It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Unhappy Now what, what to take or not to take?

I've posted here before, and still hadn't found a medication that's right for me. My Gynecologist retired and I was given a new one. She said I need to start osteoporosis drugs NOW, or I WILL BREAK MY HIP and I WILL be sent to a Nursing Home. She was so firm in her tone.....that is so grim and depressing. I have noticed over the past year that my hip bone has thinned out, I don't even want to think of the rest of me. She said I need to be on any drug that will stop the progression of the disease and is looking in to some information on what will be best for me. My General Dr. was to notify me when a new drug came on the market, he didn't. I looked up on line and there is a new drug called proila (Denosumab) that was passed in June in Canada. I didn't do well with bisphosphonates and know this drug is similar in side effects, although it is not a bisphosphonate. I'm beginning to realize that there is no right drug, they all have side effects. They haven't passed strontium here, so that was one that seemed to have a lesser amount of side effects...What are you all taking? Anything else new? Anyone trying the denosumab?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Now what, what to take or not to take?

It's really hard to make a decision about what type of treatment to pursue. I can understand your concerns about medication side effects. I'm currently on Forteo however my last treatment will be in June then I'll have to make a decision about what to take. I can't give you any suggestions just that I understand your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, the doctor also mentioned if she can't find anything that maybe I could go on Evista, I've been on it before but after I got home I tried to remember why another doctor took me off, and remember I did, evista rose up my triglycerides into a dangerous level. I still have high triglycerides but nothing as bad as what they were when I was on evista.
When I use to be on actonel, tests showed I was losing calcium but the doctor never bothered to keep my levels monitored. I was disappointed with him for neglecting to recheck. I complained to him for 3 years that actonel was causing me pain. He gave me a lecture that I needed to stay on it. I eventually got acid reflux very bad and told my doctor I wasn't going to take actonel anymore. He didn't argue with me, took me off and told me to continue to take calcium & vit D. I've been doing that, calcium, magnesium and Vit D are not enough, at least not for me at this time.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Dorri, i can understand your confusion about what course of treatment to follow since you've tried a few of the mainstream ones already. I've been taking strontium citrate for almost 5 years and have had good results with it. My density is better and on my last DEXA i was heading towards normal in the hips and mid range osteopenia in the spine. For me it has been just what the doctor didn't order. Its not a script here either, but can be ordered online. I also take calcium, magnesium, D3 and fish oil along with a multi-vitamin for the over 50 crowd.

Something to keep in mind is that mainstream doctors are trained to fix any problems that we present to them. It is our job as patients to decide for ourselves if we are going to do as told or take a different path. Good luck in finding what is right for you. take care...phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
kaelin (01-19-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Phyllis, that's great news, what brand of strontium are you taking and how many milligram? I cannot get it here in Canada in the province that I reside, as it is not available anywhere. I do check with the health Food Stores periodically so I guess it's time to inquire about it again. How bad were your bones before you started taking strontium? I cannot remember my numbers off hand but know they were well in the osteoporosis range.

Last edited by dorri; 01-03-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi dorri, I've been taking NSI strontium almost the whole time i've been taking it. I order it online. Its reasonably priced and for me its proven effective. The recommended dose is 2 capsules taken together for 680 mg. total.

My scores weren't that bad when i was dx'ed..hips in mid osteopenia range and spine below -3. Of course on the report it said "severe osteoporosis", which i have since learned wasn't the case at all.

If you haven't read the book "the Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson get a copy to read. Its loaded with good common sense that will put things into perspective for you.

Do you have an exercise program you follow? take care...phyllis

Closed Thread