It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
carrageenan and health risks

I bought a rotissorie chicken from the supermarket a few weeks ago, and my stomach started to burn so badly about an hour after I ate it, so I searched it up and apparently some of those pre-cooked chickens contain carrageenan (made from seaweed) which can cause stomach distress and other unhealthy conditions like arthritis due to inflammation, cancerous stomach polyps, etc. and there is an adverse affect on bone, but I didn't understand the research documentation on the bone affect. I checked some other foods I ingested that evening, and two other items I ate contained carrageenan also; coffee creamer and cream puffs, so I had a triple dose of it.

This morning I ate an egg, avocado, mushroom, collard green omellete with whole grain pita bread, and ate half a banana with Cool Whip and a few walnuts on it, and again, my stomach is burning all morning. The Cool Whip (in the tub) did not list carrageenan as an ingredient. I looked at the whipped Cool Whip in the can on-line, and sure enough it contains carrageenan, so I would bet the tub must contain it also but it's not listed.

This bad reaction to carrageenan that I am having has affected many others also, one person I read about even went so far as to have his gall bladder removed because of the gastric distress he was having, but the pain didn't subside, until he figured out that carrageenan caused it all along and he took it out of his diet.

This food additive is in breads, ice cream, chocolate milk, yogurt (lots of things we eat for calcium), so search it up and decide if you want to continue to eat products with carrageenan.

Last edited by jacal5; 04-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread