It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Hi Phyl/All - Does anyone know anything about the Hologic Sahara Bone Densitometer?

Hi Phyllis and everyone,

Today I went along with my DH to have a bunch of tests , mostly stroke detection tests for a very good price at our church. However, we got ll the test including a Hologic Shara Bone Densistometer. It was very interesting. Youjust put one of your feet in this machine and it scans it to give you a T score. I was not surprised to hear that it was -3.2 as I have had severe osteoporosis for years and even was on 2 years of Forteo. I also took the other test where I put my thumbs on a little gadget. I think the tech said that one came out OK whatever that meant. I will find out for sure in a couple of weeks for all the tests.

First of all does anyone know how that minus 3.2 can tell you anything specifically since it doesn;t tell you which areas of the body and how it compares to the regular scanner where you lie down. I am supposed to be having that done in another couple of months, probably about October or so. I haven't had one in about 2 years and have been on the Strontium Citratefor a close to a year I think. I surely hope there have been some gains or I know the doc will want to put me on some yucky medicine. Been there , done that and none really worked I don;t think except possibly the Forteo.

Has anyone found this machine to be very reliable? I know that I will soon be having a real or should I say regular test soon which will tell me more.

I have been trying to find my old scores which could possibly tell me something even though I do not understand how this new scan works. in 2009 it says that my T score for my lumbar spine was 3.6 (so that might be a gain to possibly 3.2 but it is not necessarily the same area. However, the 2009 score also said the left hip was-minus 2.8. . Don't know if that will have anything to do with what I got today on that other machine -3.2. Since this machine is so general, not sure how it can say much other than I know I may still be in the range for severe osteo.

Can anyone straighten me out?. I surely hope this Strontium Citrate, K2, and Boron has helped me besdies the D3 and Ca. Since that foot machine is so general I guess I will just have to wait to get my real Bone Density scan.

Just wondering if anyone has had this foot scanner for BD and how accurate it was after you went and had your regular scan.

Thanks Phyl and all for listening to me going on. Just curious if anyone else has had this foot scanner and how they felt about it, It surely was easy but then again the other one is to (:!!.

Hugs,
Granni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Re: Hi Phyl/All - Does anyone know anything about the Hologic Sahara Bone Densitomete

Hey Granny how's your summer going? I had the heel test at a local health fair 5 years ago that prompted me to go get a DEXA. Is that the same test you had? Did it feed out a little piece of paper with your results? Or is this an entirely different machine? Oh, was it a test you had to pay for? If it was free it was what i had that started this ball rolling. If that's what you had i think they are used more as a DX tool rather than a hip/spine assessment. I'm not familiar with the thumb test so you'll have to tell me about that one.

I'm going in for a DEXA in the morning so i'll be able to share those results some time in the next week or so.

I will keep my fingers crossed that your coming DEXA shows good gains. I had gains after 9 months of SC so you should see some changes, hopefully for the better. If your dr. tells you you need to start one of the drugs remember that it is your choice to take them or not. He can suggest, but ts up to you to decide what to do..Sorry i can't be more help, maybe some of the othrs can fill in the blanks for you. Have a good evening. take care..phyllis

Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User
Re: Hi Phyl/All - Does anyone know anything about the Hologic Sahara Bone Densitomete

Phyllis,
Just curious how bad your scores were when you first started (from that first foot scan) and how you are progressing. I will be excited to see how you have done now.

Just curious if you still have the info. what your foot scan showed and what was the T score on the following regular DEXA scan afterwards, how close it was to any of your scores on the regular scan.

Nothing to exciting this summer so far. However, tht will be changing soon. First some grand kids come on Sunday and 2 of them will stay till the following Saturday. Then, a few days after they leave I will be flying to NY to see some of my brothers family. BTW, I don't think I will get off the Strontium for that month or for when I am flying., I will either take a regular aspirin or the low dose.

Hope you are not as HOT as we have been although we are sort of used to it and most have a/c at least window units. We have full a/c and fans too.. TTYL and thanks for answering so quickly.

