It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

beebones HB User
New DEXA results - on Strontium for 2 years

Hi All,

I have some new DEXA results. I've been taking Strontium since Feb. 2009, so 2 years now.

Now that I'm comparing two years - both when I was on Strontium, I think I can take the percent increases at face value. I had a 1.8% increase in the spine and 1.3% increase in total hip.

Last year spine was -3.0, now -2.8.
Last year total hip was -1.4, this year -1.3.
Last year femoral neck mean -2.1, this year -2.0.
[These T-scores are all unadjusted for Strontium.]

Not huge increases for sure, but I'm happy not to be losing like I was when I was on Actonel! Happy that my hip may not be osteoporotic anymore (it was -2.5 at one time) I don't have my blood and urine test results yet, but I'll have them soon and will post. Curious to see what my urine NTX is this year. I have an appt. with the endo on Wednesday. She's not big on Strontium, and will say that my gains are "insignificant", but I will continue taking it..............next year will be better !!

Cheryl

Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: New DEXA results - on Strontium for 2 years

Congratulations on bone improvement in bone density. Any gain upwards is great. I hope your doctor acknowledges your progress.

The following user gives a hug of support to taape:
tc4701 (02-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Cheryl, what great news , i agree with taape, a gain is a gain. Isn't it great when our efforts give a return? Keep up the good work. take care...phyllis

Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Hi phylwyll and everyone,

I haven't posted on this board for a long time, but I have been reading some of the posts. I haven't taken a bone density test for over two years now, I was spine-normal, left hip-2.3, right hip-1.4. The DEXA technician told me that my left hip was worse than my right because I am right handed and my right side is dominate, he says he's sees that all the time.

Anyway, I didn't decide if I wanted to start strontium, but I have been increasing my intake of strontium containing foods like onions and lettuce, I have a tossed salad everyday now, and once a week I make bone soup and eat it a few times a week., along with other calcium containing foods, EZORB, multivitamin/fish oil, etc. I tried to change my diet to more alkaline foods containing calcium, and it's worked out great so far, I've lost 8 pounds in the process.

Last month I suffered a bad knife cut on my finger trying to pry apart frozen salmon patties, so I asked my neighbor if he had any supplements with Vitamin K to enhance clotting, so he gave me his calcium supplement and I noticed along with Vit. K it contained magnesium and strontium, and I was surprised they were all contained in one pill and wondering if they were all blocking each others absorption, but I didn't care about that because I just wanted the Vit. K, because I take E-Zorb for calcium.

The more I think about it, E-Zorb is a great product, because the calcium aspartate get dispersed in the small intestine, not the stomach (according their web-site), and it does not need any participation of magnesium or Vit. D for absorption, so although E-Zorb might cost more money than other calcium supplements, additional expense of buying magnesium and in some cases, Vit. D. is not necessary. Additionally, the E-Zorb web-site claims that the calcium does not get stored in other parts of the body because calcium aspartate is one of the most absorbable calciums on the market, another reason why E-Zorb may be a good choice for women whose doctor's are advising them to stop calcium supplements for heart health.

Last edited by jacal5; 01-28-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Closed Thread