It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

JP1223 HB User
Smile Question about strontium, vit. K and magnesium

I have been working on improving my osteopenia scores for two years. On my latest bone scan, I improved the femur score (from -2.0 to -1.5) and femoral neck from -1.7 to -1.1), but my spine score dropped from -2.1 to -2.4. In researching what more I can do to stop further deterioration, I see that taking strontium along with magnesium and vitiamin K have shown good results. I have been taking 1200 mg of calcium and 2000 mg of vit. D for 2 years. I also started lifting weights and walk 4 - 5 days a week. My question is how much strontium, magnesium, and Vit. K is an appropriate daily amount to take? Thanks for your help and time, JP1223

Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Question about strontium, vit. K and magnesium

HI pj1223, welcome to the board . Your scores are good even with the dip in the spine score. You are doing the right things to help your bones and are seeing the results of your hard work for the most part. The recommended dose of SC is 680 mg. a day usually taken in a 2 capsule dose. That is how the brand i take works, but other brands may have different doses per cap. Main thing it that it adds up to 680. You could take a smaller dose a day and still get good results but it may take longer to reach them and with your scores all in the osteopenia range that my be a good a dose for you. You don't want to take too little, but you don't want to overdo it either. As for magnesium i read somewhere that you want to take half as much magnesium as calcium. I take 500mg extra, plus whats in the multivitamin, with the 1000 mg of calcium. Magnesium not on helps calcium, but for me has also helped me sleep better since it has a calming effect on the body. I don't take vitamin K2 so i can't help with that. take care...phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

JP1223 HB User

Thanks so much for your quick response! I am heading out today to pick up strontium and vit. K-1 to add to my regime of vitamins and exercise to hopefully keep my progress going in the right direction. After doing a lot of research and reading this last week since my new scores came back, I have certainly learned a lot - especially that I hope not to have to take prescription medication for ospeoporosis!!!! It is helpful being able to read about other people's experiences and ask them directly what works for them. Have a great rest of the day, Janet

Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI Janet, nice to meet you. I take it you found a local store that sells SC. One more way to assess your bone health is to take a FRAX test, which you can find online. Its a series of questions that takes many factors into consideration and then determines your risk of fractures with the info you supply. In some ways it may be a better indicator of bone health than a DEXA since it looks at the person as a whole rather than just how the bone looks. I checked the FRAX test and they have really cut down the number of questions, it should take less than 5 minutes to take. Have your report handy. I have a DEXA on Friday and will post the results when i get them. take care...phyllis

Last edited by phylwill1152; 07-27-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added info

Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
(female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Good luck Friday!
Carol S

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Carol, thanks for the good wishes. i've been doing all i can (within reason ) to improve my density, so i'm hoping for better scores than last time. I stopped the SC at the beginning of the month in preparation for the DEXA so i'm good to go. Depending on the results i may have to rethink what to do about the strontium. To continue taking it , stop or keep up everything else ad see what happens in 2 years. I can't remember if you are taking SC or not. take care...phyllis

Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
(female)

JP1223 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
HI Carol, thanks for the good wishes. i've been doing all i can (within reason ) to improve my density, so i'm hoping for better scores than last time. I stopped the SC at the beginning of the month in preparation for the DEXA so i'm good to go. Depending on the results i may have to rethink what to do about the strontium. To continue taking it , stop or keep up everything else ad see what happens in 2 years. I can't remember if you are taking SC or not. take care...phyllis
Hi Phyllis, nice to meet you, as well!! Thanks for the suggestion about taking that survey. I will try to do it tomorrow. Good luck on your scan Friday!! I see that you mention having stopped taking SC prior to having it done. Can you let me know about that, please. Thanks! I think it was you that had posted a response to another member about the timing of taking the different supplements and I agree that it is better to take them when you can, instead of forgetting them all together. Did you say you take calcium and magnesium together or not? I read a study that talked about stopping calcium and only taking magnesium for several months because the magnesium would pull calcium out of places you don't want it like joints and puts it back into your bones. Have you seen that info? It than said to begin adding calcium and magnesium together after the several months. I wonder if that is a good idea or not. Again, thanks for your time. I appreciate your help!! Janet

Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Janet, when i went for my first DEXA after starting SC the hospital had no idea what to do with someone taking it. After waiting a while, while they discussed it my dr. found some info saying that to get a more accurate reading that stopping SC for days prior was the thing to do. He never did share that article with me so i don't know where the info came from or it it is even the way to go. So i went home, stopped taking it, and went back 30 days later. Since that is how i did the first one i've done the same thing each time. Some stop for 30 days and some don't, its a matter of choice and keeping things consistent.

I am on total thyroid hormone replacement so that is the first thing i take in the morning when i getup. Later in the day i take other supplements and at bedtime SC. Some days i forget them, but most of the time i do. I do take calcium and magnesium together and the extra D3 also. There has been a question about that for years, but since they make calcium caps/tablets with magnesium already added i figure that its ok. I haven't read anything about stopping calcium for several months and only taking magnesium.

The one think to keep in mind when wading thru all the info is to remember every source is telling their version of what to do. Same thing with supplements, exercise programs or the drugs. They all have their own agenda an want to get you on their bandwagon. Read what you can then decide for yourself which you are going to try and which you will let slide. Have a good day. take care..phyllis

Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
(female)

JP1223 HB User

Hi Phyllis, Again, thanks for taking the time for your thorough responses to my questions. You are spot on about everyone wanting people to get on their bandwagons, so it can be somewhat overwhelming trying to sift through the info and figure out what is hype vs. accurate info. It is great to actually discuss the info with someone who has been talking particular supplements. Hope your dexa will show improvement! Have a good rest of your Sunday and beginning to your week! Janet

Closed Thread