It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

JudyBKM HB User
Strontium and DEXAscans

I'm about to start strontium citrate after trying Forteo and having my calcium levels rise too much. I haven't noticed any discussions here (maybe I just missed them) regarding the fact that DEXAscans must be adjusted in order to get an accurate reading because strontium is heavier than calcium and remains in the bones. As a result, it will appear that the bones are denser than they really are. Does anyone who has been taking strontium citrate know whether their imaging "place" adjusts the scan accordingly?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

texastechex HB User
Re: Strontium and DEXAscans

Stop taking the Strontium 30 days prior to DEXA scan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastechex View Post
Stop taking the Strontium 30 days prior to DEXA scan.
Gosh, I haven't heard of that before. All the threads I've seen (and now I've found some here) indicate that an adjustment must be made. I'll have to keep reading...

And now I'm finding information that says that the strontium remains in your bones for a great deal longer than 30 days, so...very confusing.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by JudyBKM; 11-08-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
(male)

Todd500 HB User

Have you tried contacting the facility that is going to perform the DEXA and see what their opinion is?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I'm willing to bet that most DEXA techs haven't even heard of Strontium Citrate, let alone know anything about adjusting their machines for it Ask them and see what happens though.

monte

Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Judy, welcome to the board. When i had my first DEXA after starting strontium i was told by my doctor to stop if for 30 days prior to the scan. I did it then and did it when i had the next one just so everything would be consistent. Some stop for the 30 days, some don't. I did call around asking about adjustments being made to the machines and was told that adjustments couldn't be made for the few that were taking strontium. One area hospital even had the info to do it, but didn't. I guess recalibrating the machines each time is too much trouble. I'd like to think that as more and more people take strontium that the adjustments will be made, but i don't see that happening anytime soon unless the FDA approves a form of SC and doctors start prescribing it.

Monte is right, most techs and doctors aren't familiar with strontium. I've educated our family doctor about it and from my gains he knows its effective, but still won't tell other osteo patients about since its not a FDA approved drug.

If you have more questions just ask, there are several of us here who've been taking it for a while. If you put strontium citrate in the search box at the top of the page you'll find lots of threads about it. take care, phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 11-09-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
(female)

JudyBKM HB User
Wink Re: Strontium and DEXAscans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd500 View Post
Have you tried contacting the facility that is going to perform the DEXA and see what their opinion is?
Not yet...but I'm planning to. I started strontium last night, having decided to start with half a dose (one pill) for a week and then going to the full dose. Maybe my body will get used to it a bit and I want experience any of the possible side effects (especially headache). Most people don't seem to have a problem though, so hopefully I'm part of "most."

Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

And you are all probably right about the imaging facilities either not knowing about strontium or are unwilling to make the adjustment. Time will tell! At this point, I'm willing to take the chance since I can't take bisphosphonates, and Forteo caused my calcium level to rise.

And as for the 30-day break -- I've read that strontium remains in your system for a lot longer than 30 days. I wonder how much difference the 30 days makes.

Thanks for your replies!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
(male)

Todd500 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBKM View Post
Not yet...but I'm planning to. I started strontium last night, having decided to start with half a dose (one pill) for a week and then going to the full dose. Maybe my body will get used to it a bit and I want experience any of the possible side effects (especially headache). Most people don't seem to have a problem though, so hopefully I'm part of "most."
Clinical research on strontium is done at a dosage of 680mg. I have not seen any reported side effects such as the headaches you mentioned. There does however appear to be one common side effect - increased bone density.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

With the assumption that the side effects for strontium citrate may be the same as for strontium ranelate, I read this: "In the two European studies on strontium ranelate there was little difference in side effects between the patients receiving strontium ranelate and the placebo groups that were not receiving strontium. The most common side effects included nausea, diarrhea, headaches and eczema but with only 2–4% increase compared with the placebo group. Most of the side effects subsided in 3 months."

Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

There are no adjustments, that I am aware of, other than the inputted data for age, race, gender.
The machines(Hologic) are qc'ed everyday, using a spine phantom, before they will do a patient scan.
A calcium tablet placed how the spine phantom will not make a noticeable differece in the results.
How does this relate to strontium in the body? I have no clue.

Support for whatever your thoughts are on adjusting for strontium can be found.

One misconception that I would like to clear up:

Lowest bone determining dx means spine, hip, or forearm NOT individual bones.
EX: spine = +.8
hip = -1.7 dx = oteopenia

spine = -2.1
hip = -2.9 dx = osteoporosis

L1 = -1.3 spine = -.9
hip = -.8 dx = normal

Old 11-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexatech View Post
One misconception that I would like to clear up:

Lowest bone determining dx means spine, hip, or forearm NOT individual bones.
EX: spine = +.8
hip = -1.7 dx = oteopenia

spine = -2.1
hip = -2.9 dx = osteoporosis

L1 = -1.3 spine = -.9
hip = -.8 dx = normal
In other words, I should say that I have osteoporosis, period, not simply osteoporosis in the "femur neck right"; is that correct?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexatech View Post
There are no adjustments, that I am aware of, other than the inputted data for age, race, gender.
The machines(Hologic) are qc'ed everyday, using a spine phantom, before they will do a patient scan.
A calcium tablet placed how the spine phantom will not make a noticeable differece in the results.
How does this relate to strontium in the body? I have no clue.

Support for whatever your thoughts are on adjusting for strontium can be found.
I read abstracts from two studies that supported the fact that because strontium is heavier than calcium and remains in the bones, it will appear in a bone scan and indicate that the bones are denser than they really are and that bone density tests provided by DEXAscans must be adjusted in order to get an accurate reading. A number of other sites say the same thing but do not provide citations.

I'd be very happy if they were wrong.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

"In other words, I should say that I have osteoporosis, period, not simply osteoporosis in the "femur neck right"; is that correct? "

You would have osteoporosis in the neck, but if the overall average in the hip is greater than -1.0 and in the Lspine is greater than -1.0, you would dx as normal.

If the scans need adjustment, it would have to be done by the radiologists or drs.
Just a guess, but in the US strontium in not FDA approved and that is probably why drs. and radiologist will not adjust for it. Mostly a legal thing.

I have read abstracts suggesting subtracting 50% of change, another one suggesting subtracting 10% of change, which, unless a very large change would not make much difference.

Phyl has the best anwer. Before each scan stop using for 30 days. This would make scans consistent, which is what you really want.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
(female)

JudyBKM HB User

You may very well be right about the fact that adjustments won't be made because of the fact that strontium is not FDA approved for osteoporosis here in the U.S.

I kind of hate to stop the strontium for 30 days. I just started it and will be having my next scan in January. I suppose if the numbers look better (probably not by January but in another year), I could consider that a starting point and see if the improvement continues. Also, if the strontium stays in your system/bone (whatever!!) for more than 30 days, I wonder whether 30 days would even be enough! I don't fully understand the chemistry involved (i.e., how long the strontium that might skew the numbers remains in the bone).

Too bad strontium isn't FDA approved so that more of these questions might be answered!

Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread