It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

Thisisnewtome HB User
Newly diagnosed Osteoporosis.

I have just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis in my spine, Im only 52 and it was discovered because I had an accident and broke my hand.
The scan showed Osteoporosis in my spine and Osteopenia in my hips.
I had no idea, no symptoms and so I feel glad its been discovered but devastated...
Ive been taking Losec for 6 years and I had no idea that this causes malabsorption of calcium and vitamins, my life was just too traumatic and stressful to consider anything else at the time.
I had already started taking calcium and Vitamin D3 because I thought it might help with my fracture but now of course I must consider what treatment I should take.
It was suggested to me that I take Prolia maybe, I have read up about it and the side effects are horrendous!
Does anyone have any advice for me please?
At the moment Im trying to digest all this, I have a very active life that I have only just begun to enjoy, I dont know what my prognosis is, though the nurse did tell me that having been caught this young I can regain my bone mass by 50% with treatment.
Thankyou for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to Thisisnewtome:
aritame (07-31-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed Osteoporosis.

Hello, and welcome to the board . First of all don't freak out about the DX. The nurse is right, you have time to make lifestyle changes that will help your bones. In the beginning we are all scared and fearful of what could happen with our bones somewhere down the road. I don't know what options you are looking at, but there are several. You can go the drug route, but educate yourself about them before making any decision. Listen to what your gut tells you. You could try strontium citrate and see how that works for you. Strontium is a natural supplement that some of us here are taking, its safe and most don't have any side effects from it. Its what ive been taking and have had good results with it. You said you were active, do your activities include both weight bearing and weight training exercises? You might also want to read the Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sansone. Its a good book that helps put your fears in perspective and is loaded with good advice about options on how to treat your osteo. It was very helpful to me in the beginning and to many others as well. Give yourself time to digest what you've been told and go from there. take care...phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
babenrosie (04-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

I feel for you ThisIsNewsToMe, it's such a scary feeling to be told you have Osteopenia or Osteoporosis, this happened to me a year ago. However, this looks like a great forum, full of information for other people like us... I have just ordered the book mentioned by phylwill1152, thanks so much. And now I am going to read the back posts, I am so glad I found this forum!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

mgarbo HB User

i also was diagnosed with osteo in my spine 4.0 and hips 3.7 im 53 and scared about the whole thing. go back to the dr on 5-11 tho decide treatment. he wants me to either do the iv or shot treatment i just dont know what to decide. i have back issues a spinal fusion a year and a half ago and now also have two herniated discs in alot of pain.i did try boniva and another prescription forget the name and could not handle either one make me very sick. can anyone give me advise on what to do

Reply Reply