It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

impeyan HB User
Calcium choice ?

Which form of calcium supplement is best absorbed ?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Calcium choice ?

Calcium Citrate is best for absorption, and especially when it's combined with magnesium and vit. d3. I was on this combination for about 3 yrs. but stopped a few months ago due to concern over studies showing a connection between calcium supplements and heart disease. I asked my doc about this and he said that even though he was aware of the studies, in his opinion the results were not clear as of now, so he told me to stop the Calcium Citrate for 6 months (seeing as my vit. d was in good range), and to evaluate afterwards whether to resume taking it.

monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

Nature54 HB User

Hi Empeyan:

I read it was calcium aspartate anhydrous. But, I suggest you do some searching on the net or go to a health food/vitamin store or if you have access to a nutritionist, ask them. I chose a product called Ezorb (which is calcuim aspartate anhydrous) because someone on this site recommended it and said it improved her bone loss. That person goes by the name of Jacal. I don't see any new posts from Jacal though. Anyway, this is supposed to be a good calcium product because it is supposed to get absorbed in the small intestine and not the stomach. And supposedly you don't need Vitamin D along with it because of how it gets absorbed. It comes in a powder form and I mix it with orange juice or yogurt. The dosage is according to your weight. So, I guess I am an experiment and will let people know if it has helped with increasing my bone mass when I get another density test the summer of 2011.

Take care!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Calcium citrate, with around 1000iu of vitamin d per day

Closed Thread