It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

ChrisG2 HB User
How does Citracal affect urine calcium test?

My doc ordered a 24-hour urine calcium test to test my calcium absorption. I'm currently taking 3 servings of Citracal a day and am trying to decide whether I should stop taking it while I do the test. The nurse at the lab and my doctor's nurse gave conflicting suggestions, and neither seemed confident in their answer.

In my view, the reasons to stay on Citracal for the test are:
- It might give me a better idea of whether the Citracal is actually being absorbed
- Any problems with calcium malabsorption are more likely to be detected if I'm eating lots of calcium

Reasons against include:
- Maybe being on Citracal will exaggerate the results and make it look like I'm malabsorbing calcium, when in fact I'm just giving my body a really high dose.

***** says: "You may be asked to follow a special diet that is either high or low in calcium for several days before the test." However, my doctor did not give any specific instructions in this regard.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: How does Citracal affect urine calcium test?

For the 24 hr urine I"ve stayed on my Citracal. You could always stay on it and then if the doctor wants a test without it do another one. For the DEXA scan was told to stop it a day or so ahead of time because calcium can make the pictures look like there's more bone than there is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread