It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

maureenschoolma HB User
1st year forteo results - wrist still losing

hi, all. t hank you in advance for any input/encouragement. i just had my dexa after a year on forteo. my osteop. is very bad, but was manageable for @ 7 hrs on fosamax before declines started again. today's spine was IMPROVED (YAY), hip stayed the same (ALSO YAY i was told .. ) but wrist really went from bad to worse.. from -2.1 to -3.3. my dr was still very happy with the results so far esp in back and even in hip. he said the wrist was last to show absorption/improvement from the forteo and not to be discouraged.

can anyone offer some encouraging words about this? i am doing everything quite perfectly as far as supplements and resistance/weight bearing exercise goes. so... anyone w/ wrist stories? encouraging ones even after a decline w/ the first year's forteo? THANK YOU!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: 1st year forteo results - wrist still losing

Hi,
Congratulations on gaining bone density in your hips and spine. I'd be happy with your results. I've never had my wrist tested so don't know about gains and losses in those bones.

I have great improvement also but as soon as I got off the Forteo my T scores went down. I'm on my second round of Forteo and making progress.

Didn't understand about the Fosamax, you took it for 7 days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

maureenschoolma HB User

good grief.. i must learn to proofread better!!! thank you for pointing this out.. i meant 7 YRS, not 7 HRS!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I can see why you got off the Fosamax after 7 years without increasing bone density. I'm amazed your stomach could handle it that long, I only took 3 pills and my stomach was on fire.

By the way, I take calcium supplements with Vit. D and as much weight bearing exercise as I can handle.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
(female)

maureenschoolma HB User

yes, same here. 1500 mg calc/350 mg magnesium/2200 units D plus another 800 units in the winter months. i also eat 1-2 relatively thick slices of lowfat swiss and greek yogurt most days. my supplements and diet keep me in an excellent place as far as my dr is concerned.
also, i never had a problem at all w/ the fosamax. i guess after all those years, tho, it just stopped having an effect; perhaps i wasn't absorbing it as effectively. it was also the case that after menopause hit, the estrogen drop really bottomed me out bone-density-wise. while i've recovered well, apparently, w/ the forteo now, the wrist isn't doing well and i'm concerned about what else i can do. i already do weightbearing and resistance exercises,etc.
again, anyone who can help me w/ the forteo/wrist thing, i'd be grateful.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

maureenschoolma HB User

i just spoke w/ the pharm. intern at the endocrine practice and got some great info to pass along. apparently the 1st yr on forteo one is likely (hopefully) to see improvements 1st in the spine because that's the bone that is the most 'spongy' and fill-in from the forteo use shows up there first; second is the hip because it has both spongy and hard bone and it's the hard bone that is slowest to absorb. third is the wrist and, in fact, it usually shows a decline at first (which mine did). the reason for this all is that the wrist is the hardest bone, and while the result of the forteo is to build VOLUME first, it takes longest for new mass to catch up to new volume in the bones that have the densest attribute.
so i'm happy! and i hope info this helps others as well.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
I can see why you got off the Fosamax after 7 years without increasing bone density.
No loss either.

Closed Thread