It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #31
alex114475 HB User
Re: Migratory Transient Osteoporosis

Thank you all for sharing your stories. It's great to hear everyone's feedback on this uncommon condition.

I've been dealing with TMO since the end of 2014. I had increasing pain in my right hip that was eventually diagnosed as TMO. As many of you have experienced, the pain was disabling at times. It was almost 3 months before the pain subsided and I was able to walk without pain.

Unfortunately, my pain-free days were short-lived. From around the beginning of May, the condition re-appeared. This time in my left knee.

The knee pain hasn't been as intense and I only needed a cane for a couple of weeks and the Doctor had also prescribed a brace to reduce weight-bearing and I was feeling more and more mobile until about 2 weeks ago now.

It seems like the pain has been increasing and it's again becoming more difficult to walk.

Initially, the pain was on the inside part of the knee but now seems to be on the outside part. Has anyone that has had the condition in the knee experienced this? Did the pain on the one side of the knee linger as long as the other?

As you all have experienced, this has been a very frustrating experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #32
MyLeftAnkle HB User
Re: Migratory Transient Osteoporosis

Hi Alex114475,

I'm sorry to hear your TMO migrated and has been so painful. As my name suggests, I had TMO in my left ankle, not in the knee, but I wanted to share a few things.

First, I started with pain in September 2012 and was diagnosed in February 2013 on MRI. I posted here shortly after diagnosis. Your post is the first reply since then, and that's why I wanted to at least reply to you.

Second, my TMO migrated through half of the 26 bones in my foot, evidenced by serial MRIs. My pain has waxed and waned between moderately severe to debilitating for almost three years. This is the first month I can walk reasonably, though still with a limp as the TMO fused a couple of bones and disfigured a few more. I now wear a half to a full size larger shoe on my left foot than my right due to the disfigurement the TMO caused. During the course of nearly 3 years, I was off my foot entirely for 3 months straight, and walked with a cane for almost 2 years. I am grateful to say I finally no longer need the cane. Also, because I was compensating with muscles I didn't normally use to walk, I now have limited range of motion of my right hip. I hope to correct this with yoga or PT soon. I hope by hearing this, you can avoid doing the same (compensating).

Third, I was on a chronic low dose (250 mg) of Depakote (valproic acid) from 1992 until 5 months ago. While the doctor who prescribed it insisted it didn't have anything to do with my TMO, it wasn't until I went off it that the TMO started receding. I now believe it did indeed keep the TMO active. Three years is far longer than any literature I've read regarding duration of TMO attacks. So, if by any chance you are on that medication, I would suggest you talk to your prescribing doc about changing it to a different med. I do not fit the "typical" patient for TMO, i.e., I am an almost 63-year-old female, not a middle-aged male or a pregnant female.

I hope any of this has helped in some way. TMO is insidious, indeed. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you are able to keep your spirits up through the pain and that your course subsides soon (!) and doesn't migrate again. Blessings to you!
As we cultivate peace and happiness in ourselves, we also nourish peace and happiness in those we love.
--- Thich Nhat Hanh

Closed Thread