It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

BooRadley HB User
What can I mix strontium into for person who can't swallow pills?

My Mom can't swallow pills. I am wondering which food or drink I can mix the strontium in that isn't juice. (She doesn't like juice.) Also, I am trying to do it so that the strontium won't change the taste of the food or drink. She is open to taking the supplements, she just can't swallow pills, and if it changes the taste of her food or drink, she may or may not continue eating/drinking it.

What would my Grandma say? She's a ***** duck.

ETA: Asterisks? I didn't mean it that way.

Last edited by BooRadley; 01-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: What can I mix strontium into for person who can't swallow pills?

Hi BooRadley, welcome to the board. What a good question, its one i haven't seen before. I've always swallowed my Strontium and don't know if it has a taste or not. Have you tried mixing it with applesauce or plain water? Anything with a smooth consistency would work, but nothing that has calcium in it like yogurt or pudding. Does she like peanut butter, that might work too spread on a cracker or just eaten from the spoon. good luck and let us know what works, there may be others with the same problem that you could help. take care..phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 01-28-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

BooRadley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Have you tried mixing it with applesauce or plain water? Anything with a smooth consistency would work, but nothing that has calcium in it like yogurt or pudding. Does she like peanut butter, that might work too spread on a cracker or just eaten from the spoon.

Excellent suggestions. I will try the peanut butter first. I suspect that it doesn't have much of a taste, but is probably chalky. Anyhoo, thanks for the ideas.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Boo, i had another idea for you. How bout mixing the strontium with a teaspoon of honey, adding it to small cup of tea. Or mashed potatoes. For variety you could buy small jars of fruit baby food, but check the label to make sure it doesn't have added calcium. I'll keep thinking. Please let me know if any of these ideas work. take care...phyllis

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

BooRadley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
HI Boo, i had another idea for you. How bout mixing the strontium with a teaspoon of honey, adding it to small cup of tea. Or mashed potatoes. For variety you could buy small jars of fruit baby food, but check the label to make sure it doesn't have added calcium. I'll keep thinking. Please let me know if any of these ideas work. take care...phyllis
Thanks. She is allergic to honey (processed or raw), and will not drink tea of any kind. Aside from that, strontium shouldn't be given with anything that contains calcium, which narrows my choices further. I will have to look into potatoes. Not sure if they are calcium free or not.

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Closed Thread