It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

ajordangirl HB User
Question On Forteo...what next?

I have just begun my 15th month of Forteo. I am not having bothersome side effects, but am still concerned with all the warnings, and want to be off as soon as possible. I agreed because after much research, my thought was that maybe I could slow the loss during these immediate postmenopausal yrs when it is supposed to be so much more rapid...I have no fractures, but severe osteo and wanted to avoid, if possible. My doctor told me that after 18 mos the curve of increase is much less, and I really am considering stopping at that point. What I am now wondering is this: What IS the next step? What would be the most common medication prescribed after taking Forteo? I cannot take any of the bisphosphonates, had severe reaction to Actonel. Second question, where can I learn about strontium...why is this not offered as an option, not FDA approved? How has it become so known/used? Thanks to any with insights-and thanks for the shared words of encouragement!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
(female)

KATC45 HB User
Re: On Forteo...what next?

Hi,
I was also told to use Forteo but after 3 months, my gut reaction was to get off of it.

I have been doing weight bearing excerize for 2 years now and taking strontium and no
longer have osteoporosis. Strontium can be purchased on line and is much safer than
Forteo.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Ajordangirl:
Most Drs in the US don't know about strontium. Strontium ranelate (Protelos) is commonly used, quite successfully, in Europe. It was developed, tested, and marketed by a French concern. As no US company stands to gain by its introduction here, it has been pretty much ignored by North America. We are lucky in that Strontium citrate (which seems to have equivalent effect) is available in this country as a "supplement" rather than a med. The FDA takes virtually no interest in the regulation of supplements
so access to Strontium citrate is not controlled in the least. Good stuff!
Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

ajordangirl HB User

You mention the successful use of strontium in Europe; I would like to read of the research/documented results gained by it's use. Would anyone know where to find this? How long has it been in use for osteoporosis treatment? Is it proven to be more effective than other agents used in the US?

As cannot take bisphosphonates, not even sure what would be suggested next, to me.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
(female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

I read on the Strontium that you can't take vitamin D or calcium with it. Can't remember, but think it is calcium. What do you do when you take a multi-vitamin in the morning and the evening and they both have calcium?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Mitsy:
You MUST take calcium (and D) while you are taking strontium, you just cannot take them at the same time. Calcium & strontium compete for the same sites to latch onto and you don't want them competing. I take my last calcium with at dinner and the strontium at bed-time.
Ajordangirl:
Just google strontium ranelate. There's tons of literature out there and it's all remarkably positive.
Good luck all!
Carol

Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you for your response. i will research this.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

ajordangirl HB User
Exclamation Re: On Forteo...what next?

I did so, and have read quite a bit, but still have many questions...and what should arrive in my inbox this am but exactly what I needed! A lengthy-but-essential article which permits a close analysis of options/why recommendations are given as they are. Not so helpful re: strontium, but re: all FDA approved treatments. As I read, I will be able to better decide what I will NOT use, and that may also help re: deciding whether or not to pursue the strontium. Do you know if Europe has done these evidence-based studies? Is there an agency like the FDA? What is it called? Could not locate, but not sure how to search this more advanced info.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-11-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
(female)

I was on Zometa a biphosphonate and as a result ended up with osteonecrosis of the jaw. I have been on forteo but you can only use it 2 years and the results go away when you stop it.

Closed Thread