It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

hpittypat HB User
new DX of Osteoporosis

Hi, I need help from someone with osteoporosis. I was diagnosed with it recently and I don't know what to do. I am scared of the drug (actonel) my Dr. prescribed because of the side effects of all these types of meds ,like jaw death, increased risk of fracture, heart problems. I guess I just don't trust the pills the doctors are pushing nowadays. I do take otc calcium and vit d supplement daily. My doctor does not know what kind of exercises i can do---she says to ask a physical therapist. Do you think it would hurt if I used Tony Little's easy shaper? It allows you to strengthen your muscles and stretch, but I don't know if it will hurt me. I know I am not supposed to bend over at the waist or twist and I won't do that, but can I do the other exercises? My back hurts almost continuously when I am standing up and my Dr. says it is probably due to compression fractures, but she doesn't tell me what to do about it. I get NO help from her. I take Aleve sometimes for the pain and it seems to help. Can anyone give me some advice on meds and exercise that has helped them? I just turned 64 years old. Thanks for any help!! Pittypat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with osteoporosis

Hi Hpittypat,
You may want to start a separate thread with your questions. More people will see it and reply. Do you know how to start your own?

Last edited by moderator2; 06-06-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: moved hpittypat's posts to make a separate thread

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

hpittypat HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with osteoporosis

Dear Taape, thank you so much for replying to my question. No, I have no idea how to start a separate thread...I am not very good on the computer. Wow, I can't believe someone from California actually emailed me!! I live on a farm in WV. No neighbors for miles!!! It was nice to see that there is life out there. I'd like to ask you a question if I may. Have you heard of organic vegetal silica, made from spring horsetail? I read about it at length on the web and I am very hopeful that it may work for me. But I need to ask what other people who have tried it think of it. Or do you have any suggestions of what will work for me? I am so afraid of all the prescription drugs the Dr. wants to prescribe. Most of my pain is in my spine. It is very painful to stand for any period of time or to bend over. I don't take anything for pain except an Aleve now and then...I hate drugs. I would appreciate any help you can give me, and again thank you for taking the time to email me. hpittypat

Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: new DX of Osteoporosis

Hi hpittypat, welcome to the board . To start new threads do what you did to post your first one. if the questions are related put them together, but when they are of different topics make separate threads. Taape is right, you'll get more responses.

It seems that either your dr. isn't very informed about osteo treatment or he doesn't want to take the time to explain what to do. Maybe seeing a different dr. would be a good idea if this one isn't helping you. For exercise questions talk to a physical therapist or a fitness trainer trained to help people with osteo. With the kind of pain you have you sure don't want to do anything that will make it worse. Are you able to go for walks? Just going for regular walks is helpful, even if they are only a few minutes each several time of day.

I am not familiar with silica, but like you won't take the drugs now available. I do take a natural supplement called strontium citrate that i order online. There are several of us on this board taking it. I've been taking it almost 5 years and have seen gains in my scores without any side effects. While you are researching options, please check it out. If you have questions i'll be happy to help. take care...phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
hpittypat (06-07-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
(female)

Treowth HB User
Re: new DX of Osteoporosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpittypat View Post
Hi, I need help from someone with osteoporosis. I was diagnosed with it recently and I don't know what to do. I am scared of the drug (actonel) my Dr. prescribed because of the side effects of all these types of meds ,like jaw death, increased risk of fracture, heart problems. I guess I just don't trust the pills the doctors are pushing nowadays. I do take otc calcium and vit d supplement daily. My doctor does not know what kind of exercises i can do---she says to ask a physical therapist. Do you think it would hurt if I used Tony Little's easy shaper? It allows you to strengthen your muscles and stretch, but I don't know if it will hurt me. I know I am not supposed to bend over at the waist or twist and I won't do that, but can I do the other exercises? My back hurts almost continuously when I am standing up and my Dr. says it is probably due to compression fractures, but she doesn't tell me what to do about it. I get NO help from her. I take Aleve sometimes for the pain and it seems to help. Can anyone give me some advice on meds and exercise that has helped them? I just turned 64 years old. Thanks for any help!! Pittypat
Well, Ms. Pittypat, I believe you and I are twins separated at birth! Our
stories are almost identical. I think for the moment, our best bet is to be grateful we found these message boards so we can check in every day to get the advice our doctors are keeping to themselves.
I can offer you this about your pain if you're having muscle spasms: Flexeril. It knocked my spasms out in 2 days (I have a 3-week old T7 compression fracture). So now without pain to control my movements, I don't
know what my limitations/restrictions are, either to treat this fracture or to prevent another. Maybe the two of us can keep in touch with
this group and learn together.

Closed Thread