It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
"Tomato a day keeps brittle bones at bay"

This headline was in our daily newspaper today. Here's a summary of the article:

A University of Toronto study of post menopausal women examining the link between nutrition and osteoporosis say as little as 30 mg of lycopene (the equivalent of two glasses of tomato juice) increases the presence of cell-protecting antioxidants and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.

For the first month of four, all women (aged 50 - 60) were restricted from consuming anything containing lycopene (a phytochemical found in tomatoes, watermelons and papayas). By the end of this month, in every participant, lycopene and antioxidants had dropped, while oxidative stress associated with cell damage dramatically rose. There was an increased resorption of bone, making the participants more prone to the risk of osteoporosis.

For the next three months, twice a day, participants consumed either a 15 mg lycopene supplement, a glass of Heinz tomato juice naturally containing 15 mg lycopene, gourmet tomato juice containing 35 mg lycopene per glass, or a placebo. Afterwards, the researchers found increased antioxidant capacity, decreased oxidative stress and decreased bone resorption markers -- regardless of lycopene source. The clinically effective dose of lycopene appears to be somewhere between 30 and 70 mg daily.

So, if you're one of the many participants on this board trying to avoid/treat low bone density through natural methods, you may wish to consider adding tomato juice to your diet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sensitivo For This Useful Post:
sjb (11-09-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: "Tomato a day keeps brittle bones at bay"

Hi There! Thanks for that article it was interesting! I understood lycopene to be red. Did the article say the larger papayas that are redder probably have more in them than those that are yellow? I read that guavas also have it.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-10-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Did the article say the larger papayas that are redder probably have more in them than those that are yellow? I read that guavas also have it.
The article didn't give any details on the comparative lycopene content of different colours of papayas -- merely stated this fruit as a source. Guess I'll have to research what other fruits and vegetables are sources of lycopene. Until this article, my only awareness of the health benefits of lycopene related to prostate cancer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sensitivo For This Useful Post:
sjb (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

My understanding was that it was good for the eyes thanks for telling me about the cancer part too.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-10-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Closed Thread