It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Summer walking...

Hi everyone, the summer has turned hot and humid here in IL. This is not my favorite season of the year, i'd much rather it be cooler outside. I like to do my walking in the early morning, but even at 6 its already sticky out. I have to admit i've skipped a few mornings. I still do a twice a week weight training with the ladies who come in to exercise, but that's in a nicely AC'ed building, with all the fans on. Have have you altered your walking and outdoor time because of the heat? Any suggestions for beating the heat while walking?

The upside to all this sun is all the vitamin D we get. Is it any wonder that people feel so much better in the summer than in winter when there is less sun. Have a good week, take care..phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
Re: Summer walking...

I walk at to the mall. It's close to our house and is air conditioned. There are a lot of seniors and it's better walking for me because I have 2 knee replacements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Pattyanne, we live about 50 miles from a mall, but if one was close i'd do that too. With so many store windows to look at i bet you don't get bored. Thanks for your suggestion, wish i could use it . take care, phyllis

Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Yes, the hot temperatures in the middle of the day are too much. I either go early in the morning or just before sunset. I like walking outside. You can get a shirt wet and wear it or buy one of those neck things that you can get wet then it keeps you cool while walking. Also, I bought a small water spray bottle and carry that and spray water on me while walkiong. If it's an extended heat wave then I go walk on the treadmill inside but I much prefer walking outside.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI taape, this morning when we got up at 530 i saw a neighbor running by the house. You gotta admire someone who will get out in 90% humidity and stick to their program. I work this morning so i'll get my exercise in in a nice cool building. I admit it, i'm a wimp when it come to hot weather. I've seen those neck scarfs that keep you cool but haven't tried one yet. I'll look for one next time i get to a bigger store. We can walk at our local hospital, but the thought of walking in the halls over and over does not appeal to me and i'd run over the slower walkers...hahaha. Thanks for the tips. Keep cool. take care...phyllis

Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Good luck with the continued walking. The heat I can take but with humidity that would be a different story.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi everyone, the summer has turned hot and humid here in IL. This is not my favorite season of the year, i'd much rather it be cooler outside. I like to do my walking in the early morning, but even at 6 its already sticky out. I have to admit i've skipped a few mornings. I still do a twice a week weight training with the ladies who come in to exercise, but that's in a nicely AC'ed building, with all the fans on. Have have you altered your walking and outdoor time because of the heat? Any suggestions for beating the heat while walking?

The upside to all this sun is all the vitamin D we get. Is it any wonder that people feel so much better in the summer than in winter when there is less sun. Have a good week, take care..phyllis

I envy you all that nice sunshine and warmth! Frankly, this summer has been downright chilly and wet for where I live in the Pacific Northwest...When it does get too warm to walk outside, I take my early walk and am usually okay, but my afternoon walk might be too warm so I resort to the treadmill, and yeah, I know it's boring, you feel like a hampster in a wheel but hey, it's better than nothing. Stay cool and good health to you! Ruth

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ruth, i've never been to the Northwest, but have heard about the weather. I guess no place is perfect. Isn't it great how we all adapt ourselves to the weather conditions where we live? For me nothing beats walking outside, we don't have a treadmill so its deal with the weather, do a video or skip it all together. I enjoy waking in the winter, but then its the wind that stops me. We live in a rural area and when the winds blows across fields, it really blows. I wonder if people who live in HA complain about the weather.

One thing i've learned over the years and miles is that you do the best you can and if it doesn't work out one day it will the next. Take care...phyllis

Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello, i was reminded of another hot weather walking aid. I can't remember the name of the product but its a neck scarfs that has a gel inside that you put in the freezer. Now that sounds like something that would help all of us get thur this heat spell. Has anyone tried one of these scarfs and if so how did it do?

We're going to be under a heat warning all week... 90+ and humid. Keep cool and have a good weekend. take care...phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 07-16-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Phyllis,

I would give that neck scarf a try; I used something similar when we went to Palm Springs, but that is dry dessert heat. It would probably help in humidity as well? Early morning is probably your best bed I would think, good luck and I sure hope you get a break from the heat soon. Ruth

Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ruth, i wish i could say its cooled down some, but it hasn't. It just seems to get hotter each day. My walking buddy and i go at 6AM and yesterday it was hot, muggy, and no fun even then. We've been getting up early to pick blackberries and i'm glad that this morning my husband went without me since i go to work at 7. We've picked almost 30 lbs. so now we're done and will lets others come get what they want.

I'll look for a cool scarf next time we get out of town. I haven't seen any in our local stores. have a good day and keep cool. take care...phyllis

Closed Thread