It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

BrittleD HB User
Question about Strontium

I want to try taking Strontium again. Can I take it at the same time as I take my multi vitamin since it has 250mg calcium. I'm just trying to figure out when to take it

I'm hoping it doesn't cause me to get headachs this time

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Question about Strontium

Hi Brit, from all i've read strontium shouldn't be taken near calcium. Since calcium and strontium are similar if you take them together it could cause absorption issues. Would taking your multi with supper and then the strontium at bedtime work? Its a real juggling act to take things at just the right time. I sometimes take my strontium at the the same time as lipitor and fish oil. Not sure if it the best thing to do, but at least there is no calcium involved. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi Brit, from all i've read strontium shouldn't be taken near calcium. Since calcium and strontium are similar if you take them together it could cause absorption issues. Would taking your multi with supper and then the strontium at bedtime work? Its a real juggling act to take things at just the right time. I sometimes take my strontium at the the same time as lipitor and fish oil. Not sure if it the best thing to do, but at least there is no calcium involved. take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis,
Another question for you then. I know you said you take thyroid prescription. I'm thinking about taking it about 4 hours after my thyroid meds . Do you think thats enough time in between the two. It wouldn't work for me at night since I usually have yogurt at night since I work late, and I'm always starving I wonder if I space 4 hours in between anything I take.
That might also work if I take the Strontium at supper and calcium at night before bed....I could also do that. Thank you Phyllis for the suggestions. Your always so helpful.

Have you been taking the Strontium for a long time now with out any breaks. I was just wondering if I would need to take breaks at all. I'm just hoping I dont get headachs again. I took one yesterday and didn't, so we will see.

Thank you!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Britt, i take thyroid meds first thing in the morning, but i think taking the strontium 4 hours later would be ok, i would think that would be long enough so there isn't any conflict between the two I usually wait about that long before taking other supplements. I try to take the strontium on a mostly empty stomach, but the bottle i have says you can take it with food. If you take it with supper that would be on a full stomach, Maybe an hour or so before supper would work, it would ahve a little time to be absorbed before eating.

I did take 3 months last summer off from SC, just to give myself a break. I'll stop again this summer before i have a DEXA and when i see the results i'll decide if i'm going to continue with it, drop to one cap a day or stop taking it for 2 years and see what happens at the next DEXA, while keeping up the other supplements and exercise.

Maybe you could stay on one cap a day for a while and see how it goes before going to two. I don't remember what your scores are, but if they aren't bad one cap may be what you need. I've read lower doses work just as well as the 680mg, but it just takes a bit longer to see the results.

How's the weather in CA? take care...phyllis

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

BrittleD HB User

Hi Phyllis,
That sounds good then. I'll figure out somthing. I just want it to work. I can't really remember my scores, but I think they were like 3.4 or so in the hip and not as bad in my spine. I wont have another DEXA until Janurary next year. I have only taken one capsul each time so I think I will stick with that like you said at least for awhile and see how I do.

The weather here has been nice, it's been in the 60s and low 70s, it's cloudy today so we might get a little rain tomorrow, they say.

Let me know how your DEXA goes this summer. Thank you for all your help. Take care!

Last edited by BrittleD; 04-19-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Closed Thread