It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

livelaughlove3 HB User
Just diagnosed with Osteoporis

I am new to this message board and to message boards in general. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis within the last week after getting a dexascan. My PCP prescribed 50,000 units of vitamin D3 to be taken once a week for 2 months. He also prescripbed Boniva. I am quite frightened at the prospect of taking this med after reading about all of the side effects of the meds for this disease.

Since I knew nothing about Boniva and not much about osteoporosis, I went online to see what I could find out. I decided to join this message board since there seem to be a lot of people with experience regarding osteoporosis and the meds that are prescribed. Although there seems to be a lot of negative information about Fosamax, there wasn't a lot about Boniva.

Can anyone out there share their experience with Boniva? I'm especially interested in knowing about side effects and the effectiveness of the drug on improving the BMD. I know that a calcium rich diet and weight bearing exercise are also supposed to improve the BMD. Has anyone out there seen any improvement in their osteoporosis without taking any of the prescription meds?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Osteoporis

Was this your first scan? What was your score? If you weren't told, call and find out. Also, ask if their machines have been recalibrated according to WHO (World Health Organization) standards. If they haven't, your score may not be accurate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
(female)

livelaughlove3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Was this your first scan? What was your score? If you weren't told, call and find out. Also, ask if their machines have been recalibrated according to WHO (World Health Organization) standards. If they haven't, your score may not be accurate.
Titcdhou, thanks for your response. Yes, this was my first scan. My worst T score was -2.9 in the L1 region of my spine; -2.7 in the neck of the right femur. The left femur was -2.4. I am pretty scared and uninformed about this, so I didn't even know enough to ask questions, except about how much radiation I was exposed to when the scan was taking place. I've seen a few posts that said they had a reversal of bone loss, but then I've seen others that say their condition worsened despite taking Fosamax, Boniva or other meds like that. I don't want to take these meds, but I also don't want to have problems in the future with fractures. I feel like I'm blind and just trying to find my way in the dark, if you know what I mean. Does anyone out there know about Forteo? I think I read that it is capable of re-building bone, but I don't know how much of that is hype. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this med? Like I said, I am pretty ignorant about osteo and kind of dazed and in denial...I was pretty active when I was younger, but in the last few years, I have not been as much. I'm thinking that I can try self-medicating/healing, but I'm afraid I'll regret not taking prescription meds, if the self-help thing doesn't work...sorry to vent, but I'm feeling very uncertain right now... Any information or help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Hi again. Please read "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. This gives a wonderful perspective on the whole osteoporosis phenomenon. I did two years of Forteo and for me it was a real life-saver. I had two spine surgeries during this time and it enabled me to fuse properly and regrow the bone which I very much needed to grow. However it is extremely expensive and requires daily self-injection. Well worth it, in my opinion! Good luck! c

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
(female)

soundgal HB User

So glad to read your comments. I am 62 and have just started taking Forteo (09-24-2010). I have had side effects of low energy, muscular and joint aches and pains, and soreness. I discussed this with my physcian and he stated that these were common side effects. I am encouraged to hear that you felt it was worth it. Did you have the same side effects and did they eventually dissipate?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

No side effects whatsoever for me. I cannot overstate how wonderful it was for me. I just wish there were something equally great out there to maintain the gains that were made.
I will not use the bisphosphonate drugs so I'm trying to hold with calcium, D, magnesium, strontium, and silica. Who knows? Good luck to you.
Carol

Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
(female)

soundgal HB User

Carol,
Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully all will continue to go well with you. I don't blame you for not wanting to use the other drugs. Glad to hear that Forteo works so well. Maybe it is worth these side effects!

Closed Thread