It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

Julee Anne HB User
Mom/Compression fracture/79 yrs old/scared :-(

Hi Y'all...

First post... sorry to begin as the frantically worried daughter, but there you have it.

My Mom, who has always been vibrantly healthy, in shape, at the gym, etc experienced a sudden pain while bending over and coughing about 2 months ago. Her bone scan revealed a compression fracture and the MRI just confirmed 2 more. She is in pain, but not terrible pain. She went through menopause at 42, has a very thin frame and her doctor wants to put her on Fosamax. She also has glaucoma that is not too bad right now... other than that she is pretty healthy. She eats really well and has always exercised.

I am really scared for her. If a bone can break that easily what is in store for her? Her sister just died last week, all bent over and with terrible dementia.

She is taking vitamin D3 now along with doing all the things I've told her to do... sardines, canned salmon, walnuts, sitting in the sun 20 minutes per day, raw milk, pure salt (the pink stuff with the minerals intact) as well as doing all the things the doc told her to do. She won't use a cane, and tried to wear high heels last week... after that she hurt for days. She's vain as anything and looks about 50, if that, with no plastic surgery ever.

She's my favorite person on earth and I am very worried. I want more time... lots and lots of time. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julee Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Mom/Compression fracture/79 yrs old/scared :-(

Welcome Julee Anne, this is a very informative and great forum. I am a newbie myself but have already learned a lot. I am sure the more experienced members will have more information for you but one of the first things I learned about from this forum is a great book called The Myth Of Osteoporisis, by Gillian Sansone. Its a good book that helps put your fears in perspective and is loaded with good advice about options on how to treat osteoporosis, should that be your mother's case. Best wishes and hope your mother has a speedy recovery.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Mom/Compression fracture/79 yrs old/scared :-(

Hi Julee Anne,

Welcome...I always have to respond when I see someone who is scared, I always want to encourage you to replace the fear with information, as you are doing here...good job.

I can see the love you have for your mother, and of course after learning about your mothers health lifestyle, some thing like this would be shocking. But, we all fall prey to the frailties of the human body, it happens to the best of us!

You are in the right place to learn first hand about your questions.

Closed Thread