It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

osteo37 HB User
can anyone give me advice

Hi i was diagnosed with osteoprosis last year at age 36 my L4 was -3.1, the put me on fosomax with bad results, so they went actenol with was 10 times worse, horrible allergic reactions, finally they tried forteo daily shot, which was working no bad reactions. I was on medicad, the doctor gave me a month supply and wrote a prescription for the rest, which medicad would not pay for, my doctor sent a letter of approved which was denied, he then appealed which was also denied, since then I no longer qualify for medicad. I went to my yr dexascan checkup, which totally bummed me out I went from -3.1 to -4.2 in my L4, I have been trying natural stuff but I am frustrated, if anyone has any advise I would be grateful . I also have 7 fractures in my spine, which they have had me on pain killers, does anyone know if pain killers can increase bone loss??? and has anyone heard of RED DESERT CLAY?? thanks

Last edited by osteo37; 11-09-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: update

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: can anyone give me advise

Sorry to hear your insurance won't pay for the Forteo. It seems you have a supportive doctor who will write you letters. I would suggest calling Eli Lilly, the manufacturer of Forteo (the number is on the pen box), and asking for their customer care division. They used to fund patient's Forteo pens if they qualified financially which it sounds like you do. It's worth a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to taape For This Useful Post:
osteo37 (11-16-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

Nature54 HB User

Jeezus...read your post. Damn you have a lot on your plate. I never heard of red clay and you could probably do an internet search to see what side effects drugs can cause. I'd try wikipedia. I'm personally trying Ezorb. I heard about it from this site from a previous user by the name of Jacal. But, unfortunately this person has not posted in 2-3 years...or as far as I can tell. I tried to contact that person but saw no other posts. According to Jacal, her testimony was that this product did increase her bone mass. I've thrown out a question to this board about Ezorb to see if anyone else has used it and if they could testify to this products worthiness. So far I haven't heard anything yet.

Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nature54 For This Useful Post:
osteo37 (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

osteo37 HB User

Hi just wanted to say thanks for replying i look into that, again thanks its nice to get a reply.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

Nature54 HB User
Smile Re: can anyone give me advice

You are welcome Osteo. Just a quick note: Steroids can cause bone loss, particularly prednisone, if used over long periods. I know this because my sister had to be on it for many years and dissolved away at her shoulder and hips.

I am not on any steroids, but I have to take Arimidex, which is an after treatment med for breast cancer. It shuts down most of the estrogen my body makes (due to the type of breast cancer I had, which is fueled by estrogen) and that is why my bones are losing their mass. Estrogen in women helps keep our bones strong. That is why during menopause women lose bone mass too, because our bodies stop making it as we get older and no longer have the need to bear children, hence, these drugs you see on tv for older women like Boniva.

Well, I ran on too long there! I hope you find something that can help you.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Re: can anyone give me advice

Hi Osteo, I take calcium 600 mgs and vitamin D 1,000 mgs a day. Also I get the infusion Reclast once a year. Try looking on the internet for the company that makes the drug you need. I was approved for the Reclast with a place called Co-advocate, and they funded me $2,000. My husband also is funded through another company for his Rheumatoid Arthritis, and his cost every 6 weeks for his medication by infusion is $7,000, and he pays $150. You can try a search for Drug help, or co-pay help, or go directly to the manufacturer. They usually go according to your income and if you have insurance or not. Check with your doctor on taking the Calcium and the vitamin d. There is another web site "Web MD", and go to the Osteoporosis board. They also have doctors on there who respond.

The Following User Says Thank You to Precious55 For This Useful Post:
osteo37 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User
Smile Re: can anyone give me advise

I am new here and came across your post about ezorb so i just had to join. I have taken ezorb for a few years with great results. I was told i have severe osteo. when i was in my early 30's took fosmax , actonel all with no real results so went on the net to research and found ezorb . Had a dexa after 10 months of use with some improvement then another dexa done a year later showed a BIG improvement , doc said my hip went from that of an 85 yr.old to a 68 yr. old ( i am 52 ) have not had my dexa done yet this year. If you would like to see my dexa results i would be happy to post them here later. My brother in law also took ezorb for a heel spur took three bottles and heel pain gone . What works for some my not work for all but ezorb has really helped me. My husband is off work today so i have to go for now God Bless

Last edited by cabin921; 11-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

Hi, sorry I cant offer you any advice as I am newly diagnosed (female aged 58) I always thought I was relatively fit, still working 30hrs per week and running around all day after my family. I initially started with low back pain which I related to an old injury, however a dexa scan diagnosed severe OP with a T score of -4. Within weeks everything went quickly downhill ending up with 5 spinal fractures and a 2" loss in height. I am still waiting to see the consultant to commence on treatment!!!
I am really keen to know how your fractures have affected you as I am unable to stand up straight I keep looking at my back in the mirror to see if I have developed a kyphosis
my head has definitely come forward and I am freaking out! My family keep telling me that once my fractures heal I will be able to improve my posture but I'm not so sure. The stiffness across the base of my back is horrific, it feeks like a block of concrete.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
(female)

Nature54 HB User

Hello Takesti1:

Was checking my email and got a notice that there was a reply from this site I joined....but I'm confused. You asked a question about how my fractures have affected me? I don't have any fractures...yet...and hopefully won't. Perhaps you meant the question for the person who originally posted the question, which would be Osteo. I am losing bone mass though, in my hip and lower back. I am currently trying a product that I first heard about on this medical site under osteoporosis heading. Anyways, I also have scoliosis, but not from bone loss...found out I had it at age 23 during an x-ray at a chiropractor's office. I will know if it has helped after I take another dexa scan this coming summer. However, my sister suffered a fracture in her upper spine, one disc, and it caused severe pain in her leg? go figure, I thought the lower back affected the legs. Anyways, she had to have an operation as there were disc fragments pressing on nerves and that is why her leg hurt. Operation went well and it took her about 2 months to recuperate...physical therapy and all. She is overweight and a nurse by profession. She has been back to work and doing fine since.

Wishing you the best and a pain free 2011!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

thank you for your email, OP must be affecting my eyesight LOL. I will go back onto the posts to see if I can find the one I should have been replying to. Many thanks for info.

Lydia xx

Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
(male)

osteo37 HB User

Hi im sorry to hear about your fractures, i can understand what your going through. I recently got a new fracture making a total of 10 spinal fractures. With me the pain is still there even though my other fractures have healed, my curve is getting worse. I have also lost 2 inch in height and my t score is -4.2. I am getting my para thirode checked after christamas because i have all the signs of it. they cant control my blood pressure and every bone med. they put me on has had horrible affects on me the more I read on bone meds the scarier they sound. Have they found out what is causing your osteo, they said mine was gentic but i know if they can find what is causing it the better they can treat it. Make sure you walk alot that will help. I hope any of this helps.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

Hi there, apparently I have had a massive bone loss post menopausal. The OP Nurse phoned me today just to ask if I had my appointment to see the Consultant. I discussed Forteo with her, and although I dont really relish the thought of any of the meds when you keep fracturing you dont have a lot of choice. She tells me the results with Forteo are very impressive and it also helps heal the fractures quicker, so here's hoping. At the moment I have sat in the chair on the laptop for the past 3wks as it has been too painful to walk about. Hopefully when I commence treatment and the weather picks up I will start to walk.

Lx

Isn't the computer a wonderful thing that we can all chat like this!!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
(female)

Canna HB User

Some members here including me take Strontium citrate to help with Osteoporosis
You could research and find out if that is an option for you
It can be purchased at health stores.
I had one fracture prior to taking it but just about 3 years on it and fracture free!!

Closed Thread