It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Thyroid and Vitamin D....

I know there are several of us on the board who have thyroid issues. I've come across something interesting that i'd like to share and to get your take on. Over the past couple years i've upped my D3 intake and since then have had some confusing thyroid labs. I wasn't aware of the thyroid/D connection till i read about it on another board and did some reading. I had one of those light bulb monents when i realized that the D was affecting the thyroid labs. What happened with me is that my TSH was going up, but the Ft4 was staying where it should. I had labs recently and this time it was a big jump in TSH, but the FT4 was still in a good place. Now, a few years ago this would have freaked me out, but since i now go by how i feel it was no big deal and the dr. wasn't concerned either. I'm on total thyroid (after having RAI for Graves) replacement so for me its the Ft4 that is more important.

Have any of you noticed this change in your labs if you are taking more D than you used to? I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this. Have a good weekend. take care...phyllis

Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

BrittleD HB User
Re: Thyroid and Vitamin D....

Hi Phiyllis,
How have you been? I was just reading about your thyroid and Vitamin D issue. My thyroid levels have been just fine at least my labs say so. I'm Hypothyriod and have been on prescriptions for it for about 15 years or so anyway, I was taking almost 3000 iu of vitamin D3 a day, when I had my last lab tests done in Janurary she told me to cut down on the D3 because my levels were too high so I did, but I'm just wondering if my thyroid is off because I have lost about 10 pounds since being on Vitamin D. I just wondering if it's messing with my thyroid too. I really dont need to loose 10 pounds I only weigh 91 pounds now when I first started taking Vitamin D, I weighed 100. My doctor isn't worried about my weight at all, so I don't know. I get labs done every year. So I just thought I would tell you what was going on with me and D3.

Take care,
BrittleD

The Following User Says Thank You to BrittleD For This Useful Post:
phylwill1152 (03-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi britt, thanks for writing. All is well here. I've read where Vitamin d can help with weight loss, but that is one thing i haven't seen happen even though i wish it would. I'm a bit confused..did your dr. tell you to cut back on the D because of your D level was too high or because you lost weight even though your thyroid labs were ok? My TSH went from about 2 up to 6, but the FT4 was ok. By that i should be hypo but i feel fine, no hypo signs at all. As small as you are i don't understand why your dr. wasn't concerned about the weight loss, unless she thinks that by lowering the D some of it will come back. Is she an endo?

It seems that D affects so many parts of your body that its bound to mess with labs. My cholesterol and triglycerides were up this time too. In reading D is supposed to help cholesterol but in my case things went down instead of up. the good went down, the bad went up. I'm going to cut back on D and see what happens in 6 months, I've been taking about 3000 mg a day too, and with summer coming i'll get it from the sun. I know people who are taking way more than that, but i wonder if our thyroid issues make us more sensitive to it. Have a good day. take care...phyllis

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi britt, thanks for writing. All is well here. I've read where Vitamin d can help with weight loss, but that is one thing i haven't seen happen even though i wish it would. I'm a bit confused..did your dr. tell you to cut back on the D because of your D level was too high or because you lost weight even though your thyroid labs were ok? My TSH went from about 2 up to 6, but the FT4 was ok. By that i should be hypo but i feel fine, no hypo signs at all. As small as you are i don't understand why your dr. wasn't concerned about the weight loss, unless she thinks that by lowering the D some of it will come back. Is she an endo?

It seems that D affects so many parts of your body that its bound to mess with labs. My cholesterol and triglycerides were up this time too. In reading D is supposed to help cholesterol but in my case things went down instead of up. the good went down, the bad went up. I'm going to cut back on D and see what happens in 6 months, I've been taking about 3000 mg a day too, and with summer coming i'll get it from the sun. I know people who are taking way more than that, but i wonder if our thyroid issues make us more sensitive to it. Have a good day. take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis,
The doctor cut me back on my Vitamin D because my levels were to high, it had nothing to do with my weight. I just realized I was taking 3800iu instead of 3000 like I said, so anyway she cut me back to 2000 a day.
No, my doctor isn't an endo just my family doctor, infact she is my nurse practioner. I think the reason for my weight loss was my job I started walking 2 hours a day, I clean offices, now that has changed a little and only work 2 or 3 days a week so maybe the weight will come back on. I have always been thin about 105 or so at the most. So I guess she wasn't worried about my weight just too much Vitamin D.

My Cholesterol has been good my bad cholestrol is a little high but my good cholestrol is really high so she took me off my cholestrol meds last year. I haven't had to go back on those anyway. My skin got really, really dry on the cholesterol lowering meds, so I'm so glad to be off those.

Take care too.

Closed Thread