It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Cell Phones and Bone Density

Research has shown that men who carry cell phones for 15 hours daily on their belts have decreased bone density in the pelvic area. According to this study, it would be beneficial for bone health not to carry cell phones close to the body.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Cell Phones and Bone Density

What study was this? That's pretty scarey. I know alot of people who carry their cell phones on their belt or waist not just men.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

The research that has been published in the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, said that the electromagnetic fields emitted by mobile phones can harm bone density. The researchers were from Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, in Turkey, and used X-ray absorptiometry to measure bone density of the circumference of the pelvis or iliac wings of 150 men who used to keep the phone on their belts.

I know women who carry cell phones on their belt, also, but I always try to keep my cell phone away from my body, because I believe the research which says that the radiation fields from the phones can cause tumors, but I know some people who don't believe it and continue to talk on them constantly and carry them on their body. Now we have to worry about cell phones being detrimental to bone density!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

jacal5,
Thanks for the information. I keep mine in my car and only use it when I have to. A cell phone is the last thing I need to take away bone density.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Thanks for the information! I am one who carries the phone in my pockets because I often don't have a purse with me. I will be more careful from now on, thanks! Ruth

Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome to both of you, I'm glad I passed on useful information. I just came back from my water aerobics class and I am wiped out, the instructor gives us a great workout, and I told her I appreciate her toning exercises as well as the aerobic ones, and she said her exercise plan is great for bone density, strengthening/toning, and losing weight, I am very impressed with her.

I continue to juice almost everyday (thanks to the posters here for that diet/and improving bone density tip about juicing) and I eat a much lighter diet and get regular exercise, and I am down from 153 lbs. (when I first started water aerobics) to 144 lbs (my goal is to be 138 lbs., since I am only 5'3").

I've had other benefits due to my lifestyle changes; my knees don't hurt any longer, and I used to have chronic breast pain on the left side but now it is all gone, and I have so much more energy than I had before!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

That is awesome! Sounds like the water aerobics and juicing are really making the difference! That's especially encouraging that there is less aches and pains, congrats! Keep up the good work! Ruth

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57: Thanks so much for your congrats and good wishes, my post was really meant to help and encourage others in case they wanted to try juicing/exercise if they can tolerate it, and not to brag about myself (lol). One other positive that I didn't mention, my resting heart rate went from the 80's down to 61 (I was tested at the senior health fair by a nurse).

Last edited by jacal5; 06-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I think it's great that you promoted physical wellness by exercize and better nutrition and juicing - that helps everybody out! And that's especially great about the change in your resting heart rate as well - congrats!

DH had his lipid panels done again. He's been following my diet of fish, organic chicken, organic veggies & fruits, organic yogurt, milk and whole grains. He eats red meat once or twice a week; I still can't digest it, so I avoid it. Anyway, his total cholesterol came down to 215; his HDL is at 60, it was 40 before. So I thank you for your suggestions on proper eating, it helped me and DH! We're still not perfect, but we're getting better.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, a 20 point increase in HDL, that's great!

You might want to read the book the "PH Miracle" by Dr. Young, it's about changing your body from acidic to alkaline, this book was a real eye opener for me, the book advocates veganism, but I really can't eat that way, however, there are several tips on how to help your body become more alkaline (it's better for bone density and everything else it seems), so now I am wondering if my reduced aches and pains are from getting my body to a more alkaline state via juicing.

I'm so glad your DH's numbers improved so much and I was helpful to both of you!

Take care.

Last edited by jacal5; 07-05-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Closed Thread