It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Osteoporosis Numbers

I have osteoporosis, my T-Scores are ... Hip -1.9, Spine -3.0... My doctor wants me to start treatment. She talked about a once-a-year shot. I have no idea what my numbers mean, are they very bad? I hate medications since I often get very bad side effects. I'm scared of that shot, what if I have bad side effects? Pills you can stop--but an annual shot?

I could understand if I were around 50 - 60 years of age, but I'm 82 and feel that probable most people at that age have some osteoporosis. I also have to admit that I do not trust doctors very much. Over the years I found if you have a problem they don't really care to find out whats wrong, they just give you pills, pills, pills for the symptoms. Therefore I wonder if that shot is really helpful at my age. And does anybody know if my numbers are extremely bad for my age?
Laura

Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

thyroida HB User
Re: Osteoporosis Numbers

I'm in my early 30s and my numbers are almost the same as yours (in reverse, hips -3.4 and spine -1.9). I'm not taking any meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I am also extremely sensitive to meds. I've tried all the osteo drugs without success due to bad side effects from all of them. Your scores are not bad at all for someone your age. The annual injection is just another form of a bisphosphonate (pills) that have very serious side effects. I'm 67 and refuse to take any osteo drugs. Read the book, "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sansone. It will help to alleviate any anxiety you have over an Osteoporosis diagnosis. Do research on all the osteo drugs before taking any.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I don't think your T scores are that bad for your age. I have worse scores and I'm alot younger than you. Do you have any fractures or pain caused by the osteoporosis? My doctor is recommending I take the yearly injection of bisphosphonates too. I don't want to take any medication that is a year's dose of medication because if there's side effects, your stuck with this huge amount of medication in your system. At one time I was offered a quarterly injection but decided not to do that either.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

Your spine is osteopenia, osteoporosis starts at -2.5, really not too bad for your age.
Remember that the numbers predict the chances of fracture, not who. With your numbers known, I would check out the FRAX calculator for more info.

There will come an age at which I will not take some medications depending on my health. Under your circumstance, this would be one of them.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Thank you guys for your replies. I have to see my Endocrinologiest (sp) every six month because I have a bening 3 cm nodule on my tyroid and she keeps track of it with ultrasounds. Last time she ask if I ever had a bone density test. I had one almost two years ago and my regular doctor put me on a once a week pill, which I never took.
When I showed my Endo doctor the osteo report, she sat back and raised her eyebrows as if the numbers were overboard. That when she told me about that once a year shot. I right away told her that I feel at my age .........etc. She got kind of mad, told me "don't get me going etc." and told me to get another bone density this coming June. Ever since I got that report two years ago of my osteoporosis I made sure to get lots of calcium, taking calcium pills, eat yoghurt daily, eat lots of cheese etc.
When I get my new bone density report in June I will compare my numbers and if they stayed about the same I will refuse to take that shot.
I don't have any fractures, walk and bike a lot, also work out with little 2 pound weights daily.
Sure I have some aches and pains and stiffness, to be expected at my age, but I'm still up and around. I don't always take prescriptions doctors want me to take, maybe that is why I am still up and around. Right now I take 5 and that is enough.
You guys help me to put down my foot with the doctor.
Sorry poor grammar, spelling, english is not my native language.
Laura

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Yesterday I had my 2 year follow up bone density test. The numbers are exactly the same as they were in 2009, when I was 80. T-Spine -3.0, T-Hip -1.9. Sorry doctor, I will not take any pills or shots. I will keep up eating lots of calcium rich foods and do my exercise.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I agree with your decision. I'm not taking that stuff either. My scores actually improved with just diet and exercise - though it was a small improvement. And all had me at osteopenia - and just barely - and not osteoporosis. Hang in and hold your line.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Laura B (06-28-2011)
Closed Thread