It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

costaricafinca HB User
Unsure...

I have osteporosis in both hips (-2.6 ) & forearms (-3.0) & osteopenia in the lumbar reg (-1.4 which has improved) and throughout my body (-1.5)
I was first diagnosed 2 years ago. I am now taking more calcium, Vit. D plus eating better & exercising. And the monthly med that is available here in Costa Rica is IDENA and is NOT known to be marketed in North America. My doctor is encouraging me to use Reclast or Aclasta as it is known here.
My problem is that there isn't many resources available here for information so when I have read some bio's of other forum members, I was wondering if you tend to have osteporosis & osteopenia, in multiple areas like me, but just report it as a single occurrence.
Any advice to go for it or avaoid it like the plague?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Unsure...

Hello Costaricafinca, welcome to the board . The only places that are checked when i have a DEXA are hips and lumbar spine. I think when other posters refer to their osteo is it usually in those 2 places. Not everyone gets other parts of their bodies scanned like you did. With scores like yours it makes me curious as to why your dr. is encouraging you to take Reclast or any of the other drugs since you have seen improvements with the things you're doing now. When your dr. suggested the Reclast he was giving you his thoughts on how to treat your osteo. It's up to you to decide if you will take his advice or do as you have been doing. There is a lot of osteo info online that you could read that would help you make a decision that you can live with. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

costaricafinca HB User

Thank you! I should have mentioned, that for my first two scans, only a partial one was done, for hips and spine. but this was unknown to me. It was not discussed.
Only this week when I went for a new one was I asked if I wanted a partial or full scan, and I choose a full scan. Turns out this is their brand new equipment which offers both, and so did my 'whole body' and my forearms.
There is only a limited choices of available meds here, so I will think on this some more as I am in good health otherwise, and don't want to open 'the proverbial Pandoras box'

Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hello, if you are looking for a more natural approach look into strontium citrate. Its a natural supplement that you can order online. It helps build density with very few side effects. I've been taking it for almost 5 years and have seen gains with each scan I've had with no side effects. take care...phyllis

Closed Thread