welcome web site. I will be starting these exercises tomorrow.

Blessings. Junomoon

Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
Inactive

OppOnn HB User
Mayo Clinic Exercise Chart/very simple

Dear J:
You really have suffered.

As a back sufferer, well, I used to be, and still have a delicate back, with an unstable 5th vertabrae, I would go very slowly with these exercises. They do seem simple, but avoid any twisting of the lower body, or the upper for that matter. No twisting.
And careful with anything which involves bringing the legs up.

In fact, perhaps yould first check with your doctor before doing the exercises, because these are meant for people with osteoporosis who want to avoid fractures and don't mention back problems.

They do seem simple and I think they are, therefore they probably are safe, but maybe Mayo has similar exercises for back sufferers? You could email them? Three bulging disks is a lot. I had one and that was enough for a lot of pain.

I finally, after years of going to conventional doctors, even the so-called best in the land, got relief from a chiropractor.
Now, I haven't had to even to him for some 3 years for my back. It's still unstable, but doesn't go out in the same very
painful way, which was far too often.

Whatever, good luck, and let us know how it all goes.
O

Old 11-15-2003, 04:59 PM   #5

Junomoon HB User
Dear O:

Thanks for the very good advice. I definitely don't want to re-injure anything since I'm now beginning to get around so much better. I just joined this board and will try to get back as often as possible. It looks live a very informative and friendly place to be.

Blessings,
Junomoon

Old 11-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #6

Junomoon HB User
Dear O:

Thanks for the very good advice. I definitely don't want to re-injure anything since I'm now beginning to get around so much better. I just joined this board and will try to get back as often as possible. It looks like a very informative and friendly place to be.

Blessings,
Junomoon

Old 01-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User
Re: Mayo Clinic Exercise Chart/very simple

Very interesting. ihank you. I am going to print these.
I have just been diagnosed with osteoporsis, however while waiting for the bone scan results I have done physical therapy for osteoarthritis in my spine, which I also have. Did the last therapy session yesterday.

For the OA the excercises were totally different. We DID lay flat on our backs on heating pads and BEND our knees and go side to side with them.. definately bent in effect twisting the hip area while lying done. Bend them up as far as possible to our chest and hold them there.. We did other knee bending excercises while lying flat as well as leg lifting and one rather hard excercise lifting the one knee bent plus entire pelvic and back up while the shoulder and one side stayed down.

I think the OA physical therapy did help me "move" easier and with less pain. the OA stiffness and pain can get bad, but we all know breaking/cracking from osteoporsis would certainly be a terrible situation.

so which should I do?
I have both problems.
No twisting is in the Osteoporsis excercises so those are acceptable with OsteoArthritis but the OA excercise might not be compatable osteoporsis?.

Closed Thread