It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
How I got stronger bones

First of all, I never had osteoporosis - just slight osteopenia, and never had any fractures or serious symptoms, but I thought my story might be worth reading. The disease does run in my family.

I increased my bone density from 85% to 95% (normal) by doing the following:

- Eliminating most dairy products, especially milk and ice cream. I still eat cheese and yogurt.
- Eliminating soda pop completely.
- Cutting back sugar by about 80 to 90% (depending on the week). That includes natural fruit juice - sugar is sugar.
- Keeping coffee intake to two cups a day.
- Take hormone supplements for menopause.
- Take 2000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day.

I never took a prescription for it, and never would. I'd rather have brittle bones than take that stuff. I'm not athletic at all, but I keep my weight normal by diet. I don't smoke or drink.

Pasteurized dairy and other pasteurized foods (which includes fruit juice!) leach calcium from your bones, as does sugar, soda, coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol. D3 helps your bones absorb calcium and makes you feel a lot better. Raw dairy is healthy, if you can find it, but nobody actually needs it.

The horror stories I've heard about bone-building drugs have convinced me to never, ever, ever try them. You can set a broken bone, but it's much harder to treat necrosis of the jaw.

My message: What you DON'T put in your body is just as important as what you do. And it's not easy, but it worked for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arggg For This Useful Post:
LSF (07-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: How I got stronger bones

HI Arggg, well said. Thanks for letting everyone know that improved density can be obtained without resorting to harsh drugs. Along with the calcium and D3 you might want to add magnesium, it also helps the body absorb calcium. take care...phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to phylwill1152 For This Useful Post:
Arggg (07-25-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

LSF HB UserLSF HB User

"What you DON'T put in your body is just as important as what you do."

Thanks - I am always focusing on find the magic supplement that will help iand not concentrating enough on your comment above.

The Following User Says Thank You to LSF For This Useful Post:
Arggg (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

Good advice. I would never take plain calcium without magnesium. 2:1 ratio.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arggg For This Useful Post:
Precious55 (07-29-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
(female)

pianolady HB User

I find this post extremely interesting. I got an osteopenia "diagnosis" earlier this year at age 51. I have a family history, but have always done the "right" things that should have prevented it. My assumption was that I would get it anyway, because everyone in my family does.

This year, I started running (did my 1st 5k in September) and doing weight lifting exercises (using progressively heavier weights as I am able). I also changed my diet somewhat, eating even more fruits and vegetables than before. I also increased my vitamin D intake by 2000 IU per day.

I will be interested to see how these steps will affect my bone density. I am with you on taking the meds--kinda like stepping from the frying pan into the fire!

Have you read "The Myth of Osteoporosis"?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

I haven't read the book, no, but it certainly is a myth.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
(female)

Aluma HB User

Thanks all your info was grey helpful, I,m seeing the Dr. Monday about my bad Dexa and know he will try to talk me into the Medicine which I,m afraid of.

Reply Reply