It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
(female)

Takesti1 HB User
Forteo and calcium supplements.

Is there member out there using Forteo with an alternative calcium supplement, or do you have to take Calchichew?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Forteo and calcium supplements.

I use Forteo and I take Citracal -calcium citrate + D3 630 mg tablets with 500 IU of Vitamin D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

I will look into these, its just that I was told by the OP nurse that I must take Calcichew D3 as these work along side Forteo. I have been taking a calcium supplement with magnesium, which I purchased from a naturopth but to be honest I have to take 6 a day and they are enormous, I have tried cutting them in half but due to the chalky consistency they stick in my throat. The reason I am against Calcichew is that it contains Aspartame. I know this is in alot of things today but I think the least we can put in the better. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Calcium Citrate is what my doctors recommend. Calcichew is calcium carbonate which I was told isn't as effective but is easier to absorb. Are these the chocolate squares that look like candy? I agree with you I wouldn't want to ingest large amounts of asparatame for no reason when you can buy pure calcium.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

not sure what you meant about chocolate squares,like candy lol. I haven't started forteo yet, the injections are due for delivery tomorrow (heart sink!!!!) I have started a very high calcium diet and was interested in high calcium levels and nauseous. I will have to decide on a calcium supplement and get started on them as I am not for Calcichew. So do I not take my supplement until 4hrs post injection? So pleased we have this site, I think its just awful the way we are left to get on with it. I was diagnosed at the end of October with severe OP and still not started treatment.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
(female)

KATC45 HB User

New research is suggesting (not the FDA) that taking up to 2,000 iu of vitamin D3 twice
a day helps to prevent bone loss, and buid up what was lost.

I was Taking Forteo and after three months went with my gut feeling and stopped taking it. Went to weight bearing class, took the vit D3 as suggested , calcium and of course
strontium 680 mg 2 caps every day. within 2 years got my bone denisty out of the
ostoeposrosis range and will not longer worry about scores.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

Hi Kat, were you okay on the forteo, I am really scared to start it, injections being delivered tomorrow! Unfortunately I dont think I have a choice but to start the forteo as my T score in -4 in spine with 5 confirmed vertebral fractures. If there was some other way I would take it, I feel like running away but no where to run to, looks like I will have to face it head on, and I know its getting nearer.

Lxe

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are some calcium supplements that are actually chocolate squares with calcium added. They taste gross.

I eat yogurt and drink some milk to get calcium from food but I still take the Citracal with Vit D so get about 1500 mgs Calcium and 2000 IU of Vitamin D. I also do weight bearing activities.

When my calcium level has been tested while taking Forteo it show slightly high but the doctor told me that's normal because of the medication. I've never had nausea from either the medication or the calcium. Good luck with starting the medication. Good luck with starting the forteo.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

KATC45 HB User

I did not have any fractures, I just did not want to be on any drugs, had to work hard and
just keep my spirits high. and was able to get my scores up, it worked for me. The three months on was on the drug , I did not feel any side effects, I just did a lot of reseach and did not feel it was worth the risk. Remember everyone is different. So you must do what
you believe is right for you.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

KATC45,
If I didn't have fractures I wouldn't take the risk of being on Forteo. In fact when the medication was first FDA approved patients needed to meet the guildelines which were bone density below -3.0, and fractures otherwise insurances wouldn't pay.

I'm glad you were able to improve your bone density without medication.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: Forteo and calcium supplements.

I had a once a year injection of Reclast in August and I take the Citracal plus D3, and I also take 1,000 mgs. of d3 once a day. My doctor said the Citracal is the easiest on the stomach. I have had one fracture from the Osteoporosis in the T 12 vertebrae and 5 months ago underwent a very difficult lumbar back surgery. I don't know if I will have the Reclast again this year as I had allot of side affects from it. I will probably go the Strontium route and take the Citracal.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Precious55
What side effects did you have from the Reclast, and did you have these all year long. Just wondering since I'll be done with the Forteo this summer. I hope your back surgery was successful.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
(female)

Takesti1 HB User

thank you for info, I dont know what I would do without everyone's help.

Lx

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

Taape,

The side affects I had from the Reclast were joint pains, and swelling in the ankles. These were enough to put me on medication for, and they lasted about 6 weeks.

Closed Thread