It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Angry Doctor doesn't understand.

I had an appt with my GP today, so I asked him if the other doctor had faxed over any recommendation for bone medication. He said I need to be on Actonel, so I reminded him that I was on it for 3 years and that it was causing me a lot of pain, and he said that the pain wasn't from that, I reminded him again that once I went off the pain subsided. He wasn't in agreement and told me to take it up with the other doctor. I walked out of there feeling like I didn't know what I was talking about. I felt like I was disrespecting his professional opinion. He's not me, so how could he possibly have known what I felt while on this med? Why do some doctors refuse to listen to their patients? Even the Actonel people say actonel is not for everyone. As I was walking out of his office, I told him I was willing to try something but I refuse to take bisphosphonates again. That was it, I exited!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Doctor doesn't understand.

Hi dorri, i'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your doctor. First of all you didn't do a thing wrong in stating how you felt about actenol or any other drug he'd like you to take. He was trying to take the easy way out for himself and totally disregarded your previous experience with the drug. You left the door open for other suggestions and he didn't take advantage of your willingness to listen. He basically told you that its my way or nothing. My suggestion would to find another doctor if possible and fire this one. Yes i said fire, the doctor works for you and its not your job to make it easy for him. He is there to treat you with respect, listen to what you say and do all he can to treat you the way that is best for you. Do you get to chose your dr. in Canada?

If and when you see him again have a list of everything you want to discuss visibly in your hand when you walk in and let him know that you are looking for answers and make sure he takes the time to answer them to your satisfaction.

It really upsets me when i hear of people being treated this way. If nothing else i have learned that we have to be our own advocates to get the care we deserve. We also need to educate ourselves so we have the info for an informed discussion.

Don't beat yourself up over this, just learn from it and go in ready to stand up for yourself next time. Hopefully next time you'll see the other dr. and it will be better. Gotta ask...is this dr. an older person? take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks I appreciate the response. My doctor never takes much time with any of his patients, for the most part, they are in and out within minutes. I am awaiting the call from my other doctor who said she would look into a new osteoporosis drugs and decide what would be best for me. If my bones were only marginally into osteoporosis, I would continue to use common methods to strengthen bone, calcium, weight bearing exercise, diet, and natural bone building supplements, but it seems my bones have really thinned out this past year, so now I admit I may need some extra help from medication. I can still apply all of the above with medication and hope for the best bone density. Still if I can help it, I would prefer to take a medication that doesn't cause me pain or some other horrible side effect. Thanks for understanding.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Dorri, have you taken the FRAX test? You can find it online. Its a long list of questions that takes many factors into considerations to determine your risk of fractures. Its not a definitive assessment, but does take a broader look at your risk.

Have you looked into strontium citrate? I've been taking it for almost 5 years (with no side effects) and have had good results with it, along with diet, exercise and the supplements you are taking. have a good weekend. take care...phyllis

Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
(male)

Todd500 HB User

Phyllis, you speak the truth in that it is up to us to stay informed and make educated decisions with our doctors. The first time I met with an endo, he was unwilling to listen and his attitude went downhill from there. Needless to say, he was relieved of his duties. I subsequently found a different doctor and couldn't have been happier. This doctor actually listened and was open to some ideas I put forth.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Todd, it does take some shopping around sometime to find the right doctor. When i was first dx with Graves Disease i went to an endo who was good at treating, but didn't want much to do with the follow up. I finally told him that my GP could do the same thing and that i would be under his care, in fact his wife has thyroid issues so he is familiar with the treatment.

I think as we get older we get bolder and know that doctors are people just like the rest of us. Better educated, but still regular folks. Although, with the internet i think we are all better prepared when we go to the doctor, that is if you choose to be. I guess some people still go in blindly and do as they are told. Luckily my doctor listens to me or i think i'd of been shown the door long ago...hahaha. Have a good weekend...take care..phyllis

Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Strontium citrate or any other form of it is not available in my area. I double checked with the Health Food Stores today, and still nothing. Two to three years ago Canada did a study on the prescription strength of strontium, but it was never passed as an allowable drug here. I realize that the strontium citrate you are speaking of is a health supplement, but there is no sign of it in any of the stores around here? Again, I question why? Had Canada passed the prescription strength, the supplements would have also popped out of no where. I do have to look up that study to see why strontium was rejected here.

Last edited by dorri; 01-07-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
(male)

Todd500 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri View Post
Strontium citrate or any other form of it is not available in my area. I double checked with the Health Food Stores today, and still nothing. Two to three years ago Canada did a study on the prescription strength of strontium, but it was never passed as an allowable drug here. I realize that the strontium citrate you are speaking of is a health supplement, but there is no sign of it in any of the stores around here? Again, I question why? Had Canada passed the prescription strength, the supplements would have also popped out of no where. I do have to look up that study to see why strontium was rejected here.
Dorri, if you can't find strontium locally, it is readily available online.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Doctor doesn't understand.

Hi and thank you for the advice. I was hoping that I could get it around here.

I did a quick search on Canadian Studies with strontium renelate and did come up with a couple. In a nut shell, strontium renelate's non vertebral risk reduction was only about 14% in comparison to 40-50% for Fosamax and Actonel. HOWEVER for [B]Vertebal fractures (hip, spine etc)...it rated as high in preventing fractures as the leading osteoporosis drugs.
I cannot understand why they haven't yet approved it as an alternative treatment for those who can't take bisphosphonates. They say some treatment is better then no treatment so why haven't they? Some say it can't be patented, others say to market it would take out some of the other leading osteoporosis drugs? Who knows for sure.
I don't think this is the end of strontium renelate in Canada, once it becomes a common and tested osteoporosis treatment in other countries, I think eventually Canada and US will follow suit.

I did come across some info on strontium citrate which says to check out where it comes from as not all come from safe sources. They seem to caution any strontium coming from China?

Closed Thread