Hugz,
Granni

Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

HI, thought i'd check the board while the green beans are cooking and there was a reply from you already. I love when that happens. I can't remember what the heel scores were, but when i took them with to my regular check up a week or so later he sent me for a DEXA. my scores from that one weren't all that bad. Hips were -1.9 and the spine i think was a -2.7. So even from the start they weren't that bad altho the report said "severe" osteo, which i now know is code for prescribe meds whether needed or not. Like you i will never take the current batch of drugs. that was 5 years ago and since then have had a 14% gain in overall density, maybe even more now, but we shall see about that. Even with the inaccuracies of a DEXA when dealing with strontium i feel that even if if was only 7-10% of that is still a good gain. DEXA machines aren't calibrated to read strontium and no adjustments are made

Its been very hot and humid here, but not as bad in your area. We've been in the 90's during the day had high 70's overnight. Let me tell you, the early morning walks aren't much fun, but we do them, have coffee at McD and then get on with the day. I've been doing some canning, trying to keep the flowers watered and staying inside a lot. I'm ready for fall!!! take care...phyllis

Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Phyllis,
I wish you could remember the heel score. That is what I was concerned about. Gee, your scores were not that bad at all - 2.7 is I think the bottow or should I say the top of the second set of ranges befofre Severe Osteo. That other you had was only 1. something, I forget. That sounds very good to me.

According to what I found on Google yesterday anything below 2.5 is consdered SEVERE. Geez !! I wish I knew more about that heal test and how accurate it is and how it gets to that number since it is only from the heal.

How many years ago did you start on the Strontium? Did you start right away when they wanted you to start on drugs? Did you ever take ANY? What year did you have the heel test?

I am now very anxious to see what my real scores are. I just hope I have had some imporovement. i will tell them I am taking Strontium Citrate but I doubt if any of them ever heard of it, will be surprised if they have (:!!

In 2002 my T score of my LT. femur was 4.0 same in 05 . My Lumbar spine in 02 was 2.3 and it got worse in 05- minus 2.6. I had copied all this from the original sheet of paper. Do not positive all this is absolutely correct. In 2009 my lumbar Spine was 3.6 and Lt hip was 2.8. This last one ws at a different place too so not sure ifwhat is what. Looks like perhaps some improvement. They did measure the LT HIP but not the LT. Femur exactly but hope this one will show more.

Looks like there have been some gains we'll see with this next scan. Let me know when you get yours back. When do have yours done? BTW, these are all T scores. I amnot going to stop taking the Strontium. I think you said you did. Also when I fly I will just take at least a baby aspirin.

Bye for now and please keep in touch and try and stay cool. It looks like WE are not going to get any of that storn DON or much ofi, may not even get any rain at all. Of course will have to see if things change.

Hugz,
Granni

Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

"According to what I found on Google yesterday anything below 2.5 is consdered SEVERE."

-2.5 is the beginning of osteoporosis, NOT severe osteoporosis!
You would need to check WHO to find the correct numbers.

Different bones in the body have different densities. Whether the numbers on the heel test are reliable is hard to tell because most DEXA do not do heels. However, it does get people to become aware of bone density, which is probably its best use.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI granni, first of all stop worrying about the score you got on the heel test. Wait till you get the real scores from the DEXA and then worry if you need to or an even better scenerio would be to find out that you've had gains and keep doing what your doing. Stress is no good for your bones or any other part of you. Goal for the weekend..RELAX.

I started SC in the fall of 2006. I had the heel test in the spring of 2006 at a local health fair. I took actenol for 2 months before deciding that it wasn't the right thing for me to do. I took nothing for a month and then started the SC. During that time i educated myself to other options and decided that for me SC was the way i wanted to treat the osteo along with with more exercise and other supplements.

I had the dexa this morning and will get the results sometime next week. It was done on the same kind of machine you mentioned in you subject line. Have a good weekend and remember, no more worrying. take care...phyllis

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Dexatech,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure how I wrote my post but I know that a BD of -2.5 is NOT SEVERE osteo. Not sure how I wrote it but I did not mean that. I am going to do more checking anyway. Yes, I do understand that this screening is just a means of general checking to see or find people who might have Osteoporosis and do not know it. I already know it as i have had it since 2002. Most of what I have taken hasn't worked very well other than the Forteo injections. I also would rather not take any more meds. so I am on the Strontium Citrate right now.

I guess I will just have to wait until have my regular scans in October or so. I had never had the "heel test" so was wondering about it. Trying not to worry as I am already on enough other meds and supps. Wishing it would just go away now but that's not likely to happen, I know (:!!

I was also very curious if I could find someone who took this heel test and how this number compared to their regular dexa scan numbers.

Thanks for you interest and your post

Blessings,
Granni

Closed Thread